Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Yesterday I could connect, today I can't...

Yesterday I installed the CC app on my Samsung Galaxy tab 8.4 and tried to connect with my Calibre library on PC, which I failed to do.
I have my Calibre library in a Dropbox folder, so I installed Calibre on our Mac, tried to connect, and got a connection immediately.

Today I started up the computer (the mac) again, and couldn't find Calibre anymore??? (Probably my husband inadvertedly removed it? He doesn't remember doing so.) So I downloaded the program again, and tried to connect to my tablet, and today I couldn't.
(I seem to remember that yesterday the app connected on automatic settings, but today it doesn't, and I checked and double-checked and triple-checked, but CC doesn't seem able to connect.
Some suggestions?

(Note: I'm very new to OS X, so maybe something went wrong there...)
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to attach debug-log
Attached Files
File Type: txt debuglog.txt (1.0 KB, 174 views)
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Being able to connect to your Mac but not your PC implies that the firewall or anti-virus on your PC was blocking CC connecting to calibre. So, my first question: which machine do you want to use? We can try to make the PC work if you wish.

As for not being able to connect to the Mac today: could you send me a CC debug log? To do that, start CC, go to Settings, scroll to the bottom and choose "Send a debug log to MultiPie". Please erase the multipie.co.uk email address (my son) while leaving the other one (me). I am working with you so there is no reason to disturb my son.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
AnneT
Groupie

Well, since I have Apprentice Alf's tools working on the PC, I'd prefer to have it working there... (I have Norton security on that PC.)
But since my husband is considering removing the PC from the living room, it would be nice if it works on the Mac too, so I'll send you CC's bug-report.
(If I can connect to one of both machines, I'm already happy...)
Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, things are complicated.

From the debug logs I see that your tablet has the IP address 192.168.1.2, while your Mac has two addresses 192.168.10.230 and 192.168.10.246. The problem here is the third group, 1 for the tablet and 10 for the Mac. These numbers must not be different. In technical terms, the numbers being different mean that the two devices are on different networks and they cannot talk to each other.

My guess is that your wireless router has "guest mode" enabled (somehow) and that either your Mac or your tablet (probably the tablet) is connected as a guest. Without knowing more about your configuration I can't say much more.

What you need to do is determine how your wireless router is configured. If it has some form of "Guest Networking" turned on, then you need to either turn it off or find how to connect both devices to the non-Guest network. That could be as easy as choosing the right SSID (network name) when you connect your tablet to wireless. Be sure to connect to the same one that your Mac sees. If your Mac is cabled then be sure to connect to the SSID that gives you a "10" as that third group.
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thinking a bit more about this, the fact that it worked yesterday strongly implies that you have more than one wireless network available to you. On your device, do you see multiple networks that belong to you? If so, try connecting to a different one. After you connect, you can see your device's IP address in CC's settings / Wireless Device Connection / IP address & port.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
AnneT
Groupie

OK, thank you... Problem solved ;-)
Your answer made me realize my tablet was indeed connected to a different wifi-network. Changed that, and now everything works fine!
(I closed the wifi-connection of the tablet at night, and probably I connected to the 'wrong' network this morning.)
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
OK, thank you... Problem solved ;-)
Your answer made me realize my tablet was indeed connected to a different wifi-network. Changed that, and now everything works fine!
(I closed the wifi-connection of the tablet at night, and probably I connected to the 'wrong' network this morning.)
Excellent.

Good luck with connecting to your PC. The problem could have been the same as today with the Mac, or it could be the firewall. In more rare cases it might be the anti-virus, especially if you are running malwarebytes or eset.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
AnneT
Groupie

'Supported development' by using the paypal-button ;-)
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
'Supported development' by using the paypal-button ;-)