Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #61
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
And by the way, the two commands do nothing on my DXG.
Hm, maybe there needs to be a sleep between them? If you have this kernel module for contrast installed, that should be how you can reassign each gray level from the command line.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #62
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
@isoterm: I tried it on my K3 hoping it'll work out of box just like it nicely does on DXG. I installed it manually but it doesn't work, i.e. Shift + D-Key do not function (which was to be expected). I read what you have @twobob were talking about earlier about K3. Given, I don't know what you've done to eink_fb_hal.ko to make it work (and it's closed?), I can't proceed to make this module work on K3 too. Can you or anyone else chime in to make it workable?

To be honest, as compared to this other solution, I like this module way more, and that's why I prefer this one.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-21-2015 at 02:16 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #63
kamerek
Enthusiast
kamerek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG fw 3.3 SN B009
@ isotherm - What is gamma_ramp patch file in the zip package for?
kamerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #64
kamerek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
For those not desiring to upgrade their Kindle DX to 3.2.1 in order to get PDF contrast, here is a replacement that allows setting contrast (and more!) throughout the whole system. It replaces a kernel module and adds a simple watcher so that you can modify the contrast with the keyboard. In addition to contrast, you can also reduce the number of shades so that page turns are faster and/or flashless. The README is duplicated below. Enjoy!

Code:
NOTE: This has been tested on a Kindle DX Graphite 2.5.8. You must update your
Kindle DX to this version before installing the update! Installing on the
3.2.1+ adaptation should be okay but hasn't been tested.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Plug your Kindle into your computer.
2. Copy update_contrast_0.1_install.bin to the root of the Kindle.
3. Eject/unplug the Kindle DXG.
4. Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select Settings.
5. Press the Menu key again, and select Update Your Kindle.
6. Select Ok when prompted if you want to perform an update.

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
1. While holding Shift, press up/down to move among 5 contrast levels.
2. While holding Shift, press left/right to move among 3 bit depths.
   (16 shades is default; 4 shades has faster updates; 2 shades has no flashes)
3. While holding Shift, press the five way to invert the screen.

UNINSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Plug your Kindle into your computer.
2. Copy update_contrast_0.1_uninstall.bin to the root of the Kindle.
3. Eject/unplug the Kindle DXG.
4. Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select Settings.
5. Press the Menu key again, and select Update Your Kindle.
6. Select Ok when prompted if you want to perform an update.

INTERNAL DOCUMENTATION
It adds a command 99 to /proc/eink_fb/update_display which takes 16 numbers as
arguments. These are the shades 0-15 that each shande should be mapped to before
it is displayed. This allows you to set up pretty much any mapping you want. e.g.
echo "99 0 3 6 9 12 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display

LICENSE AND DISCLAIMER
You may freely use and share unmodified versions of this software so long as
you do not charge a fee for redistribution. This software may not be bundled,
preloaded on devices, included in collections, or otherwise aggregated without
prior written consent of the copyright holder. All other rights reserved to
the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

tried install the file but no response from DX with 3.3 OS. )i have copied to root folder the folloowing:

update_contrast_0.2_install.bin

readme

gamma_ramp

No regular update information screen from kidle, so I have restarted it and got updating screen, then - update failed -=

code 003

press r4, so I did .

luckily my dxg works fine, I was worried I end up with brick... So why it did not work?
Old 01-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerek View Post
tried install the file but no response from DX with 3.3 OS. )i have copied to root folder the folloowing:

update_contrast_0.2_install.bin

readme

gamma_ramp

No regular update information screen from kidle, so I have restarted it and got updating screen, then - update failed -=

code 003

press r4, so I did .

luckily my dxg works fine, I was worried I end up with brick... So why it did not work?
Because it is for the 2.5 firmware.
Put the current 2.5.8 firmware back on your Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #66
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Given, I don't know what you've done to eink_fb_hal.ko to make it work (and it's closed?), I can't proceed to make this module work on K3 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerek
What is gamma_ramp patch file in the zip package for?
gamma_ramp.patch is a patch against the DX 2.5.8 kernel which implements my changes. It may also be able to be applied with some effort to other Kindles that use a same or similar kernel. I think we were discussing that earlier in this thread.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #67
kamerek
Enthusiast

Ok right now I do not have capability to change gamma ramp patch . So I am stuck with slow refresh, but working 2nd screen on DXG with 3.3 OS
Old 03-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #68
lettsvett
lettsvett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX b004
Repack for b004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo View Post
I too can't install this hack. The C source file is included in the original post, so can anyone repack it for the white DX (B004) please?
Did you ever come around to repack this? Else i am gonna give it a try.
lettsvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerek View Post
Ok right now I do not have capability to change gamma ramp patch . So I am stuck with slow refresh, but working 2nd screen on DXG with 3.3 OS
if you have the 3.3 OS kernel in your DX(F) -
that would be kernel version: 2.6.26
you should not expect a module for kernel version: 2.6.22 to load.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #70
mil
mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kyobo Mirasol, Yotaphone 2, Bouye t62
Hi. Thank you for this app for kindle!!! But, please, can you explain, why it not work on kindle dxi? Please!
mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil View Post
Hi. Thank you for this app for kindle!!! But, please, can you explain, why it not work on kindle dxi? Please!
Only the firmware version should make a difference.
What firmware version is your DXi running?

The device must be jail broken for this to work.
What all have you tried to uninstall?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #72
mil

Big thanks for answer!
1. update kindle to 2.5.8 version.
2. install jailbreak 0.10.
3. then i read jailbreak must be a 0.11 version, but i don't found 0.11, and install jailbreak 0.13.
4. but update settings in menu not active.
Please, can you help me?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #73
mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The device must be jail broken for this to work.
What all have you tried to uninstall?
may be i must install only jailbroken 0.11?

Last edited by mil; 07-06-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil View Post
may be i must install only jailbroken 0.11?
No.
Unless otherwise stated, we maintain reverse compatibility.

Translation:
Always install the most recent build unless specifically told not to by the author of the add-in you want to install.

Most recent builds are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Directions in text of that post.
Explanation of how to deal with xz compressed archives included in that post.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #75
mil

Ok. Thank you! I install jailbreak 0.13, but update still not active(( , maybe i must install python 0.14 package?