Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #121
altea
altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab :

Thank you!

So it seems that I have spoiled my new Kindle Touch by upgrading it to 5.3.2.

Well, for the moment I would like to keep the 5.3.2. firmware and since there is anyhow no TTS files yet, in which I am primarely interested in, there is no point for me to jailbreak it now.

I really do hope and would REALLY appreciate if you could make jailbreaking files directly for 5.3.2. , and TTS files also for 5.3.2. upgrade of Kindle Touch. This would be great !

I know that this is a lot of work, but I am sure that there will be many people really appreciating that !!

OK, I will stay tuned...

Thanks once more.
altea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #122
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

[QUOTE=altea;2386144]@ixtab :

Thank you!

So it seems that I have spoiled my new Kindle Touch by upgrading it to 5.3.2.
[QUOTE]

follow the debrick guide to flash it back to 5.1.2. Install the jailbreak, then the 5.3.2 firmware. That's the easiest way we know currently.
But anyway, making a "jailbroken" image and flash it under diagnosis mode should be feasible, yet I'm not sure about the intellectual property issues.

Last edited by phoeagon; 01-17-2013 at 11:49 PM.
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #123
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
I've a pressing question - I'm on 5.3.2 at the moment, with the jailbreak still present - but tried to downgrade via the mfgtool method and haven't any device showing up after mfgtool transfers fastboot.

So the other way of downgrading would be to ssh directly into the device via usbnet - but Launcher currently doesnt work.

So two questions.

Is there currently a way to install any form of usbnetwork onto a (still jailbroken) 5.3.2?
Do I have to wait?

Should I set up another Win32 VM and try again?/Are there any sucessfull downgrades using the mfgtool/fastboot way from 5.3.2 documented already?
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #124
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The launcher and usbnetwork are totally unrelated. You can install and use usbnetwork on a jailbroken 5.3.2 without any problem - I've done it.

You can boot into an (SSH-enabled) diags using either "idme -d --bootmode diags" from main, or via mfgtool/imx_usb_loader, or via fastboot, or via ENABLE_DIAGS if you installed the rescue pack (you need to extract and repackage it for the touch first, but that's about it).

You can downgrade using the normal procedure to flash main partition/kernel. I've done it.
Bottom line: you have tons of options, all of which are working pretty much exactly as on 5.1.2.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #125
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I wonder how to turn off usbNetwork on the latest KT firmware update.
okay, to turn it on we might use ";un" in the search field, but how do we turn it off?
reboot the device or turn it off manually from the device explicitly is okay but I'm looking for more user-friendly ways.
thanks for the help.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #126
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Errm... how about this: to turn it off, issue ";un" again.

If that is what you meant by "turn it off manually", I honestly don't understand your problem. It's exactly as user-friendly as the procedure to turn it on is.

What am I missing?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #127
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

yep, I tried that, but the indicator/icon on the device kept showing that it is connected (that "lightning symbol"/arrow) so I thought it re-run again.

Last edited by varnie; 01-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #128
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
yep, I tried that, but the indicator/icon on the device kept showing that it is connected (that "lightning symbol"/arrow) so I thought it re-run again.
You have to unplug and re-plug the cable...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@varnie: There's always been a delay in the battery icon. Enable the verbose mode if you want more detailed feedback.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #130
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The launcher and usbnetwork are totally unrelated. You can install and use usbnetwork on a jailbroken 5.3.2 without any problem - I've done it.

You can boot into an (SSH-enabled) diags using either "idme -d --bootmode diags" from main, or via mfgtool/imx_usb_loader, or via fastboot, or via ENABLE_DIAGS if you installed the rescue pack (you need to extract and repackage it for the touch first, but that's about it).

You can downgrade using the normal procedure to flash main partition/kernel. I've done it.
Bottom line: you have tons of options, all of which are working pretty much exactly as on 5.1.2.
Thank you for thinking this through with me. I also successfully installed usbnetwork on an already jailbroken KT 5.3.2 and from then on the downgrade was plain sailing - using just your debricking tutorials and files.

Btw you have an error in the command line for the "non zipped" 5.1.2 kernel.img you might want to fix that (filename _ instead of - (unzipped) as well as .img missing)

Those were my steps downgrading a KT 5.3.2 (jailbroken before the upgrade) back to 5.1.2.

- copy ixtabs 5.0.0 diags kernel and 5.0.1 image, as well as his 5.1.2 main kernel and 5.1.2 combined main and jb+kjb+ssh image on the KT
- Install latest version of usbnetwork on your KT.
- ;un (in the Kindle search bar, followed by Enter) to activate it. (it just activates - no visual feedback)
- connect to a XP win32 installation. Point the "asking for drivers" dialog to the WindowsXP-NDIS-Driver folder that can be found in ixtabs WinXP Package (download from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=423 )
- change the IP and the Gateway in the tcp/ip protocol under the newly installed networkcard to IP: 192.168.15.200 Gateway: 192.168.15.1
- (ping the Kindle on 192.168.15.244 to see if it responds)
- ssh into the Kindle (using putty (google) f.e) IP: 192.168.15.244 once you are in the device, username: root, pwd: mario

In there I got an error message concerning reboot count - you may savely ignore that one.

From that point on, just work alongside the two tutorials ixtab has written (read BOTH readmes on http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php ).

First dd the 5.0.x files, then reeboot your kindle into the diags menu.
(I had to reboot into diags via idme -d --bootmode diags (then type reboot) at this point, the ENABLE_DIAGS strangely had not the desired effect, after restarting the KT manually.

Once in the diags menu, simply follow the steps in the main readme (Tutorial).

(After sshing into the Kindle via the diags menu, the above mentioned reboot count messages were gone.)

And thank you once again - I think I will stick to 5.1.2 for a while now. I didn't like too much what the new FW had to offer. Ran into problems with custom font sizes (even with resizing the ttf files manualy), dont like the new font of the process indicator, liked the process indicator mod... Also the talked about speed increase is negligible.

Last edited by notimp; 01-19-2013 at 03:49 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #131
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindel Touch
When I upgraded KT to 5.3.2 from 5.1.2 with jealbreak and usbnet installed, I found usbnet still worked. I can connect to KT via usbnet, but I cann't write any file to KT! It seems to become readonly.
szfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #132
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by szfisher View Post
When I upgraded KT to 5.3.2 from 5.1.2 with jealbreak and usbnet installed, I found usbnet still worked. I can connect to KT via usbnet, but I cann't write any file to KT! It seems to become readonly.
Readonly? Something a mntroot rw could not fix? If that won't work, maybe try reinstalling usb network.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #133
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindel Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Readonly? Something a mntroot rw could not fix? If that won't work, maybe try reinstalling usb network.
Sure, I've excuted "mntroot rw", but it did not work. Maybe I will try to reinstall usbnet.
szfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #134
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by szfisher View Post
did you "mntroot rw"?
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #135
Fianor
Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Fianor knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I have a KT (paid to remove SO) running 5.1.2 and a laptop with Windows 7. I am trying to upgrade to 5.3.2 and want to use the fixed margins from JBpatch, collections manager and the newer screensaver hack from NiLuJe. First I want to make sure I'm interpreting what I've read on these forums correctly to mean I can do this. Second I can't figure out how to get 5.3.2 to install.

I jailbroke it with the old MP3 method. I'm pretty sure I did some update from amazon after I had done that JB and had no complaints from the update. Using .bin/update kindle from the menu method I installed kindlet JB, JBpatch, GUI launcher {with image_viewer, KOMIC, ksudoku2, orientation hack, usbnetwork} (as far as I recall all of these were install via .bin, I seem to recall editing a .json at some point, maybe it was just to add the image_viewer since it's technically amazon built in software)

I installed ixtab's kindle collections and was using the old screen saver hack (the one requiring all the images to be named bg_xsmall_ss**.jpg), neither of which I have any idea how I installed and can not currently figure out how to uninstall.

I've downloaded 5.3.2 from amazon and just tried, got 006/026 errors. I uninstalled (via .bin/update) jbpatch, kindlet JB, GUI launcher & combined dev certs, attempting 5.3.2 after each. All failing with 006. I deleted the gui launcher extension folder, then I deregistered and factory reset. Still no go.

I read the suggestion to "simply" reflash a clean 5.1.2, jailbreak, then 5.3.2 update, but for the life of me I can not understand ixtab's directions. Particularly since there are references to the .bin file which has been removed, but the instructions saying to use it have not, so I don't really know what instructions in that readme.txt are valid still and which are not.

As of right now I think I have a deregistered jailbroken KT 5.1.2 with no documents, factory settings. I reinstalled the kindlet JB to see if I had unjailbroken it with the factory reset but the update seemed to be successful so I think I have both JB and kindlet JB installed at the moment.

Any ideas? Are there some updated instructions on reflashing that I've missed? I'd really like 5.3.2. and it seems silly to just redo the hacks and stay on 5.1.2 at this point, I wouldn't bother to ask but I've spent 2 days on this now and seem to have run out of search terms to use to figure it out myself.
Fianor is offline   Reply With Quote