Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #211
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I read through this thread for the first time today. Unbelieveable! If you don't like it don't use it.

I saw the reference about Booktome and checked it out. It supports ebooks now. I tried it and was underwhelmed. Calibre is easier to use. For now, calibre remains way out in first place but I'll keep looking (while continuing to use calibre). I have six complaints but also have found easy ways around them.

1. The proprietary file folder system.

I keep my original file folder and stay the heck out of caibre's. I have plenty of disk space and will have room for more before too much longer. Keeping the original folder acts as just another form of back up (yes, I'm paranoid). I understand the reason for the proprietary folder system (and like the benefits) but would prefer if it didn't have multiple layers. But it doesn't so I keep my original folder (keeping the orginal folder also serves as a check to make sure a file hasn't been lost; I just compare the number of files in my folder and in calibre). No big deal.

Post edit: After using calibre for a while now, I've become confident in the way it organizes my books and just don't give the north end of a southbound furry rodent how it does it. I still keep my orignal books but only out of habit. Since calibre can save my books to disk in any filename format I want, I don't really need to keep the originals. Should all development of calibre cease (I'll probably die of old age before that happens), and it's in danger of becoming obsolete due to OS upgrades, I can just save my books to a folder and use it to "feed" a new e-book management program.

2. When searching authors in the tag pane (the one to the left of the main list), authors are filed alphabetically by first name.

When editing the meta data after entering a book, I just copy and paste the last name first author field to the other author field. Takes 2 seconds. No big deal.

Post edit: this has been fixed.

3. Never could make sense of how to get calibre to read my original filename system.

Since I'm still building my library from paper books I'm cutting apart and scanning, I don't need calibre to be able to read my filenames. I just edit the meta data as I add the book (if I was starting with a library of 1000 books, I would just pester someone here to spell out how to do it). No big deal.

4. There is no searchable field on the main page to list books as being read or unread.

I could could add a tag showing unread and remove it once I've read it but I've found it easier to use the Rating field and have one star to show read and no stars to show unread. No big deal.

Post edit: Calibre now has custom columns. I made a custom column for Unread. Since the star rating sytem worked so wel before, I continued to use it in the new column.

5. Documentation for calibre sucks.

This forum is outstanding and pretty much compensates for the paucity of documentation. Even Kovid has popped in with fast answers. Again, no big deal.

Post edit: Documentation has improved somewhat. I still depend heavily on this forum to walk me through the occasional problems I run into. Thanks for that, you all!

6. Doesn't ignore "The" when sorting.

Edit: Actually, I've found it does so scratch this one

These are minor complaints not worth worrying about since they are so easy to deal with. Being the greedy bitch I am, I'm always going to want something better and will keep looking but, given the number programs I tried and was underwhelmed by, I don't really expect to find anything soon, if at all.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 12-31-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #212
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
6. Doesn't ignore "The" when sorting.

Move "The" to the end of the field as in "Book Title, The." Still no big deal.
Just checked calibre - when I sort by title then "the" and "a" is ignored, that is for example "The Princess..." is listed right after "Pride..." and before "A Prisoner...".
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #213
stisev
Austrian Economist
stisev began at the beginning.

Device: X51v
kovid,
If there's no bin solution, is there a way to force calibre to accept ALL settings (no registry, no .py files, nothing!) in one folder located in /calibre/config
I googled + searched forum and found this:

D:\Applications\Calibre2\calibre.exe --with-library D:\Applications\Calibre2\config

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's working. Is there some error in my syntax or something?
stisev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #214
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
search this forum for

CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #215
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
Just checked calibre - when I sort by title then "the" and "a" is ignored, that is for example "The Princess..." is listed right after "Pride..." and before "A Prisoner...".
Hmmm... Unless a recent update corrected that and I haven't noticed, it doesn't do so for me. Fortunately, I caught it early on. Even if calibre is sorting correctly, I'm too lazy to go back and change back all the books already entered. Making the change as I enter a book is no big deal. Going back and undoing all those changes? Not by this lazy, old broad!

Post edit: I added a book to test something else and, since the title started with "The," I left it in just for excrement and merriment. It did sort properly. I may be a lazy, old broad but I'm also anal so I went ahead and changed all the titles starting with "The" back to the way it should be. Didn't take as long as I thought.

Cool! we're whittling away at my silly little list.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #216
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I just want to say that while documentation can always be made better I have been impressed since I first started using Calibre 1.5 years ago with extent of detailed documentation of this project.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #217
cysag
cysag began at the beginning.

Device: none
alternative to calibre

anyone know another tool easier to use ?
cysag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #218
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysag View Post
Don't you think it's a wee bit tacky to be asking that here? This forum would be more appropriate for your question.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #219
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cysag View Post
Well, tell us what problem you have using Calibre, so we can know what does it mean "easier". Is it supposed to have less functionality?
Also tell us, what do you need to do.
There are programs that are better in ONE aspect. If you want a tool that will have comparable functionality in all fields, I do not think we can help you. Calibre is a combination of LOTS of different tools. Cataloguing books, pulling metadata from net, converting books, communicating with all book reading devices out there, pulling news from net, serving books on net, manipulating metadata using VERY powerful tools, viewing books ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #220
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Don't you think it's a wee bit tacky to be asking that here? This forum would be more appropriate for your question.
Tacky?
Crass, Yup

It's Free
It comes with a huge Help desk staff

And they are still not satisfied
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #221
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tacky?
Crass, Yup

It's Free
It comes with a huge Help desk staff

And they are still not satisfied
Well, I was trying to be nice. I had a few other words in mind but Mama told me not to use them.