Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #106
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Yep, I'm not even the original poster...I just saw her post in another group and thought to ask here so I can grab the book and read it for myself.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #107
imdqmznh
imdqmznh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I am looking for a science fiction book, where seasons last for tens or hundred of years. The whole work is split in several volumes or books. The action starts in the winter. With the coming of summer the inhabitants of the planet are affected by some kind of plague that makes them very fat or very skinny (don't remember exactly). Technology level is close to middle age Earth. High in the sky a communication satellite from another civilization registers the events on the planet below and streams it back home, as some kind of reality show at planetary scale (all unknown to the people below).
imdqmznh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #108
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdqmznh View Post
I am looking for a science fiction book, where seasons last for tens or hundred of years. The whole work is split in several volumes or books. The action starts in the winter. With the coming of summer the inhabitants of the planet are affected by some kind of plague that makes them very fat or very skinny (don't remember exactly). Technology level is close to middle age Earth. High in the sky a communication satellite from another civilization registers the events on the planet below and streams it back home, as some kind of reality show at planetary scale (all unknown to the people below).
Methinks, Helliconia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helliconia
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #109
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I am looking for a Science Fiction Book that came out in..... probably the late 50s. I keep thinking the Author's name was Margaret St. Claire (could be way off base) I believe the author was female.
The story pertains to a world wiped out by plagues/disease. Human's have been driven underground into elaborate caves. The humans that survived the pandemic survived because they had been eating fungii (mushrooms). I can't remember much more I was only ten or so.

Can anyone help me out?
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #110
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I keep thinking the Author's name was Margaret St. Claire
Which alone is enough to find out the title, even if I didn't have a paperback of Sign of the Labrys on my shelves.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #111
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Thanks, I recognize the title. It's only been fifty some years since I read it. Now all I have to do is locate the book.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #112
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Looking for a historical fiction. Author might be Frank Yerby or Frank Slaughter. Takes place in the days of the Barbary pirates. An Englishman is caught, sold into slavery at a rock quarry, befriended by a Bedouin sheik who takes him from the quarry but only for the sheik's life time when he has to go back to the quarry. However he falls in love with the sheik's young wife who resques him from the quarry and goes back to England with him.

I read this back in the 60's.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #113
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Maybe someone can help me with this
Around 2001 or 2002 I read a book. I'm not sure if it was considered sci-fi or fantasy, but it took place in a world were the clergy ruled with a heavy hand. Every night a "scent" would arise from the forest and drive men insane and (according to the priests) to their damnation. It was the duty of women to tie up their men and plug their nostrils each night to protect them from the effects of the odor.
I can't remember the name or the title, but the title may have had the word "beauty" in it.
It was kind of a strange work with some twisted sexuality in it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #114
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
OK, I have read what I think is a LOT of books, and I read through this thread and knew NONE of these. Now I feel dumb and not at all well-read.

However, now I have a longer list of books to look for....some of these sound quite interesting.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #115
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The book I was asking about was Waking Beauty by Paul Witcover. I remembered posting about it it on a SF forum soon after I read it . I made a search on the forum and found a post from 2002 where I mentioned it and another book I had forgotten about, The Gift by Patrick O'Leary.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #116
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I am convinced that sometime in the early 1960's I read a book that included the phrase "Coachman, coachman, whip up the horses! The rear wheel has fallen off and the postilion has been struck by lightning!" I had thought it was Jerome K Jerome's 'Three Men on the Bummel' but the Gutenberg etext I downloaded does not have this phrase at all (neither does it have the dialogue I remember between the narrator and a German shopkeeper regarding the purchase of a collar stud). Can anybody help? This is really bugging me now.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #117
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
I am convinced that sometime in the early 1960's I read a book that included the phrase "Coachman, coachman, whip up the horses! The rear wheel has fallen off and the postilion has been struck by lightning!" I had thought it was Jerome K Jerome's 'Three Men on the Bummel' but the Gutenberg etext I downloaded does not have this phrase at all (neither does it have the dialogue I remember between the narrator and a German shopkeeper regarding the purchase of a collar stud). Can anybody help? This is really bugging me now.
Wikipedia has an article on the possible origin of the "postilion struck by lightning":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_post...k_by_lightning
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #118
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Wikipedia has an article on the possible origin of the "postilion struck by lightning"
Yes, thanks for that. I spent a happy hour or several trawling through that and many other possible sources suggested by google. The consensus was that the phrase originated in early travel guides, albeit the hapless postilion was as often drunk as lightning struck. I do though have a really clear mental image of reading this (unless I'm demonstrating false memory syndrome). Interestingly the Gutenberg text is from a 1914 edition, but the original publication was 1900 - I foresee a trip to my local library and an interlending request coming up.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #119
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
moving to the correct place. Sorry!

Last edited by Brainphart; 07-26-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #120
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
I've recently finished
"Dracula" - Bram Stoker (3 stars)
"Immortal in Death" - J.D. Robb (3 1/2 stars)
"Star Trek Movie Tie-In" - Alan Dean Foster (3 1/2 stars)
"The Lost Fleet: Dauntless" - Jack Campbell (3 1/2 stars)
"The Ninja" - Eric Van Lustbader (4 stars) (R rated)
<ratings based on 5 star scale>

All of these were from recomendations obtained from this forum. (Thanks Everyone!)
If you liked Dracula, you could try "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths