Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
v_ger
v_ger began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
C.S Forester

Is there any place to find legal versions of his books? I've found a site that had some of his works but the site just feels wrong. He died in the '60's so as I understand it his work is still in copyright.

As an aside, what is the best resource to determine if an item is PD or not?
v_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In the US, is an item was published after 1963, it's not public domain.
Between 1923 and 1963 inclusive, you have to check whether the copyright has been renewed.
If published before 1923, it's out of copyright.
See http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/ for details

Elsewhere, just look at when the author died. If before 1939 (most places) or 1959 (Canada and some other places) then the work is out of copyright. Add another year to those dayes on 1st January each year.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ger View Post
Is there any place to find legal versions of his books? I've found a site that had some of his works but the site just feels wrong. He died in the '60's so as I understand it his work is still in copyright.

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Just audiobooks of C.S. Forester and Patrick O'Brian. I've looked extensively before and not found any by either of them. I don't think they're published in any ebook format. Your best bet is to poke the button on amazon to request/vote for a Kindle version. Assuming that actually does anything. I think there are a couple of Alexander Kent and lots of Dudley Pope available. No Patrick O'Brian yet either or Dewey Lambdin or Northcote Parkinson. The Frederick Marryat's are public domain though. And Julian Stockwin's stuff is in ebook.

Last edited by wayspooled; 02-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:

I'm interested to know if there is a better way than checking 6 or 7 places too...
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
For works published in the US between 1923 and 1963, see In Copyright? - Copyright Renewal Database launched.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
v_ger
v_ger began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Thanks

Wallcraft, Thanks. That's what I needed. Simplifies things a lot.
v_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For works published in the US between 1923 and 1963, see In Copyright? - Copyright Renewal Database launched.
I've never seen this before, thanks for the heads up. Should make my life a lot easier.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the "Hornblower" series isn't available as legal eBooks. I'd buy it in an instant if it were!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the "Hornblower" series isn't available as legal eBooks. I'd buy it in an instant if it were!
Ditto!
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
patrickwest
patrickwest doesn't litterpatrickwest doesn't litter

Device: Nook B&W E-ink
Quote:
Is there any place to find legal versions of his books?
Quote:
Borders is now selling the Hornblower Books by C.S. Forester as epubs

http://www.borders.com.au/by/c-s-forester/
patrickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwest View Post
Borders is now selling the Hornblower Books by C.S. Forester as epubs

http://www.borders.com.au/by/c-s-forester/
Very true, but the earlier posts in this thread were made in March 2009, at which time they were not.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
He's probably been out on the Darknet for quite a while of course. And the same can be said for just about any author you can name. Though I imagine a given book is pulled every now and then only to pop up again somewhere else. It would be good to find a legal omnibus of the Hornblower books for Kindle I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Very true, but the earlier posts in this thread were made in March 2009, at which time they were not.
Does that mean you've bought all of them now?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Does that mean you've bought all of them now?
Yes, I have.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It would be good to find a legal omnibus of the Hornblower books for Kindle I think.
They are all available for the Kindle:

"The Young Hornblower", containing the books "Mr Midshipman Hornblower", "Lieutenant Hornblower", "Hornblower and the 'Hotspur'".

"Captain Hornblower, R.N." containing the books "Hornblower and the 'Atropos'", "The Happy Return", "A Ship of the Line"

"Admiral Hornblower", containing the books " Flying Colours", "The Commodore", "Lord Hornblower", "Hornblower in the West Indies"

To complete the series, there's also the standalone novel "Hornblower and the Crisis".

So, four books gets you the lot.