Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #31
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
I scored 380 wpm and 82% reading comprehension.

Like most people, the speed of my reading really depends on the book and my reasons for reading it. I can fly through most novels in a day, but any academic or scholarly text takes much longer, even if I find the subject super fascinating. For some reason, any book I have to read inevitably takes me twice as long as pleasure reading. (Or at least, it seems that way.)
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #32
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
I'm not taking the test, but I know I average 50 paperback pages an hour in English (not my first language.)
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #33
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
1,254 WPM with 100% accuracy.

Spoiler:
OK, really 396 WPM with 86% accuracy, or something like that. I took it in the other thread.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #34
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Now I'm really depressed 212 wpm, 60% comprehension.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #35
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
According to the test I read at 488 wpm with 91% comprehension. Which quite frankly is bollocks - I can read at that speed with that comprehension rate when I am doing a test, but I hardly ever would read at that speed in real life. On most occasions the purpose of reading is not to get to the end as soon as possible - that makes as much sense as playing a piece of music fast so it doesn't take as long to listen to - rather the purpose is to be guided in constructing a story world by the skill of the author. That takes the time it takes - a good author will actually manipulate the speed at which you read different sections of a book, without such variation we would soon become bored.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
http://www.enter.net/~torve/critics/Renshaw/renshaw.htm

There are some online tachistoscopes, if anybody is interested. Check Google
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #37
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
227wpm/91%

But:

- English is not my native language
- It's past midnight and I'm tired and sleepy
- It's too damn hot! 29ºC at midnight
- I'm reading about 1,5m from my 40" monitor/TV

Tomorrow I'll try to read it fresh and in my 22" monitor. Although I guess I won't do the comprehension test, as I already know the answers.

I have no idea how many books I read per year. I never keep track, but I always considered myself a slow reader. Not only because of my reading pace, but because of my reading habits (I usually read at night before sleeping and at lunch while eating, hardly the best schedule for reading), and many other hobbies that get in the way of this one.

Last edited by Over; 08-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #38
soothsayer
soothsayer began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin, astak the 2010 version plz.
220wpm with 100% comprehension.

anyway, speaking of tests, check this one out from the nytimes....

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ving-game.html
"Gauging Your Distraction
New studies show that drivers overestimate their ability to multitask behind the wheel. This game measures how your reaction time is affected by external distractions. Regardless of your results, experts say, you should not attempt to text when driving."

..........some might think of this game as "how well do you drive while texting?"
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #39
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The test said 666 and 73% comprehension. I suck at remembering numbers. I always forget dates in my history classes for that reason, but not content / events.

But I read fiction or any sort of narratively strong non-fiction much faster than that.

The best test is to note how many pages you read in an hour. This kind of test is always artificial for me and keeps me from "zoning" in on the reading.

I know I tested it tat way in 7th grade reading some fiction and came up with 2 pages/minute. I'm probably a little faster than that now...about 2.5 pages/min. Realistically about 750-800 ppm converted from pages/min. One of the reasons I'd almost like a bigger e-reader...I feel like I'm hitting the button every handful of seconds on it now.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Perhaps you have your monitor brightness turned up too high.
I just checked and it was at 100, the brightest it goes, I reduced it to 80 now.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNewbie123 View Post
I just checked and it was at 100, the brightest it goes, I reduced it to 80 now.
It would be interested to hear if you're happier reading from your computer screen with the lower brightness.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote