Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Recipe works from 1 machine, not from another

I have a simple recipe to pull newsfeeds from the Houston Chronicle - simply 6 of the URLs for the rss newsfeeds. I've been using it for months from my laptop, works like a charm. Recently I decided to put Calibre on my home desktop, and the same recipe is unable to pull in the stories from the feeds. An ebook is created, but is each section is empty.

I am able to use the laptop through my home ISP without problems. Also, I can use the desktop to download "canned" recipes that come with Calibre without problems. It is my 'custom' Houston Chronicle recipe that fails - I even "shared" the recipe from my laptop to my desktop (loading the Python script) to ensure it was exactly the same and still no go.

The laptop OS is XP Pro and the home desktop is XP Home. Both are running Calibre 0.6b10 at this point, but I also tried 0.5 on the desktop without success.

Any ideas what is happening?
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
click the hourglass and double click the job name to see a log that should explain what's happening.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Okay, here is what the log shows:

<begin log>

Fetch news from Houston Chronicle
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running Parsing all content...
Parsing feed_1/index.html ...
Parsing feed_4/index.html ...
Parsing feed_5/index.html ...
Parsing feed_3/index.html ...
Parsing index.html ...
Parsing feed_0/index.html ...
Parsing feed_2/index.html ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Creating MOBI Output...
Generating in-line TOC...
Applying case-transforming CSS...
Parsing manglecase.css ...
Parsing tocstyle.css ...
Ignoring case mismatches for CSS selector: .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block in contents.xhtml
Ignoring case mismatches for CSS selector: .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block in contents.xhtml
Rasterizing SVG images...
Ignoring case mismatches for CSS selector: .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block in contents.xhtml
Ignoring case mismatches for CSS selector: .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block .calibre_toc_block in contents.xhtml
Converting XHTML to Mobipocket markup...
111111 True
Serializing markup content...
Compressing markup content...
Generating CTOC ...
Indexing navPoints ...
Generating primary index...
Serializing images...
MOBI output written to c:\docume~1\hp_adm~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b1 0_wfgrn7_recipe_out.mobi

<end log>

When I compare the log to that off of my laptop, where the same recipe works fine, all of the 'Fetching / Downloading' links to the news stories are missing in the log of the failed effort. No surprise there, but I don't see any clues as to why in that case it is not fetching and downloading the feeds. Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird. Try running it from the commandline as follows

ebook-convert "Houston Chronicle.recipe" . -vvvv

and post the output
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
BarryTX
Connoisseur

Will do this evening when I'm back at the desktop. Thanks for your help & guidance.
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
BarryTX
Connoisseur

How to completely remove Calibre?

Okay, I am still unable to get it to run a custom script from the home desktop. I was unsuccessful in trying to run it from the command line. I decided to remove Calibre and start over.

I had major difficulty getting the uninstall to complete - it would stall out withe the 'updating registry' window staring at me. Ultimately I deleted the Calibre directory, restarted the computer, and then installed Calibre 0.5.14 over the beta 0.6.12. That installed fine (but still wouldn't run the custom script). I then uninstalled and this time it uninstalled fine. Restarted the computer again, then reloaded Calibre 0.5.14. No dice, still won't run the custom script.

I did see that my original preferences are still there after deleting, uninstalling, and then re-installing. Is this correct? I wanted to completely start over but I can't seem to get there.

I would give up but this is the machine that I need to use to send my Kindle these newsfeeds via email when I travel.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

search your computer for the file global.py and delete the directory in which it is found. This is the calibre settings directory (uninstalling does not remove settings)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
BarryTX
Connoisseur

I now believe this is not a Calibre issue, but I can't figure it out either. The behavior is bizarre and confusing:

I finally tried to connect to one of the feed index URLs from Internet Explorer on my home desktop and the page hangs and never finishes loading. However, from my laptop and through my same home network connection I can get to the index page and feeds with no problem. The other strange behavior from the desktop is that Calibre can pull feeds through at least some of the built-in recipes - for example, Business Week works - but some others also fail.

Does anyone have any idea what would stop IE or Calibre (or presumably any other news aggregator) from accessing certain rss feeds from a particular machine?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTX View Post
Does anyone have any idea what would stop IE or Calibre (or presumably any other news aggregator) from accessing certain rss feeds from a particular machine?
You probably have some agressive antivirus/antispyware/firewall on that machine.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
BarryTX
Connoisseur

hmmm.... I do have Norton AV running, but I've never seen this kind of behavior before. I'll go in tonight and see if I can somehow add the site to a list of friendly or approved sites. I appreciate this thought, it does make sense given the behavior.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
BarryTX
Connoisseur

Okay, I went into Norton and the firewall to make sure Calibre is seen as friendly and allow access to the desired feeds web page. No luck. Then I did more searching and found a reference to IE7 not showing rss feeds (which, again, was happening to me also) and it gave the following fix:

step 1: from the command line, run msfeedsdisable
step 2: from the command line, run msfeedsenable

I tried that and it indeed has allowed my IE7 to see the feed links and open them. At that point I thought the whole thing is fixed, but unfortunately Calibre still failed to get any of the news feeds. I've played with a couple of news aggregator programs and they are successful. Unless someone can think of another reason Calibre is specifically unable to pull the feeds, I'm afraid I've run as far as I can with this.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's not just calibre that must be seen as friendly, you shold set all command line executables too (feeds2disk.exe, feeds2epub.exe, web2disk.exe etc.) To confirm that just shutdown Norton completely and try than. If it works you know the culprit.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to allow the programs calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe through the firewall