Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Thumbs down behaviour change drop down menus v3.5 64 bit

i have a single character custom column which I call " read", and in it i set y, n or i ( i for in progress). I have had this column in use for a long time.

I used to be able to change an entry by clicking once on an entry to bring up a down arrow, then following that arrow down to the new value I wanted

but in 3.5, the behaviour has changed: i open up a saved search of all the in progress books i.e. those with an "i" value - I click on an "i" entry to bring up the down select arrow and immediately some sort of search kicks in - the highlighted book changes to the next entry that happens to have an i in the title, and the down arrow vanishes

i can still edit the field by manually bringing up edit metadata.screen .. but that is much slower

I have not changed any preferences , and I would like the old behaviour back if possible .
PS - as an extra check - if I bring up a different set of search serults , where I have some "n" entries in my single character "read" column, then click one of those "n"s, the highlight jumps to 1st book with an n in the title

without going back through re-installs of older versions, I am pretty sure that thai started only whit v3.5
rebooting the PC has not helped any
update i see that i can overtype a value by ignoring the arrow and simply typing the replacement character.
but the arrow fails as described above ( & actually I have more than just y, n, i, i sometimes have q for quit (for books I have abandoned) , g for game guides... )

Last edited by stumped; 08-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Using the arrow keys to change values in enumeration fields (and rating fields) works as it always has on my windows machine. But it may be that you are affected by this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289057 in which case it should be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, i remembered that other thread. myiss ue may be that in another guise.

the only other place I have a down arrow select option is when moving author to author sort or similar actions on the metadata screen, but the behaviour there is unchanged.
maybe someone else will test & comment, I can certainly work-around my issue until an explanation appears.
i can do screen shots n stuff if my explanation is not clear
so in the picture, a book called the deputy is highlighed its " read" status is "y"
if I click the right of the "y" a down arrow appears.
[ cannot screenshot that state as i have to move the cursor to launch snip, and I lose it ]
but when I hover on that it expands momentarily into a list of values, then it vanishes and the highlight skips to the Fallout strategy guide - as that has a "y" in the title
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	158224  
Old 08-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard

i spotted another quirk which usggests the bug may have been aroudn for longer without me noticing it.
the doewn arrow -> skip to a firrent book with caontans the relevant letter only happens if such a book exists on the screen slection. so If i want to eid the "i" to an "y" on a book near the end of the list, and there is no book below it with an i in the title , then there is no skip. the drop down list stays open and allows me to select "y"
usually I have a short list of in- progress books so maybe I've just not been meeting the trigger condition in the past
but it is not sensible that the behaviour of a text selector on one row should be influenced by what may or may not be present in a different column on other, lower down rows ?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Using the arrow keys to change values in enumeration fields (and rating fields) works as it always has on my windows machine. But it may be that you are affected by this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289057 in which case it should be fixed in the next release.
i don't actually use arrow keys - it is all done with the mouse - a click next to the value displays a down arrow, a click on the down arrow expands the list, moving the mouse down the list selects a new value..
after yet more testing, the " skip" is even more confusing> i thought it was seeking out a matching letter in other title fields but actually it skips over some possible matches and typically lands on something 7 or 8 rows deeper.

in this picture, an attempted edit on 1st row skips to democracy in chains, 2nd row skips to dark money, 3rd row skips to gate of heaven - so it is jumping 6 rows each time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	158233  
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are using the mouse then it is most likely the issue I linked to earlier, just wait for the next release.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are using the mouse then it is most likely the issue I linked to earlier, just wait for the next release.
seems to be fixed in 3.6 , thanks