Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #76
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To solve this, Calibre version 0.9.8 has an updated KoboTouch driver that can set the series information. There is a new option in the configuration to enable this. If you want to set series information, open the configuration an check "Set Series information".
Where is this configuration? I see Preferences on the main toolbar. Next to Connect/share but I don't see anything labelled configuration.

Aha. I found it after I hooked up the Kobo Touch. Device >> Configure this device for any lurkers.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #77
limejello
limejello began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Kobo Mini: Using your latest update of Calibre. After transfering books to the device and seeing them listed on the device through the software, I eject the kobo mini, but none of the books accessible. The device can not even find the files when performing a search. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On the mini I have the latest firmware update 2.0.0.
limejello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by limejello View Post
Kobo Mini: Using your latest update of Calibre. After transfering books to the device and seeing them listed on the device through the software, I eject the kobo mini, but none of the books accessible. The device can not even find the files when performing a search. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On the mini I have the latest firmware update 2.0.0.
What happened when you disconnect the device? Did it show a "processing" screen with a percentage counting up?

When this happens it usually means there is a problem with one or more of the books you sent to the device. What happens when you disconnect the Kobo devices, is it scans for any new books and processes them. During the processing it adds details about the books to an internal database. This database is used to display the list of all books on the device. When you search for a book, it searches the database.

If there is a problem with processing any of the books, the rest are not processed. The books that did get processed successfully, will be in the database and hence in the library list. If no new books show up after the processing, it means the first book processed was bad. The only fix for this is to remove the bad books, and try again.

The only problem with doing this is knowing the order. I believe the books are processed in file name order. Removing the first will hopefully fix it. But, you may need to remove them all and add them a few at a time.

If you do find a book that will not processed, I would be interested in seeing it. Send me a PM and I'll send an address to send the book.

Also, are you sure about the firmware version? I thought the Mini was released with firmware 2.1.2. The latest generally available is 2.3.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #79
Imagineer57
Imagineer57 began at the beginning.

Question

When I update the metadata for ebooks that I have on my kobo mini, one thing frustrates me The covers that I attach to the ebooks just don't show up in all cases on the mini, though they're displayed in Calibre. Am I doing something wrong?

I have the most up to date versions of the kobo firmware and Calibre.
Imagineer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #80
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Imagineer57,

That is to do with how the Kobo devices handle books. When a book is first put onto the device, it gets processed. The device extracts metadata from the book and puts it into an internal database. This database is read when you are using the device. The library list with the details come from this. If you replace the book later, the device doesn't reprocess it, so the metadata isn't updated.

The cover images are generated when the device needs them. They are the first page of the book. Once the cover has been generated, it is stored for later use. This means if you replace the book with a new version that has a different cover as the first page, the cover the device shows will not change. You can get around this by selecting the "Upload cover" option in the driver configuration. With this selected, the driver replaces any existing cover on the device with the one from the calibre metadata. There is also an "Always upload cover" option that gets the driver to upload the cover even if it doesn't already exist on the device.
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #81
Imagineer57
Imagineer57 began at the beginning.

Thanks David I'll go change the configuration settings now
Imagineer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Updates in calibre 0.9.15

For those who are watching, there were two changes to the driver in calibre 0.9.15.

Performance improvement when setting series information.

I was mishandling the data types for the series index and the series info was being set more often than it should have. This is fixed. The initial sync with calibre should be faster but may only be noticeable if there are a lot of books with series information on the device. Thanks to Joel for noticing it.

Update the book size in the device database when resending a book.

If you replace a book on the device it would sometimes get deleted from the device. I found that this happened when the file size changed. The change updates the database to have the size of the new copy. This is useful if you are editing a ePub and making changes to the text or styles.

If you are editing an ePub and change the structure or the table of contents, you may need to delete the book before sending it again. This is the only way to get the Kobo devices to recognise these types of changes. Without the delete, the ePub might open, but navigation via the TOC will probably be broken.

As always, if someone sees a problem with the driver, please report it. I will do my best to fix it quickly.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #83
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
hello
Kobo Mini, Firmware 3.2.1
Hope I am posting in the right place.
I have a strange occurrence that has happened with the new driver.

I have no covers showing on the front screen at all now. Just a square sleepy face with Sleep Mode displayed.

Prior to today, I have always had a cover displayed although not always the right one.

I had resent all of the books I had on the Mini with calibre 9.14 hoping to get rid of the Kobo series info (relates to another problem I have been having)

Job was finished and I ejected Mini.

Books were not all sent. 453 of 658. The books that were sent retained their reading status and the front page had the same books displayed.

I upgraded to 9.15 and resent them all. All books were sent. Books did not retain their reading status, but I have had this happen before. They do seem to open to the correct page, but all say unread.

I haven't changed any calibre preferences recently.

No big deal about no covers on the sleep screen, but thought I would mention.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #84
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have no covers showing on the front screen at all now. Just a square sleepy face with Sleep Mode displayed.
Double check the Settings | Sleep & Power on the Mini. This sounds like what happens if you do NOT have Show Current book cover selected under ScreenSaver
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #85
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Double check the Settings | Sleep & Power on the Mini. This sounds like what happens if you do NOT have Show Current book cover selected under ScreenSaver
Show current book cover is checked.

Probably just another Kobo personality quirk

I only mentioned it because it happeend for the first time with the new driver

Thanks
Helen
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
hello
Kobo Mini, Firmware 3.2.1
A bit of time travel involved? I have the same problem. My fingers would prefer to type "3.2.1" to "2.3.1".
Quote:
Hope I am posting in the right place.
It is.
Quote:
I have a strange occurrence that has happened with the new driver.

Prior to today, I have always had a cover displayed although not always the right one.
I was hoping Peter was right and the option had changed
Quote:
I had resent all of the books I had on the Mini with calibre 9.14 hoping to get rid of the Kobo series info (relates to another problem I have been having)
Is this to remove the series info so the sorting is based on the title only? If so, it wouldn't have worked unless you removed the series info from the books in the calibre library. With the series info option checked in the driver, it compares the values for the book in the library and the device database. If they are different, it updates the device database to match the library. If the option isn't checked, then the driver doesn't do anything with the series info.

And resending the books wouldn't have had the affect you wanted. The series info update is done as part of the calibre metadata sync during the connect. It also happens when you send a book, book but it works exactly the same as when you connected.
Quote:

Books were not all sent. 453 of 658. The books that were sent retained their reading status and the front page had the same books displayed.
The calibre send job failed and didn't send the books? Or where 208 books missing when you disconnected the device? I am sort of hoping the latter as that was the reason for the change in 0.9.15.
Quote:
I upgraded to 9.15 and resent them all. All books were sent. Books did not retain their reading status, but I have had this happen before. They do seem to open to the correct page, but all say unread.
That shouldn't happen. There is actually code in the driver to do this, but it shouldn't get triggered for a Mini. It should only get triggered for devices with pre 2.0.0 firmware. I have done a quick test and it didn't happen when I resent a small number of books over, but I haven't tried hundreds. I'll have a look and see if something else could cause this.

Quote:
Show current book cover is checked.

Probably just another Kobo personality quirk

I only mentioned it because it happeend for the first time with the new driver
It probably is a Kobo problem. I have seen this a couple of times with 2.3.1 and 2.3.2, but the next time I open a book, the cover fixes itself.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #87
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:

That shouldn't happen. There is actually code in the driver to do this, but it shouldn't get triggered for a Mini. It should only get triggered for devices with pre 2.0.0 firmware. I have done a quick test and it didn't happen when I resent a small number of books over, but I haven't tried hundreds. I'll have a look and see if something else could cause this.
It has happened to me 3 times I think with sending only small amounts of books. About once every 4 times. Usually I make a note of all the Im_reading books first, just in case.

Quote:
Quote:

The calibre send job failed and didn't send the books? Or where 208 books missing when you disconnected the device? I am sort of hoping the latter as that was the reason for the change in 0.9.15.
The job didn't fail. And I did eject the device. Worked fine with 9.15

Quote:
Quote:

Is this to remove the series info so the sorting is based on the title only? If so, it wouldn't have worked unless you removed the series info from the books in the calibre library. With the series info option checked in the driver, it compares the values for the book in the library and the device database. If they are different, it updates the device database to match the library. If the option isn't checked, then the driver doesn't do anything with the series info.

And resending the books wouldn't have had the affect you wanted. The series info update is done as part of the calibre metadata sync during the connect. It also happens when you send a book, book but it works exactly the same as when you connected.
I had unchecked the box and books that were sent new did not have the series info in title.

I have been having very slow opening of the shelf menu. 25-62 seconds. This is mildly annoying if you get a double touch and it opens a shelf, or if you have a hard time deciding what to read next. Opening several shelves, can take a while when you have to start over for each one.

This seemed start to happen with 2.3.1 So I thought I would try and remove the kobo series info. (I use a plugboard for series info in the authors metadata)

With 2.1.5 it didn't take so long and I had more than 700 books on Mini at one time.

I am of the opinion that the problem does not reside with the driver, but I appreciate the time you have spent looking into them. You guys do great work

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 01-20-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It has happened to me 3 times I think with sending only small amounts of books. About once every 4 times. Usually I make a note of all the Im_reading books first, just in case.
Could you try running calibre in debug mode and posting or sending me output. I might be able to see why from that.
Quote:
The job didn't fail. And I did eject the device. Worked fine with 9.15
How did you know how many were resent and how many were not? The calibre job says how many it is sending, but I can't think of a way to see any it didn't unless it failed.
Quote:
I had unchecked the box and books that were sent new did not have the series info in title.

I have been having very slow opening of the shelf menu. 25-62 seconds. This is mildly annoying if you get a double touch and it opens a shelf, or if you have a hard time deciding what to read next. Opening several shelves, can take a while when you have to start over for each one.

This seemed start to happen with 2.3.1 So I thought I would try and remove the kobo series info. (I use a plugboard for series info in the authors metadata)

With 2.1.5 it didn't take so long and I had more than 700 books on Mini at one time.
How many shelves and how many times are books on them? From what I have seen, the time to open the shelf list is dependent on the number of shelves and the number of books on them. Opening the list with few shelves with a lot of books on each will be roughly the same as if there are a lot of shelves with only a few books each. Have you been hit by the "multiplying shelves" server bug?

The series info shouldn't have an affect on this.
Quote:
I am of the opinion that the problem does not reside with the driver, but I appreciate the time you have spent looking into them. You guys do great work
Always happy to help.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #89
speakingtohe
Wizard

It gets a little weirder I am afraid.

Yesterday I went to page one of the book I was reading to see if the cover would come back. 2 sleep modes later it did.

Today I sent the book I was reading (in debug mode) several times and it still said Im_reading and it was the only one that said Im_reading in device view. So I sent all of the books that were on a week ago (686). Suddenly all of the Im_reading books were back. The cover was gone and the square face was back as well.

I opened the book I was reading and the correct cover appeared in sleep mode. I switched back and forthe between 3 books and correct cover came up every time. It was like a miracle.

Shelves

I have 26 pges or approximately 130 shelves. Two shelves had a lot of books. I had made a shelf called All which had all (653) books, so I could sort by recently read. Worked occasionally, but often I had to resort 5-6 times for it to do so.

I removed this shelf and the time to open shelf menu went down to about 25 seconds. I removed the next largest shelf (483) based on a genre column, mystery. The time to open a shelf is now about 13 seconds. Seems excessive still, but much better. I have larger collections and a lot more shelves on other readers and they don't seem to have any problem. Oh well.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the shelf thing It was like the proverbial lightbulb.

My Mini seems to be much better now. The only things different were running calibre in debug mode and deleting the largest shelf. (The second largest I deleted after the covers were working.)

Thanks again Helen
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug.txt (432.3 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 01-20-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: moved 3500+ lines of debug code to attached log file
Old 01-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #90
speakingtohe
Wizard

Apologies to all for the long debug posting. I shall try to refrain in future
Helen

Tags
kobo