Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Skilgannon
Skilgannon will become famous soon enoughSkilgannon will become famous soon enoughSkilgannon will become famous soon enoughSkilgannon will become famous soon enoughSkilgannon will become famous soon enoughSkilgannon will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Rumoured Retina Display on iPad 3

Do you think the retina like display on the iPad 3 rumoured to be announced in the next couple of weeks will sway more people to use it as an e-reader?
Skilgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
It will for me. I use mine mostly for comics and PDFs and use my Nook Color or Classic for text. The retina iPad will have a much higher resolution and tighter ppi than the Nook Color and that will get me doing most of my reading on the iPad. My Nook will probably end up being used as my reader I take to work and use during breaks and lunch.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Retina screen at that size is going to look fantastic esp. for reading, but I don't think that will be the sole reason people will buy the iPad. Personally I'm very interested in seeing the screen
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The iPad will sell like hot cakes whether it has retina display, or display at all for that matter. This will be the year of the high res screens, with Asus having confirmed a 1920x1200 transformer and sent out some teasers about "twice the pixels twice the fun" for MWC next week. Others are likely to follow, especially Samsung who seem intent on flooding the market with each conceivable size and resolution and then some.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wonder if our old apps will run on an ipad sized retina screen. It might be a bit like those iphone apps that run on ipad, but in an iphone sized window.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I wonder if our old apps will run on an ipad sized retina screen. It might be a bit like those iphone apps that run on ipad, but in an iphone sized window.
The new screen will have exactly double the horizontal and vertical pixels. Which will allow it to scale up existing apps edge to edge with simple pixel doubling. Just like older iPhone apps on the iP4.

Last edited by Dylrob; 02-27-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
There was an article a short while back over at iMore.com that stated some iPad apps will not work properly with the new resolution.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There was an article a short while back over at iMore.com that stated some iPad apps will not work properly with the new resolution.
I thought thatt may be the case. I guess it will be up to developers to update as required. Wonder how the newer apps will scale for iPad 1 and 2. Or if we will ultimately be forced to upgrade...

I'm asking because right now the iPad2 prices are looking pretty good, so I am a little torn.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
iPad 2 prices will look even better after March 7th I believe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I doubt it'll sway a lot of new people to use it as a reader. I used it as a reader before I got my nook simple touch. It was okay. To me it isn't an issue of pixel pitch, it is an issue of there being a backlight and not reflected light. Its just fine, but no where near as nice as my nook simple touch or a paper book for reading, but it was fine in a pinch and fine to reduce my paper library from about 300 books down to around 20 books (before I got my nook touch even).

The extra pixels would be nice for PDFs though, which I still use my ipad 2 for, as wel as apps, games etc.

It would be nice to see decent upscaling on the iPad 3 supposing the screen rumors are true.

I also really hope that not only is at least a much better dual core processor with even better graphics processing unit or nicer quad core with better GPU included in the deal (gotta be one or the other), but also that the base model moves from 16 to 32GB of memory. Especially with all that resolution, HD movies make sense finally. As it is now, I notice only the tiniest difference between upscaled SD and downscalled 720p content. I suspect with 2048 pixels however I'd notice a pretty big difference, even with such a small screen.

Condering most of my 720p H.264 stuff is between 70-150% bigger than the same 480p movies and shows...the extra memory would be nice.

Just doesn't seem like a decent reason any half way spec'd tablet shouldn't start with 32GB of memory considering NAND flash prices now. I mean, seriously, its less than $1 per GB. At most it probably would cost Apple between $6-10 per unit in the bulk they'd be buying it at.

Also, it'd be nice for faster 802.11 wireless performance. The wireless stack right now is a friggen joke. The iPad 2 is worse than the iPad 1, with the iPad 2 weighing in at a maximum of only about 25Mbps and the iPad 1 not a lot faster. It would be nice to at least hit full 20Mhz 802.11n speeds (75Mbps BTW), or at least what the converts to when you take quality of service losses in, distance to router, etc. IE at least 50Mbps on an ideal connection in the real world.

Lastly, faster storage subsystem speeds and more RAM. 1GB would be nice, especially with the larger textures that the display is going to be pushing. Most tablets and phones seem to push only 20-25MB/sec for the memory subsystem. I don't need 300+MB/sec of a decent real SSD, but come on, toggle NAND can do a lot better, and that is the stuff that is only running around $1 a GB right now (or maybe a little more) price to manufacturer. With 8 channels on an SATA 6Gbps SSD and peak read speeds of 550MB/sec on some of them and 300+MB/sec write speeds and 8 channels works out to about 65-70MB/sec read and 35-40MB/sec write speeds for a single Flash chip for decent flash and a good controller with a single channel. You'd think that would mean there is room for some improvement even if all of the tablet's flash storage is contained on a single chip, so only a single channel for the memory controller.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd thought about the IPAD2 and I'd use it a good deal of time for video on its display. BUT I've been trying it at Best Buy lately and if one comes across dark material on a video, I didn't like what I witnessed.

I thought I've read in my travels about blacks levels on the iPAD2 and to be aware.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
My black levels are just fine.

Looking at most tests, like anandtech.com tests of the ipad2 and various other tablets the ipad 2 has some of the lower black levels among all tablets.

Was the display brightness turned down on the model in bestbuy? That is the only time I have black level issues is if I have the display brightness turn down below about 10-20%. Anything above that and darker scenes look fine, (they aren't too dark). With display brightness maxed out, then the black levels increase...as do all tablet displays, but even then they look just fine to me.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

I used to watch vids on my iPad1 all the time, no issues with dark.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Rumour confirmed...new iPad will have retina Display and resolution of 2048*1536
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
From one of the bloggers who covered the launch:

Here's what you need to now about the new iPad. Just the facts:

-2048 x 1536 (3.1 million pixels) Retina display.

-A5X processor, quad-core graphics

-5 MP camera on the back, similar to iPhone 4S. Plus HD (1080p) video capture

-Voice dictation

-4G LTE capability meaning very fast download speeds (73 mbps on LTE). It can also be used as a wireless hotspot.

-10 hour battery life, 9 hours on 4G.

-9.4mm thin, weighing 1.4lbs.

It will run on Rogers, Telus and Bell in Canada, At&T and Verizon in the U.S.

Price Range: $499 for 16 GB, 32 GB is $599 and 64 GB sells for $699 – the same as the iPad 2. There is no 128 GB option.

Availability Date: March 16th in the U.S. and Canada, and pre-orders start today
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote