Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
A few questions before I buy the new DX

I'm nearly ready to buy the new Kindle DX, but:

I have a lot of academic articles in PDF form, and I was wondering if it is possible to download PDFs over the 3G using the Kindle Browser. I'd like to be able to access my web-server with the PDFs to download a few, should I need a specific article. Is it possible either out-of-the-box or does it require a hack?

Also, is there something special that needs be done to a font before it can go onto the Kindle via the font hack? I'd like to be able to use my favorite book/academic typeface.

Thanks in advance.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by outismetis View Post

I have a lot of academic articles in PDF form, and I was wondering if it is possible to download PDFs over the 3G using the Kindle Browser. I'd like to be able to access my web-server with the PDFs to download a few, should I need a specific article. Is it possible either out-of-the-box or does it require a hack?

Also, is there something special that needs be done to a font before it can go onto the Kindle via the font hack? I'd like to be able to use my favorite book/academic typeface.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know anything about the fonts, but you can't download PDFs to your kindle using the browser. Only .MOBI, .AZW, and a couple other minor formats (like .txt or .jpg or something) can be downloaded to your kindle from the browser.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Nop, pdf's and kindle don't work well together...
They work quite a bit better since the last firmware update.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Quote:
Really? The videos on Youtube and reviews with pictures on the Internet have led me to believe that it handled them just fine. These aren't complex textbooks, just words.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Screen shots of the K2 (2.5.2) doing PDF. Looks pretty decent to me and I'd assume the DX with it's larger screen would do even better...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88498
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, though, the PDF viewer of the Kindle is still somewhat limited. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no annotation, no dictionary lookup.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by outismetis View Post

Thanks in advance.
I've tried downloading PDFs from Google Docs, etc., but that doesn't seem to work, even if the file does not have a PDF extension.

The only official way to get PDFs on there wirelessly is to use the Kindle email address (for which there's a small charge). So maybe you could add something to your web server so that it could mail the PDFs to the Kindle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find that the PDF's on the DX look good and are easy to read.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I've found that too, but it might be not enough for some people.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Nope, indeed they work very good together. You just can not download PDF's directly to your kindle via whispernet+amazon browser. Thats really a flaw
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I find that the PDF's on the DX look good and are easy to read.
They are very good to read. Unfortunately, though, they are very poor to navigate, with no support for either a table of contents or hyperlinks within the document.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I don't download pdf directly to my kindle which is nice.
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Pdf and kindle not made for each other ..
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post
Pdf and kindle not made for each other ..
and your argument is ?
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
my HD-video of the kindle pdf test

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88853

pdfs would look nicely on the dx(my friend has a dx coming in a few days, will do the same)
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, font, kindle