Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
SmilePlz
SmilePlz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ctrl+B in mode "book view"

Hi I'm using version 0.9.10
in the mode "book view" when I press Ctrl + B inserts <span style = "font-weight: bold;"> </ span>.
in the mode "code view" when I press Ctrl + B inserts <b> </ b>.
Why do I need it. When I use an e-book to quickly open documents, I disable css styles. I often make notes in the text to quickly find key phrases. In linux, there is no similar program to read something and immediately mark the <b> ... </ b> tag with an interesting idea. I suffer from it. I don't know how to do it. Help me please.
SmilePlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That is done by design. It's valid code. If you don't want the span code, then don't use the style buttons (or their assigned keyboard shortcuts) in Book View. Book View edits (even simple ones using the same button) are entirely different beasts than Code View edits. That's what people often fail to understand. We can better control what code gets generated by the styling buttons in Code View, but we have very limited options as to what code Qt generates in Book View with the same buttons (and same shortcuts). We've chosen the option that absolutely guarantees spec-compliance.

And the bottom line is: those who make wysiwyg edits don't really get to complain about the code that's generated for them. You can't have it both ways. If you're particular about the code contained in your ebook, then make all of your edits in Code View. It's really that simple.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-20-2018 at 10:33 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No doubt there are valid reasons for using Book View, but if you are opening decently formatted html, I think you are much better off sticking entirely to Code View. I park Preview panel off to the right, where it serves for all practical purposes as a WYSIWYG display of your code.

The last time I used Book View was to check some hotlinks, a year or so ago. Since working links were added to the Preview panel, I haven't touched it. For me, that was the only thing Sigil lacked before it achieved perfection.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
...if you are opening decently formatted html...
Indeed. If the html is correct, there is little work to do in Sigil.

But when converting a manuscript that uses spaces for formatting (among the other naughty things authors sometimes do) we have to do a bit more. And there are a few layout tools in Page View, notably the List, Indent and Justify commands, that I'd be sad to lose.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote