Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #16
Scott479
male homo sapien
Scott479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
If I were you I'd test to find out if you have a bad book first. Otherwise, you'll end up with the same problem with the next device after all the trouble of exchanging.
How to I check for bad books?
I am having the same problem with the new device. Battery drains away even when not in the sleep cover and sleeping.
Scott479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott479 View Post
How to I check for bad books?

I am having the same problem with the new device. Battery drains away even when not in the sleep cover and sleeping.

Remove all books (factory reset), and start with one free kepub from Kobo. Then add your books in small batches until you run into the problem. Then remove the last batch and add those books one by one (or in smaller batches).

Or just convert _all_ your books (ePub -> ePub) with Calibre. That should fix (a) bad book(s). You don't find out which book(s) were the culprit though.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
Scott479
male homo sapien

Hmmm. That's sounds like a lot of work. I'm not sure any books I loaded on it are epubs. They are all pdf. I'm also pretty sure all of them were on my last Kobo and it ran with no problems.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. Any PDFs with very large file size? Maybe remove the largest ones or all the PDFs over a certain size.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #20
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
They are all pdf.
If you are reading in Koreader, then the battery can be quickly discharged because of it.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
Scott479
male homo sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
If you are reading in Koreader, then the battery can be quickly discharged because of it.
I don't know what Koreader is.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
Scott479
male homo sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Interesting. Any PDFs with very large file size? Maybe remove the largest ones or all the PDFs over a certain size.
I had 6 over 10 MB, although like I said, all of these books worked on my Kobo Glo. Anyways, I have done a factory reset. I've just added one pdf book that I'm currently reading (plus the ones that the Reader added when synced to Kobo). I've also put it back in the Sleep Cover because that didn't seem t be the problem. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I had 6 over 10 MB, although like I said, all of these books worked on my Kobo Glo. Anyways, I have done a factory reset. I've just added one pdf book that I'm currently reading (plus the ones that the Reader added when synced to Kobo). I've also put it back in the Sleep Cover because that didn't seem t be the problem. We'll see what happens.

Any improvements over night?

Also, this might be of interest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
So now I have disabled the automatic shut down a week ago or so, and most of the time it is fine (I loose less than 1-2 % a night), but it happened to me twice that I would loose much more, as for example 40% in a night. My theory is that my Kobo had a pdf file open those nights.

Can you confirm my doubts that the suspend mode with a pdf file open makes much more consumption, as if the device did not really enter a suspend mode excepted from the back-lighting which would turn off?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #24
Scott479
male homo sapien

I just opened a pdf book and put it to sleep. Battery was at full. We'll see. I hope that is not the problem, because that is stupid.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Yep definitely stupid. But also probably fixable (after bug reporting to Kobo).
Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Scott479
male homo sapien

Kobo out of power today. I didn't check it yesterday, and it wasn't used. So it could be that a pdf left open drains the battery. I'll contact Kobo support again. Will try exiting the book before I put Clara to sleep.
This is frustrating.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader. Installation on Kobo Devices.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #28
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Kobo out of power today. I didn't check it yesterday, and it wasn't used. So it could be that a pdf left open drains the battery. I'll contact Kobo support again. Will try exiting the book before I put Clara to sleep.
This is frustrating.

Yikes! I'm curious to hear if battery life is better if you close your PDFs! I can imagine this I'd rather frustration. However, if you really only or mostly read PDFs, it's probably a good idea to read them in KOReader as Ken suggests (even if the battery issue is solved!)

My battery life is still fine after leaving the one PDF I have open in sleep mode, so if the issue is PDF-in-memory related, it doesn't occur with _all_ PDFs.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #29
Scott479
male homo sapien

I am unfamiliar with KOReader. Why would someone want to install it on their eReader?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #30
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
I am unfamiliar with KOReader. Why would someone want to install it on their eReader?
For PDF's it's a massive improvement over the built in reader, for example it supports reflow while Kobo's native one doesn't. On the con side of things, as far as I know you need Kobo Start Menu and I'm not a fan of that. Would be great if you could integrate koreader with Nickel.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, sleep cover