Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #3451
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600, Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The 3rd season of Grand Tour just started on Amazon Prime Video. It is pretty good. It gets battered about by those who sneer and say it really isn't a "car show", and it really isn't, so what? It is an entertaining comedy series that features three goofy guys and a lot of cars few people could ever afford. Personally I think it is better than 90-95% of the shows on Motor Trend (formerly Velocity) which tend to be little more than California chop shops ruining antique and classic automobiles. At any rate, the new season just started if you are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Agreed.

I've always been a fan of the UK's version of the three stooges, and Clarkson and company do it well. The first season three episode compare the US big three's (Ford, GM and Chrysler) versions of modern muscle cars.
Yes. Doubly agreed. If you're looking for hard information on cars, this probably isn't the program for you. But accept that it's an entertainment show that happens to be based around cars, then it's great.

I enjoyed the first episode; looking forward to the next. It seems that Amazon are releasing these at the same time for the UK and US markets?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #3452
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Alexas Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Yes. Doubly agreed. If you're looking for hard information on cars, this probably isn't the program for you. But accept that it's an entertainment show that happens to be based around cars, then it's great.

I enjoyed the first episode; looking forward to the next. It seems that Amazon are releasing these at the same time for the UK and US markets?
I think so. I think they make them available On Demand in all the markets about the same time, but I'm not sure. Shows like the BBC's Top Gear are typically released in the UK first and in the USA a few months later, but the BBC is still a broadcast company and Amazon is a streaming company.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #3453
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I almost never use Alexa to listen to Audible; I'd rather stream Audible through her from a device. I like the controls and I especially like how granular the speed of the Audible app has gotten, with 0.05 intervals. 1.25X is too fast for me with a reasonably fast narrator reading fiction when the performance matters, but 1.10X is imperceptible and saves a lot of time over the course of 20+ hour book.

That said, I'm glad to know. More tools are always good.
Thanks for the tip on the 1.10x speed. I'll try that. I use Alexa almost exclusively now for listening at home because I walk from room to room (and floor to floor) and can just start the audiobook, in progress, where I am. I primarily use my Itouch for non-Audible stuff, but am able to use the Audible app for about 90% of those.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #3454
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The 3rd season of Grand Tour just started on Amazon Prime Video. It is pretty good. It gets battered about by those who sneer and say it really isn't a "car show", and it really isn't, so what? It is an entertaining comedy series that features three goofy guys and a lot of cars few people could ever afford. Personally I think it is better than 90-95% of the shows on Motor Trend (formerly Velocity) which tend to be little more than California chop shops ruining antique and classic automobiles. At any rate, the new season just started if you are interested.
I just saw on USA Today that:

Quote:
Amazon renewed the show for a fourth season last month – before the third was released – but said future seasons will feature only road trips. So no more celebrity segments, awkward interactions with a studio audience or talking about the latest news from the car industry.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #3455
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Alexas Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I just saw on USA Today that:
So basically they are keeping the best part and throwing out the talk show garbage. Works for me! Of course that will drive up production costs, so hopefully it doesn’t get cancelled after season 4 due to cost overruns.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote