Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
The site which gave me the best recommendations would be amazon, just register and supply it with a list of books you've read. (might be some work, but you will get good results)

Another site I use a lot is fantasticfiction.co.uk which lists everything an author created. Very useful if you want to read more from someone.

I also read "looking for more of this genre"-threads in this forum.

After those I just wander around the internet, scrolling trough top x lists, blogs, catalogs etc.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Amazon also has "communities." I've gotten a lot of good recommendations from them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200280960
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(

Hi all,
I just started reading the "Bedlam Bards" by Mercedes Lackey, and found I'm missing part three "Summoned to Tourney".
Up to now I was unable to find it anywhere except one miserably scanned PDF. Does anybody know where to get one?

troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Hi all,
I just started reading the "Bedlam Bards" by Mercedes Lackey, and found I'm missing part three "Summoned to Tourney".
Up to now I was unable to find it anywhere except one miserably scanned PDF. Does anybody know where to get one?
Summoned to Tourney is Book 2, and was released in a combo called Bedlam's Bard. However, it looks like neither the original nor the combo has a legit ebook version. Baen has her other books in the series, and related other series. No idea why that one's missing; maybe a gap in the rights contracts.

And I couldn't find any non-legit ebook versions either. Wow.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
chrisarippel
Chris Rippel, Kansas
chrisarippel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Droid X Nook and Kindle, PC Nook and Kindle
Inkmesh eBook search engine

http://inkmesh.com/ is an eBook search engine.

This search engine searches over 30 eBook sites.

You can search for free or free and buy eBooks.

You can restrict search by Amazon rating, by device, and price.

You can also browse subjects.
chrisarippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
amy.
amy. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
LibraryThing.com has a groups section for different types of books. Plus I have found some interesting recommendations by scanning some of the entries in the 11 in 11 Category Challenge (which are people trying to read 11 books in 11 different categories, each reader sets their own categories).
amy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #22
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like Diapdealer, I spend a lot of time researching books to find ones I will like. I read primarily UF/supernatural, but also mystery and SF.
I usually find a name recommended on line and check out reviews for that author- and if possible get the book from the library. I buy only what I can't find at library-nevertheless I have almost 100 books on my to-read shelf that I bought or swapped for. Since you are SF oriented, rather than fantasy, I would suggest some of the following to check out, Even those that are fantasy are not the verbose flowery kind; many are quite action packed, which I really like, the first section is mostly fantasy:
Recent really good books/authors:
Downum- Drowning City
Connolly- Child of Fire
Tregillis,- Bitter Seeds
Richard Kadrey- Sandman Slim
Warren Ellis- Crooked Little Vein
Hal Bodner- Bite Club (gay vamps in W Hollywood)
Dru Pagiasotti, ClockWork Heart
Clay&Susan Mitchell- The Greyfriar

Amanda Downum
Kelly Meding
Mathew Sturges

Poppy Z Brite
Jim Butcher (wizard Harry Dresden series) V W
Harry Connolly
Mick Farren V
Alternate reality or alternate history

Steven Brust
Richard Kadrey (Sandman Slim)
Simon Green
Christopher Moore (fabulous) V
Kim Newman (with vamps) V
Kat Richardson
Maria Snyder

Science Fiction

Ann Aguirre (Space opera)
Kage Baker (cyborgs and time travel)
Elizabeth Bear
William C Dietz (Legion of the Damned series) military SF
Sean McMullen Souls in the Great Machine etc
Kristine Kathryn Rusch The Disappeared etc
Linnea Sinclair

Alternate History

Jacqueline Carey (explicit sex)
Naomi Novik (intelligent dragons used as fighter planes)
Terry Pratchett (the Discworld series)
Liz Williams
Connie Willis (time travel)
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #23
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Baen books has already been mentioned and I found it a really fine source for free books. I might add that the prices for those books they sell are very competitive.
Now, I don't know if you would be interested in Public Domain material, but if you are, Manybooks,net has some interesting material from (mainly) older writers and Feedbooks offers a wide selection which is worth browsing.
Another site is http://www.epubbooks.com/. If you have Calibre it's easy to convert any of these books to a Kindle format and the conversion retains the illustrations--if there are any.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #24
andrul
andrul began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital
Have you checked out the gutenberg project, or Wowio.com? Wowio has a very wide variety of subjects and gutenberg has the classics for free. I also recommend the Baen free library mentioned previously. I highly support any publisher and authors who are willing to bet that their books are good enough that you'll want to buy them after reading them.
andrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarippel View Post
http://inkmesh.com/ is an eBook search engine.

This search engine searches over 30 eBook sites.

You can search for free or free and buy eBooks.

You can restrict search by Amazon rating, by device, and price.

You can also browse subjects.
It doesn't work well. It seems to have been abandoned and left to rot. It misses way way too many sites that it claims to search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #26
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrul View Post
Have you checked out the gutenberg project, or Wowio.com? Wowio has a very wide variety of subjects and gutenberg has the classics for free. I also recommend the Baen free library mentioned previously. I highly support any publisher and authors who are willing to bet that their books are good enough that you'll want to buy them after reading them.
I would agree with Andrul's recommendation of Project Gutenberg. If you click on the bookshelf option from the Gutenberg main page you can access all sorts of classics in science fiction, including nearly everything written by H Beam Piper. It's a gold mine!

I would also thank Andrul for the link to Wowio. It looks like another interesting site.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wowio interesting? It's PDF with advertising at best and at worst, it's dreck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #28
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Not quite what you asked, but http://www.literature-map.com can be a fun and interesting site for finding new authors to try. Enter the name of an author you like and see where it takes you.

Last edited by mediax; 04-17-2011 at 06:17 PM.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote