Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
Firmware Update Kindle firmware 5.12.1

Here’s what’s new:
  • Read Now: In the coming weeks, you will be able to read items that you own with a single click from the ‘Before You Go’ dialog.
  • Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.

Seems that at the moment only for Kindle (10th Generation) Software Updates but I believe it should be available soon for the rest.
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post
Seems that at the moment only for Kindle (10th Generation) Software Updates but I believe it should be available soon for the rest.
Nope, just downloaded it for my Voyage.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Say hello to Stinger, most likely the Oasis 3's little name.

Spoiler alert: it runs on the same hardware than the Oasis 2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
That's weird, I just got in my "new" (to me) Paperwhite 2. It was running 5.8.x something and I was going to ask if I should keep it there for possible jail breaking... next thing I know the Paperwhite is updating itself... but to 5.11.2 not 5.12.1. I thought I was safe, figuring the Paperwhite would require a couple steps to move from 5.8.x (I think x equaled 4) to the new firmware.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rcentros: There's no longer a notion of "steps" involved since they moved to full images for update packages (a lot of years ago? ).

The only potential left for issues is if there's a bug in their database migration code in some weird edge cases. Which should be pretty moot for an OOB Kindle, since it's mostly empty, so there's nothing much to update in the content db .

(I'm speaking of "update-induced" issues here. Not random, generic FW bugs).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rcentros: There's no longer a notion of "steps" involved since they moved to full images for update packages (a lot of years ago? ).
I guess because I mostly use old Kindles I'd forgotten about this. I think now I remember reading something about that. (Getting old.)

Quote:
The only potential left for issues is if there's a bug in their database migration code in some weird edge cases. Which should be pretty moot for an OOB Kindle, since it's mostly empty, so there's nothing much to update in the content db .

(I'm speaking of "update-induced" issues here. Not random, generic FW bugs).
Okay, thanks. Since I haven't really used the Paperwhite yet, I think I'll just jump straight up to 5.12.1 now. Then I won't know what changed and won't have a reason to whine about it.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #7
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post
Here’s what’s new:
  • Read Now: In the coming weeks, you will be able to read items that you own with a single click from the ‘Before You Go’ dialog.
  • Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.

Any idea what “Before you go” is?
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
Any idea what “Before you go” is?
It is the popup at the end of the book that wants you to rate it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is the popup at the end of the book that wants you to rate it.
I HATE that feature! Or to clarify, I wish it would let me "turn" the final page to close the book. Feels a bit unsatisfying to not be able to
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If I remember right you can turn off the Before You Go feature in settings. I don't have my Kindle in front of me to check but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If I remember right you can turn off the Before You Go feature in settings. I don't have my Kindle in front of me to check but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

Barry
It seems that is not the case. You can suppress About This Book on first open, but there is no option for turning off Before You Go (apart from avoiding the End location), unless they added one in this new update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Say hello to Stinger, most likely the Oasis 3's little name.

Spoiler alert: it runs on the same hardware than the Oasis 2.
nifty!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I'm having a lot of crashes on my "new" Paperwhite using 5.12.1 firmware. Of course it's a new to me Paperwhite 2, so I don't know if it's firmware or hardware issues that are causing the crashes. Just curious if anyone else is having issues since upgrading to 5.12.1.

EDIT: It appears to be font related. So long as I change to a built-in font before opening a new book everything is fine. If I use one of my custom the program will often (not always) crash. Once I've moved to a new book I can change to my custom fonts without any issues. So the work-around is pretty easy.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-10-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I find "Before you go" very annoying. Especially as my OWN writing outnumbers books bought from Amazon, I also buy books from Smashwords and the bulk of my ebooks are gutenberg or other genuine public domain vintage titles.

Any ideas what bugs fixed or changes from 5.11.2 apart from the daft idea of a list on the Before You Go?

Why would I want to choose books from the "Before you Go" insult screen? How is AMAZON going to decide which titles I already have to list there? Unread Purchases? Items in so called Cloud?
I have Collections and Search as well as what ever ordering on the home screen. If they simply returned me to home screen when I finish a book, likely the next one is one click away. Sounds like evil marketing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also this is another case where you get new Firmware (via Wireless or USB transfer) and LATER Amazon, when wireless is activated or time delay or something, activate a feature. In this case the list of books to read on the "before you go page".
That is an unacceptable way to deliver upgrades. It's a bad user experience. Is it instead of proper in-house testing?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote