Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Hello from the Central Valley

After lurking around this site for the past couple of months, I finally worked up the courage on Saturday night to buy a Reader. I'm very grateful to this site and its posters for educating me enough to have the confidence to try it.

It's gone remarkably smoothly. Thanks to this site, I knew there were two parts to the software update, even if Sony does not tell you that when you install Connect (and I was amused to have Sony congratulate me for getting that far when I found the site from which to download the Reader software update.) I also knew, thanks to this forum, how to make sure a title and an author's name showed up when preparing an RTF file for the Reader.

The only disappointment so far has been the e-store, tempered a bit because I wasn't expecting a lot. Seeing all the duplications and mis-classifications of books, though, you have to wonder how seriously they're taking that enterprise. Maybe they're treading water waiting for the Amazon Kindle to come along with its, presumably, proprietary system, and blow them out of the water? In any event, I jumped through all the hoops and bought a sci-fi bundle from them to encourage them, if they're looking for encouragement.

The Reader itself has been wonderful. On Sunday I spent about 4 hours straight reading without any discomfort. Unlike some who've posted, not having the text backlit I thought was restful to the eyes.

Anyhow, thanks again to all those who've provided information about the Reader as well as those who've provided links to content.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead and congratulations of getting the Reader. We're glad that you are here.

I have enjoyed mine for many months and the reading experience IMHO just keeps getting better and better.

In addition to RTF, there are other formats that work well on the Reader. the MobileRead Wiki Conversion page offers many choices of tools that can greatly improve the preperation and use of your own materials. From Stingo's MS Word Macro for formatting RTF files to Book Designer for producing LRF files (non-DRM BBeB files) to FeedBooks that produces wonderfully formatted PDF files for the Reader from out of copyright or donated books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert