Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Some files.html & toc.xhtml (also Cover.xhtml)

I create via Tools->Table of Contents->Insert inline Table of Contents such one. It came as .xhtml-file. My other files are all .html, apart from Cover.xhtml (I don't know why this one is also .xhtml).

Click image for larger version

Name:	toc.xhtml.png
Views:	321
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	154817
toc.xhtml

What is this all about?

Edit:
And why it came with such a CSS, which doesn't function in ereaders, at least not in my one!?

Code:
<head>
  <title>Inhaltsverzeichnis</title>
  <style type="text/css">
  li {
    list-style-type: none;
    padding-left: 2em;
    margin-left: 0;
  }
  a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }
  a:hover {
    color: red;
  }
  </style>
</head>

Last edited by chaot; 02-06-2017 at 04:50 PM.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It doesn't actually matter which file extension is used. Just pick one and rename so they are all the same. They don't have to be the same, it just looks better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Are you sure?.png
Views:	522
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	154819
Are you sure?

Check Book is after the change to toc.html unchanged. For what kind of changes is the message meant?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There is no problem with changing .xhtml to .html, or vice versa.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The file extension is unimportant. What actually matters is the mime type declared in the OPF. It should be application/xhtml+xml for XHTML files.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
And why it came with such a CSS, which doesn't function in ereaders, at least not in my one!?

Code:
<head>
  <title>Inhaltsverzeichnis</title>
  <style type="text/css">
  li {
    list-style-type: none;
    padding-left: 2em;
    margin-left: 0;
  }
  a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }
  a:hover {
    color: red;
  }
  </style>
</head>
Well, not all CSS elements are supported in the ePUB2 specifications. That being said, alternative colors for anchors have been known to be supported badly in the various readers.
Now, the hover selector might work on a tablet or PC, but not on a standalone reader for sure.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

The message say:
Quote:
You are changing the file type of toc.xhtml to toc.html. Doing so can cause problems, are you sure?
That means: The OS/calibre has recognized what's going on. Yes!? And you all say, there is no problem about changing file extensions, OK. Then the message is redundant and should be removed for such file extension changes.

I specify my question from #3: For what kind of changes is the message box created at all?

@jhowell - that's alright, as you see:
Code:
<manifest>
    <item href="toc.html" id="id8" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/> 
... and at end ...
    <reference type="toc" title="Inhaltsverzeichnis" href="toc.html#calibre_generated_inline_toc"/>
Inhaltsverzeichnis is German (means content list): From where/why calibre knows, it's a German book?

Not from here:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="de">
I changed all files from lang="de" to lang="en" and 'refresh' the toc.xhtml, but still it's named Inhaltsverzeichnis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Now, the hover selector might work on a tablet or PC, but not on a standalone reader for sure.
Yes, that was, what I meant: HOVER doesn't function in ereaders.
So, it shouldn't come as integrated CSS here!

Last edited by chaot; 02-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
EPUB3 recommends .xhtml extensions. EpubCheck will actually issue a warning for files that are .htm, or .html (in an epub3). Better safe than sorry, in my opinion (even though warnings are not errors). I make them all .xhtml (regardless of the epub version).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

All .xhtml to be safe for future: Piece of good advice!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Attachment 154819
Are you sure?

Check Book is after the change to toc.html unchanged. For what kind of changes is the message meant?
That calibre book editor message is not file type specific, if you inadvertently rename myimage.jpg to justanotherimage.jng you'll get a similar message -- and in that case it probably will matter. Which is a good reason not to blithely uncheck "Show this message again:"

FWIW Sigil doesn't issue similar warnings.

I don't know if any of the epub validators would object to the presence of a .jng file, or if any ereader devices would know what to do with one.

I do same as DD - make all the text files .xhtml.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
@jhowell - that's alright, as you see:
Code:
<manifest>
    <item href="toc.html" id="id8" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/> 
... and at end ...
    <reference type="toc" title="Inhaltsverzeichnis" href="toc.html#calibre_generated_inline_toc"/>
Inhaltsverzeichnis is German (means content list): From where/why calibre knows, it's a German book?

Not from here:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="de">
I changed all files from lang="de" to lang="en" and 'refresh' the toc.xhtml, but still it's named Inhaltsverzeichnis.
If you use the German Calibre user interface and/or create a new German language book in Calibre Editor, Calibre will use the German translation of Table of Contents = Inhaltsverzeichnis whenever you generate an inline (HTML) TOC. It'll also add a opf guide item with an Inhaltsverzeichnis title attribute.

Make sure to select Englisch from the Sprache (Language) dropdown list box in the Neues Buch erstellen (Create new book) dialog box when you create a new English epub.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #12
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I do same as DD - make all the text files .xhtml.
You still learn something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you use the German Calibre user interface
I use English interface!

Quote:
... and/or create a new German language book in Calibre Editor, Calibre will use the German translation of Table of Contents = Inhaltsverzeichnis whenever you generate an inline (HTML) TOC. It'll also add a opf guide item with an Inhaltsverzeichnis title attribute.
The book is German. But how detect calibre that it is a German book?

Quote:
Make sure to select Englisch from the Sprache (Language) dropdown list box in the Neues Buch erstellen (Create new book) dialog box when you create a new English epub.
It isn't a new created book.

Last edited by chaot; 02-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
The book is German. But how detect calibre that it is a German book?
It either uses an advanced heuristics algorithm or it simply checks the value of the following metadata entry in the .opf file:

Code:
<dc:language>de</dc:language>
If you're really curious about it, you might want to ask this question in the Calibre Editor forum.

BTW, if it's a German book, why do you want to change the value of the TOC guide item title attribute?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@Doitsu: Quit simple! Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees.

In Edit Metadata there is a dropdown box Language: German (in my case).
E.g. I test with French: then inline TOC comes as Table des Matières

Tested with Yoruba (a westafrican language): Table of Contents. Kovid made a mistake here. Correct is: Tabili ti awọn akoonu ti (Google translate).

Quote:
BTW, if it's a German book, why do you want to change the value of the TOC guide item title attribute?
I didn't want to change anything (here) - only to understand better!

Anyway, I know now: there is no mystery! all!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Tested with Yoruba (a westafrican language): Table of Contents. Kovid made a mistake here. Correct is: Tabili ti awọn akoonu ti (Google translate).
I'd be more inclined to believe Kovid than Google.

My Google English to Yoruba translator yields "Atọka akoonu" for "Table of Contents", as does a Nigerian Yoruba dictionary site.

I think Google translates differently if your Google language is set to other than the source language - perhaps by translating source to user's google language and then to target language. I've experienced this when translating FX Italian to Swedish when my Google language is set to English, if I set my google language to Italian I sometimes get a different result - which is almost invariably 'better' according to my Swedish interlocutor

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote