Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Free e-pub reader apps ( Kobo excepted) display ads. I want reading to continue to be an ad-free experience.
the publisher hopes that after a while the apps will annoy you enough to upgrade to the paid ad-free version, or cripples the free version but removing some features.

you can kick back to some extent by disabling wi-fi, installing ad-blockers.

and/or petition amazon app-store to quit blocking sale of other paid-for readers for Kindle Fire tablets.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Am I the only person around who thinks it's a bit crazy that CC has no reader integrated in it?
I don't know if you are the only one, but you are probably one of the only ones on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Until it does I'll stay with moon pro... I want simpler and better, not more and conflicting...
I'm not sure what you mean by better, because they are two completely different apps with two completely different purposes. One is a library cataloging program and one is a book reading program. Once allows you to easily transfer your library of books to your device, and one allows you to read them once you get there.

If you don't care about the "library" aspect and only keep a few books at a time on your device, then Moon+Reader is a great book reader with a minimal library function.

If you have a large library of books that you want to keep nicely organized, the Calibre Companion will do that better then any program I have ever used. Frankly, at this point it works better than Calibre for navigating your library (although Calibre is much better for editing your library).

I would hate to see them merged into one program because each would suffer in its chosen area of functionality in order to add the functionality that the other one already has.

In any case, I am not sure why you think its "easier". Once you tell CC to open Moon+Reader to read the books, the whole thing becomes pretty transparent.

And I am really not sure what you mean by "conflicting". Which functionality of which program do you feel is getting in the way?

Last edited by kaufman; 05-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
just because it's free ...
Moderator Notice
The thread you are posting to is a year old. There was an Old Thread Warning below your reply window that you either didn't see or chose to ignore. As a general rule necroposting should be avoided.

Quote:
Old Thread Warning
Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I don't know if you are the only one, but you are probably one of the only ones on this forum.
Unfortunately you have been suckered into wasting your time responding to a year old thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #19
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Unfortunately you have been suckered into wasting your time responding to a year old thread.
Ooops, sorry.

Still, its never a waste of time talking about how great CC is.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Still, its never a waste of time talking about how great CC is.
True.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you don't care about the "library" aspect and only keep a few books at a time on your device, then Moon+Reader is a great book reader with a minimal library function.

If you have a large library of books that you want to keep nicely organized, the Calibre Companion will do that better then any program I have ever used.
@kaufman - Sucker or not - I thought the above was insightful & succinct.

I'm not a cc user, I never have more than 5-6 'books' on my golazy note.

Thanks BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-09-2014 at 03:40 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote