Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersdad View Post
Hi all,
Sorry if I get this wrong, but I have never used any kind of forum before. I have a query about the update to my BeBook. I use a mac and I could get the first file (the update one) into my BeBook ok, but the Mobipocket one is still on my desktop. It says in the instructions to double click on the file and run it then connect the BeBook. Only I think it must be a windows file because my mac can't open it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can load that file onto my BeBook. I do not have access to a PC.
Cheers,
Allen.
You don't need the Mobipocket software at all. As you say, that is a windows app that allows you to read your books on your PC and also transfer ebook files to the device. You only need the firmware update file. Put it on your device and follow the instructions to flash it, I think you hold the VOl+ button or something.

You can transfer ebooks to your device as you have always done, using Finder I assume.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-19-2008 at 05:21 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only reason to need Mobipocket Reader is to find the PID if the new firmware doesn't display the PID someplace.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK,

I can't wait to hear how the page numbering works. Does it have the infamous mobipocket reader page number bug?

BOb
Old 09-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK,

I can't wait to hear how the page numbering works. Does it have the infamous mobipocket reader page number bug?

BOb
I would think the answer is going to be yes. It's inherent to all versions of Mobipocket. And unless Mobipocket has fixed it without telling anyone, then no, it's not fixed (IMHO).
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would think the answer is going to be yes. It's inherent to all versions of Mobipocket. And unless Mobipocket has fixed it without telling anyone, then no, it's not fixed (IMHO).
Agreed. But, they did say they waited to release until it was "perfect"!

BOb
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My guess is that perfect means without bugs that they've added.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #22
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
BOb
What do you mean? I'm not familiar with mobipocket, but installed new update and tried to play with it. Looks that page numbering is Ok, it changes with the change of the font size.

First impressions - in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=30
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
What do you mean? I'm not familiar with mobipocket, but installed new update and tried to play with it. Looks that page numbering is Ok, it changes with the change of the font size.

First impressions - in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=30
Does mobipocket support page numbers? I was under the impression they support progress bar only.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #24
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Does mobipocket support page numbers? I was under the impression they support progress bar only.
Yes, it does. As for now, no progress bar, only something like 25/532 on the status line below.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would you try this experiment, please:

1. Go to the start of the book.
2. Page forward, a page at a time, until you reach some recognisable point in the text (eg the start of a chapter). Make it a few dozen pages from the start, at least.
3. Make a note of the page number.
4. Go back to the start of the book.
5. Using the "Goto page number" facility (if it has one), jump directly to the page number that you wrote down previously.

Do you end up at the same point in the text? On most implementations of the Mobi Reader, you don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #26
torbich
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would you try this experiment, please:

1. Go to the start of the book.
2. Page forward, a page at a time, until you reach some recognisable point in the text (eg the start of a chapter). Make it a few dozen pages from the start, at least.
3. Make a note of the page number.
4. Go back to the start of the book.
5. Using the "Goto page number" facility (if it has one), jump directly to the page number that you wrote down previously.

Do you end up at the same point in the text? On most implementations of the Mobi Reader, you don't.
Tried. Nope, not at the same point.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Standard Mobipocket page numbering bug that affects all versions of Mobipocket Reader.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
Tried. Nope, not at the same point.
Excellent - that indicates that you have the "genuine" Mobi reader, complete with all its standard bugs.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #29
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Excellent - that indicates that you have the "genuine" Mobi reader, complete with all its standard bugs.
Truly, the best way to identify a software is by its bugs .

Now that's Bebook has mobi support just like the Cybook, anyone care to comment on its build quality compared to the Cybook?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How has dictionary lookup been implemented on the BeBook? ie how does the user interface work?