Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Question 'Are You Sure You Want to Copy This File Without its Properties?"

Suddenly when copying from Win (10) to my Kobo Forma, I'm often getting this irritating msg.

Any suggestions?
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The Kobo doesn't use NTFS. I think it uses FAT32. There's some NTFS-specific properties that'll get lost - tags, some alternate data streams, etc.

Using Calibre to manage books on device would avoid it.

You can also look into whether Kobo can use NTFS, but I doubt it as Kobo is based on Linux.

Also, this belongs in the Kobo forum.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-04-2023 at 10:40 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Linux can use NTFS, though whether that's included in Kobo's version is another story. Likely it internally uses a Linux ext version FS. Many versions (all?) of MacOS won't read NTFS without a 3rd party driver.
Historically you couldn't eject an NTFS external drive on Windows NT4.0 without going to Disk Manager and unmounting it. Also Win3.x, Win9.x and Win ME couldn't read NTFS, even though Linux could at least in 1999.

FAT32 is the only FS all platforms can read/write which is why user partitions on gadgets either use it, or USB MTP, or USB Networking.

FAT32 doesn't have loads of NTFS features such as security, true long file names (it uses a fudge), streams, mounts/joins and more. Calibre Send to Device or Save to Disk takes account of this.

Even if a Kobo does work with NTFS as the user mounted partition it's a bad idea!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The only NTFS driver that I found that worked on a Kobo was one flaky and two mounted the partition as read-only which made it impossible to update the database. So I would say that you can't use NTFS on the user exposed partition though you can play games to use ext4 as the user exposed partition FS.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #5
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

The strange thing is, it's only started recently.
The only unusual thing is that I'm throwing on PDFs downloaded from a magazine site
(whereas before it was ebook PDFs and epubs).

(FWIW I'm not v interested in converting to NTFS, since I know its probably extreme. I expect there might be an easier way to avoid this annoyance?)
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That is a bit odd. The only time I ran into a similar issue was when downloading an ebook file in a .rar archive where the original FS was NTFS and an alternate data stream was included that emulated a MacOS resource fork.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
There's an NTFS data stream, 'zone identifier', that can get ticked if the file originates from the internet. To disable it, try here's some instructions.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-04-2023 at 12:40 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
There's an NTFS data stream, 'zone identifier', that can get ticked if the file originates from the internet. To disable it, try here's some instructions.
Ah, I remember some particular windows update added that extra well-intentioned but annoying download security. Couldn't install from our own local server afterwards but had to copy the installer and change a permission first.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #9
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Thanks.
FWIW:
I think I've encountered that problem before.
I had already set 'Do not preserve zone information in file attachments' to Enabled.