Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
Bioman
Bioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Newbie - Help to find Calibre.exe file

Hi I'm a newbie. I have been using Calibre for several years but I have run into a problem. I downloaded Calibre 64 bit recently and deleted the 32 bit Calibre. I noticed that the Desk top icon disappeared, and I could not find the Calibre.exe file.

I have since deleted Calibre 64 bit and downloaded the latest 64 bit version 3.4.0. Now there is a desktop icon but it cannot find the exe file. I have done a search on the computer and it is not there. What is going on? How can I start up Calibre now?
Bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You've posted in the Introduce Yourself Forum, a place where new members take the time to.....introduce themselves to other members; hence, the name of the forum: Introduce Yourself.

Your question concerns calibre, so your post has been moved to....the calibre Forum.

Please take the time now to look around our site in order to become familiar with Mobileread.

For your convenience, a link to our Posting Guidelines is located at the bottom of every screen.

If you wish to actually introduce yourself (a courteous action), then you may create a NEW thread in the.....Introduce Yourself Forum.

Don
(Moderator)

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Right click on the Calibre Icon, select "Properties (probably at the bottom)...navigate to the Shortcut Tab and under "Target" it wil tell you where the .exe file is.
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioman View Post
Hi I'm a newbie. I have been using Calibre for several years but I have run into a problem. I downloaded Calibre 64 bit recently and deleted the 32 bit Calibre. I noticed that the Desk top icon disappeared, and I could not find the Calibre.exe file.

I have since deleted Calibre 64 bit and downloaded the latest 64 bit version 3.4.0. Now there is a desktop icon but it cannot find the exe file. I have done a search on the computer and it is not there. What is going on? How can I start up Calibre now?
This is actually a Windows 101 question. The target program/folder/file/whatever for a shortcut (.LNK file) is in the Target field of the shortcut file's Properties Shortcut tab.

So, right click calibre's desktop shortcut icon and look in Properties->Shortcut (tab)->Target

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
On a Windows x86 computer with the 32 bit version of Calibre or a Windows x64 computer with the 64 bit version of Calibre on a Windows x64 computer will be installed at:

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe"

On a Windows x64 computer, the 32 bit version of Calibre will be installed at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe"

If copying and pasting the appropriate one of the above into the Run box (Windows key-R) does not run Calibre, you have a more serious issue.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2017 at 05:20 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Bioman

Angry How to install Calibre.exe file

Hi David,
I have a 64-bit Laptop.

Calibre.exe is not present in C:\Program Files\Calibre2. This folder contains a subfolder called app (containing subfolders DLLs, qt_plugins, resources and a file pylib.zip)

There is no Calibre folder in C:\Program Files (x86).

I have tried uninstalling Calibre and downloading and installing Calibre V 3.4.0.msi. I had to edit the registry to allow me to install it as an administrator. No exe file was generated.

Any advice appreciated.
PS: The Icon has also disappeared from my desktop - again. This occurred when I began to have problems. The Icon appeared when I re-installed V3.4.0 but has now gone again.

Last edited by Bioman; 07-26-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A thought --

Check your antivirus logs and see if your AV is 'protecting' you

I have Norton and after every update it insists on deleting a particular .exe file and I have to restore it and tell Norton that it's trusted.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Calibre.exe is not present in C:\Program Files\Calibre2. This folder contains a subfolder called app (containing subfolders DLLs, qt_plugins, resources and a file pylib.zip)
If all you see is the app folder and no .exe files then something is removing them.

There should be 20 .exe files, starting with calibre.exe and ending with web2disk.exe, plus a LICENSE file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post

A thought --

Check your antivirus logs and see if your AV is 'protecting' you
A good one too

The best AV is air and the second best is common sense

BR
Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #9
Bioman

Red face Solved!!

Hi All,
Thanks for your suggestions but it seems the answer was simple (although not obvious).
I installed Calibre 32 Bit and Hey Presto! Calibre,exe has appeared. So 64Bit does not operate in isolation. I was not aware of that, and when I attempted to "upgrade" to 64Bit and uninstalled the 32 bit version I removed the exe file. Perhaps this should be noted in the support documentation.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm afraid there is another problem, as I've only installed the 64 bits version in my laptop. And I've never have installed the 32 bit version here.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:01 AM   #11
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
I've never installed the 32 bit version either and have had no trouble
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm afraid there is another problem. . .

I have both the 64bit and the 32bit editions installed. The 'out of the box' shortcuts reference the 64 bit edition, and I 'maintain' the shortcuts for the 32 bit edition. The 32bit install is always at least one release behind the 64bit.

BR
Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks for your suggestions but it seems the answer was simple (although not obvious).
I installed Calibre 32 Bit and Hey Presto! Calibre,exe has appeared. So 64Bit does not operate in isolation. I was not aware of that, and when I attempted to "upgrade" to 64Bit and uninstalled the 32 bit version I removed the exe file. Perhaps this should be noted in the support documentation.
with the 32 bit version installed along with the 64 bit version, there are 2 complete calibre installs. Each has its own program path. the exe does NOT share.
The only tings common are the Configuration and configured Libraries.
Uninstalling the 64 bit version, then reinstalling, should have fixed the shortcuts. The existing configuration files and libraries ARE NOT updated. They are only created IF MISSING.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #14
Bioman

Red face Interesting... No Calibre.exe in the 32Bit install

That's interesting. So I had to install Calbre 32Bit and then install 64Bit so that I could get the Calibre.exe file which resides in the C:\Program Files(X86)\Calibre2 folder with the 20 exe files. There is no Calibre.exe file in C:\Program Files\Calibre2. Should this be the case?

Whatever...It's working.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's interesting. So I had to install Calbre 32Bit and then install 64Bit so that I could get the Calibre.exe file which resides in the C:\Program Files(X86)\Calibre2 folder with the 20 exe files. There is no Calibre.exe file in C:\Program Files\Calibre2. Should this be the case?

Whatever...It's working.
That should not be the case. I see the executable files in both directories. The two installs share a common data directory so plugins, etc. are shared but the executable files are in separate directories. To me, it looks as if for some reason, your installation does not write to the 64 bit directory -- possibly a permissions issue? Since there is nothing usable in the directory, try deleting C:\Program Files\Calibre2 and then re-installing the 64 bit version to see if the directory is recreated with the correct files installed.

What version of Windows 64 bit are you running? Hit windows-R. type winver into the Open: box and then run it. For the Windows 10 install I've typing from, I see Version 1703 (OS Build 16257.1000) or Windows 10 Preview build 16257. A normal Windows 10 install should show something like Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483). Windows 7 should show something like Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre.exe, start-up calibre