Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Finding Naked Text in HML

Is there a way of easily finding naked text (i.e. text not enclosed in tags) in Sigil?

F7 Well Formed HTML does not appear to flag them up.

Sometimes when I get rid of a load of "divs" I end up with some naked text.

I am currently switching to Calibre Editor which can easily find them and put basic "<p>" tags around each occurrence.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Is there a way of easily finding naked text (i.e. text not enclosed in tags) in Sigil?

F7 Well Formed HTML does not appear to flag them up.
AFAIR, either Flightcrew or ePubcheck will detect that error though the error message will refer to the next line -- in the sample below the error will show on the third line not the second line.

Code:
<p> </p>
this is an unenclosed line!
<p>This is an enclosed line!</p>
<p> </p>
I have both installed and assign plugins 1 and 2.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
EPUB2
Flightcrew: "Error schema not satisfied : no character data is allowed by content model near column 1"

EpubCheck: Col: 1: ERROR(RSC-005): Error while parsing file 'text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")'.

EPUB3
Flightcrew: doesn't work
EpubCheck: doesn't care

I'm assuming since Epubcheck doesn't seem to flag it, that naked text allowable in EPUB3/HTML5.

I'm going to take the opportunity to remind everyone that Sigil's Well-Formed Check is not to be considered any kind of specification validation. As its name implies, it merely checks to see that html is, in fact, parseable. Parseable meaning that tags are all closed and none are improperly nested. Nothing more. It will not catch html/css/xml/epub specification warnings/errors. That is what the validation plugins are for. The Well Formed Check is a quick and dirty "can-I-do-some-automated-processing-on-this-code-without-worrying-about-doing-any-further-syntactical-damage" kind of thing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
By the way, it sounds like a plugin to find and wrap naked text might be in order, for anyone who might be looking for a project to work on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EPUB2
Flightcrew: I'm going to take the opportunity to remind everyone that Sigil's Well-Formed Check is not to be considered any kind of specification validation. As its name implies, it merely checks to see that html is, in fact, parseable. Parseable meaning that tags are all closed and none are improperly nested. Nothing more. It will not catch html/css/xml/epub specification warnings/errors. That is what the validation plugins are for. The Well Formed Check is a quick and dirty "can-I-do-some-automated-processing-on-this-code-without-worrying-about-doing-any-further-syntactical-damage" kind of thing.
AH! I did not understand or had forgotten this. I installed the plugin a looong time ago. Thanks for the information, it makes some things clear now.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
AFAIR, either Flightcrew or ePubcheck will detect that error though the error message will refer to the next line -- in the sample below the error will show on the third line not the second line.

Code:
<p>*</p>
this is an unenclosed line!
<p>This is an enclosed line!</p>
<p>*</p>
I have both installed and assign plugins 1 and 2.
For the information. I will give them both a try.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:38 AM   #7
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
You can put something in the CSS to make everything else disappear, e.g.

e.g. add color:white; or font-size:0; to your p tag.

Now all p tags will be invisible, leaving you with the untagged text (as well as h1, etc. tags and others, you can white them out too if you have a lot). So quickly scan through the book to find them.

Last edited by AlanHK; 08-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 AM   #8
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
You can put something in the CSS to make everything else disappear, e.g.

e.g. add color:white; or font-size:0; to your p tag.

Now all p tags will be invisible, leaving you with the untagged text (as well as h1, etc. tags and others, you can white them out too if you have a lot). So quickly scan through the book to find them.
Clever. That is another option.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Improved version:
paste this:
p,div,h1,h2,h3,h4,blockquote,li {font-size:0;}
at bottom of CSS file, will override any of your definitions.
Size 0 means you see the whole file on one screen.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote