Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Released beta 2.99.2 with a fix for some EPUB files not working in the browser viewer when the content server is running on windows.

Also fix the error when running some console utilities reported by chaley.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Terisa the beta changes the default font on windows from MS Shell DLg 2 to Segoe UI to comply with Microsoft's recommendations. If you prefer the old font you can always change it back via Preferences->Look & Feel.

I'm not sure what you mean about series -- there are absolutely no changes there.
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #48
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Terisa the beta changes the default font on windows from MS Shell DLg 2 to Segoe UI to comply with Microsoft's recommendations. If you prefer the old font you can always change it back via Preferences->Look & Feel.

I'm not sure what you mean about series -- there are absolutely no changes there.
Perhaps no... but this is the first time I've run the content server. You can see it in the attached picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	156633
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@sweetpea: That is because calirbe portable is 32bit and presumably your system calibre is 64bit. Idont really see anything there that could make a difference.

@Terisa, oh, I see you mean in the content server not the book details panel. I'll take a look at that. It looks like a bug in the translation. Will be fixed in the next beta release.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-10-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #50
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Terisa, oh, I see you mean in the content server not the book details panel. I'll take a look at that. It looks like a bug in the translation. Will be fixed in the next beta release.
Yes, sorry, I explain myself as a closed book And thank you for the info about the font type. It was only curiosity from my side, it doesn't bother me.
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #51
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@DaltonST I told you a long time ago to not use calibredb.exe to make changes to the calibre database and that doing so would break eventually (not to mention that it can lead to data corruption to have calibredb and the GUI potentially making changes to the library simultaneously).

You chose not to listen -- not much I can do about that.

As for deprecating plugins, I dont see much point. If you dont plan on fixing your plugins to use the proper database API instead of calibredb, then I suggest simply removing them from the plugin index after calibre 3 is released. Or if you want to leave them around, that's fine too. You can add some code to the plugins to popup a helpful error message if they detect they are running in calibre 3.

There are a few plugins that even today have not been ported to Qt 5 and so fail to run. Your plugins will simply become a part of that set.

Kovid,

[1] Adding custom columns to a CLOSED metadata.db cannot possibly cause corruption, because it is NOT the current GUI database.

[2] Adding custom columns to an OPEN metadata.db via a foreground GUI Plug-in that is clicked by the user to initiate the additions is exactly what Calibre does now in Preferences > Add your own columns. The GUI plug-ins in question force a restart to finish the process. The user's full attention is necessarily on the plug-in dialog during the entire process.

[3] Adding new books to a CLOSED metadata.db cannot possibly cause corruption.

[4] Deleting books from a CLOSED metadata.db cannot possibly cause corruption.

[5] Updating the authors of a CLOSED metadata.db cannot possibly cause corruption.

[6] Adding NEW books to an OPEN metadata.db cannot possibly cause corruption if the GUI Plug-in was manually instructed by the user to do so just then via a pushbutton, and has to remain open while calibredb.exe is spawned repetitively. The user's full attention is necessarily on the plug-in dialog during the entire process.

In short, your logic of your justification is spurious in my opinion, because it ignores the real world and does not consider the option of additional runtime parameters and internal checks for calibredb.exe to tell it what it is doing is safe or not. However, you fully own Calibre, so I will inform the users of your decision.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #52
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I'm afraid that there's a problem with Kobo Utilities plugins. After 3 minutes it hasn't been able to get the reading positions, and it takes less than 4 seconds with calibre 2.84
Old 05-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #53
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Using Mint Linux 17.3 Rosa
Installed calibre-2.99.1-x86_64.txz

I ran ./calibre in the unpacked directory and it seemed to hang so I killed it and ran ./calibre-debug -g

Seems to be working so far.

I ran a server, went to Firefox and connected to localhost:8080
Got Calibre UI
searched for books
author:"Name Of Author"
changed view to detailed list
pressed "more books" twice
got following error message:
Quote:
Server returned an invalid response
Traceback (most recent call last):

ρσ_anonfunc@http://localhost:8080/:4819:21
complete_callback@http://localhost:8080/:4790:17
got_more_books@http://localhost:8080/:18753:21
render_ids@http://localhost:8080/:18666:21
append_item@http://localhost:8080/:17307:13
I could not reproduce the error with Calibre started with ./calibre-debug -g

In Firefox I clicked on a book and selected to read it and now I am looking at the busy spinner with text:
Loading OPS/xhtml/titlepage.xhtml from Name Of The Book, please wait...

I tried different book in Firefox - an epub. The book loaded and now I am looking at empty screen.

Tried the same book as above in Google Chrome and the book displays OK.
Tried in Opera, I get "Loading, please wait"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yay, the server beta is finally released! Now I can stop promising people that "it's supposed to be coming soon, your long-awaited bookmarks/annotations paradise is nigh".

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
At home I've got a script I use to add books and populate custom columns with initial values. It uses calibredb a lot - so I'll try that when I get back.
It would probably be a lot more efficient to write it in python using `calibre-debug` to run it. You can use the database API.

Example snippet to initialize your library so you can modify it via the "cache" object:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/calibre-debug

def init_cache(library_path=None):
    if library_path:
        from calibre.utils.filename import import expanduser
        library_path = expanduser(library_path)
    else:
        from calibre.utils.config import prefs
        library_path = prefs['library_path']
    from calibre.db.backend import DB
    from calibre.db.cache import Cache
    backend = DB(library_path)
    cache = Cache(backend)
    cache.init()
    return cache

cache = init_cache()
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #55
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
. . . I wonder if it has to do with existing environment variable settings . . .
Removing existing calibre related Environment Variable settings had no effect on on non functioning Windows Portable.

I'm going to try it in Wundows Safe Mode.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Running the beta from source works on Win10 Pro. It took forever to start up the first time, around a minute with a processor pegged at 100%. Second time was fine. There was no delay when running the binary.

The calibre companion changes made way-back-when to support changing libraries in the content server are still working.
Quote:
@chaley: That's because when running from source the first time it has to compile the server code (from rapydscript to javascript)
Except for those of us who have the nodejs version of rapydscript-ng installed, in which case it happens a lot faster.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #57
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Three plug-ins, CALM, ZMI and Library Codes now fail because they create mass quantities of new custom columns via calibredb.exe when initiated by the user Qt pushbutton action in the calibre.exe GUI.

ZMI also fails even if it already has its set of 26 custom columns because ZMI also uses calibredb.exe to Add Books.

CALM also uses calibredb.exe to add/move/delete/change books automatically among the Calibre library ecosystem.
You have been told multiple times that the correct way to add/move/change/delete books from a calibre plugin, is to use the database API rather than shelling out to calibredb.exe

Your failure to write good code is not an actual problem to be reported in this thread.

Quote:
Separately, and just as bad, using calibredb.exe to Add Books fails for ZMI too. That is the whole purpose of ZMI...to add Zotero documents to Calibre.
That isn't bad for calibre. calibre's purpose doesn't require your plugin, or else it wouldn't be a plugin, it would be a core feature...

There is no reason for Kovid to back out and ax an extensive new feature that adds things many many people have requested for years, simply because YOUR plugins break in the process.

Quote:
Your changes to calibredb.exe for Calibre 3 add no value to the many users of the above 3 plug-ins.
They add plenty of value. It simply happens that they also break your plugins.

Quote:
You need to enable a new parameter for _init_.py files for plug-ins: maximum_calibre_version = (2, 98, 9) so the plug-ins that are deprecated by Calibre3 do not even load and cause confusing and non-fixable errors for the user.
That would imply that plugin authors would be willing to update their plugins to add incompatibility notices, but wouldn't be willing to actually fix their broken code.

calibre will not cater to this.

As for modifying a different database than the one currently displaying in the GUI, check out how calibre itself performs the "Copy to library" action without shelling out to calibredb.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #58
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kovid,
I had problems with restricted access of named users. I restrict first for access only one library (for one user) and wasn't able to get access (need two times login). Then I change the account to all and the libraries was shown with additional path information and was able to acess all libraries. After this I choose all except the specified library and get an error:
"Failed to communicate with "interface-data/init?1494450802809", with status: [403] Forbidden
The user DivingDuck is not allowed to access any libraries on this server"

Require username/password = on

calibre V 2.99.2 + 2.99.1 + 2.99.0
Windows 10 64bit (1607)
FireFox V 53.0.2 64bit

Edit:

Aside this, maybe it is possible to have some when in the future a floating listing of available libraries?
An other point I recognize is that sometimes the first set of book covers will only shwn w/o covers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calserv01.PNG
Views:	220
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	156637   Click image for larger version

Name:	calserv02.PNG
Views:	232
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	156638   Click image for larger version

Name:	calserv03.PNG
Views:	215
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	156639   Click image for larger version

Name:	calserv04.PNG
Views:	193
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	156640  

Last edited by Divingduck; 05-10-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #59
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm going to try it in Wundows Safe Mode.
Portable also wedges in Safe Mode. And from a separate User Account. And on my Alien Alpha = which is Windows 10 1607 Home Edition, without my normal gadgets and shell extensions.

Regarding Portable I'm out of ideas.

I'll install 32bit and run it with a fresh configuration folder.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

BetterRed, the portable launcher essentially just sets a bunch of environment variables before calling calibre.exe -- have you tried running calibre.exe after setting those environment variables by hand?