Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Another children's book is what I'm looking for...

(don't ask my why I keep dredging up those ancient titles...)

It's a book, about two or three children, who find a clock with 13 hours on it. The clock has dolphins on it. When the clock strikes 13, something happens. If I recall correctly, they find that clock in an old house (not sure if it's abandoned or not).

I think this book belonged to my father, so it might be from the 50's or 60's.

Anyone?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #77
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's a book, about two or three children, who find a clock with 13 hours on it. The clock has dolphins on it. When the clock strikes 13, something happens. If I recall correctly, they find that clock in an old house (not sure if it's abandoned or not).
Haven't read it, but might it be Tom's Midnight Garden (1958) by Philippa Pearce? I can't find any reference to the clock having dolphins in that one, but otherwise it sounds fairly similar.

Edited to add: Nope, I got a look at it via Google Books and there are no dolphins. Here's another possibility:

http://pictures.abebooks.com/BOOKEDDY/864595516.jpg

It was identified as the answer to a query very similar to yours at Abebooks in 2007.

Last edited by wayrad; 01-30-2009 at 10:28 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Haven't read it, but might it be Tom's Midnight Garden (1958) by Philippa Pearce? I can't find any reference to the clock having dolphins in that one, but otherwise it sounds fairly similar.

Edited to add: Nope, I got a look at it via Google Books and there are no dolphins. Here's another possibility:

http://pictures.abebooks.com/BOOKEDDY/864595516.jpg

It was identified as the answer to a query very similar to yours at Abebooks in 2007.
That might be the book... Thank you!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #79
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
My friend and I are trying to remember the title of a science fiction story in which an animal had evolved a symbiotic relationship with a plant with round seeds, using the seeds as a kind of crude wheel.
Anyone know what it was?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #80
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
My friend and I are trying to remember the title of a science fiction story in which an animal had evolved a symbiotic relationship with a plant with round seeds, using the seeds as a kind of crude wheel.
Anyone know what it was?
RSE's growing some oranges like that...

There was a part of the Lensman series that had a wheeled organism as the only life form on a planet, but I can't remember if the wheels were plant seeds or not.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Dragon's Egg, by Robert Forward?
Yes, undoubtedly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #82
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Anyone know what it was?
Philip Pullmans Dark Materials series comes to mind, book three (The Amber Spyglass) specifically. It had aliens which used the round and nearly indestructible seeds of a tree as a kind of unicycle to whiz along the naturally produced "highways" on the planet.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #83
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Philip Pullmans Dark Materials series comes to mind, book three (The Amber Spyglass) specifically. It had aliens which used the round and nearly indestructible seeds of a tree as a kind of unicycle to whiz along the naturally produced "highways" on the planet.
Yes! That was it! Thank you. For some reason I was thinking that it was a short story which is probably why I couldn't remember.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #84
blupaul
blupaul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Hi trying to remember a SF trilogy I read. Its set in the future and it is about the son of a Noble family who rebels against the family and the current government and helps a rebel force overthrow the infra-structure. He has a twin brother who is disabled and helps the masses ie think slave work force, but he is executed and becomes a matyr for the resistance. Can't remember any of the titles of the series or what it was called but it was published if I remember correctly in the 80's any help with this would be great. Would love to track it down and re-read it.

cheers
blupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #85
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, blupaul.

Hopefully, someone will post soon with an answer.

How do you like your 700?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #86
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sounds like it may be a trilogy called The Phoenix Legacy by M.K. Wren:
The Sword of the Lamb
Shadow of the Swan
House of the Wolf
I haven't read them since the 80s, so I don't remember a lot about them.

Last edited by BenG; 02-25-2009 at 07:29 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #87
blupaul
blupaul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thats the series thanks so much BenG really appreciate it.

Cheers
blupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #88
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm looking for a book I read in the nineties and I think it may have been written in the eighties.

It's a about a small group of people, 5-7?, who meet each other at a stay at a castle in the country in Italy or France. They don't know each other beforehand, but I think they may be invited there and have some kind of common purpose for going.

There's several couples, a single older or middle-aged countess (or something like that) and an older man, who is, I think American or British. He's the one I remember best. He's an atheist and self-awoved cynic, and talks a great deal about this. At some point, during an outing, he talks about being an atheist and a roller-coaster feeling of falling through space it gives to imagine not having some god to hold his hand under one. There's a young woman, too, I think she may be a daughter or niece of one of the other characters.

I think the author may be Italian or perhaps French, but that could be because of the story.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #89
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It's a about a small group of people, 5-7?, who meet each other at a stay at a castle in the country in Italy or France. They don't know each other beforehand, but I think they may be invited there and have some kind of common purpose for going.
Clue?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #90
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
?????????
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths