Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
z0rr0
z0rr0 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
iPad dictionaries

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to install own dictionaries to use it with iBooks? What format are the proprietary ones?
Bye
z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rr0 View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to install own dictionaries to use it with iBooks? What format are the proprietary ones?
Bye
any dictionary in epub format that did not have DRM would work fine.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There are a couple of free apps for dictionaries at the app store. The pre-installed one works GREAT with Safari. As you read along, if you run across a word you do not recognize, just tap on it and the little "definition" flag pops up.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
z0rr0

I wonder if it is possible to change pre-installed dictionaries to use my own one to use it just like DixieGal described with iBooks application (that's why I don't additional app)

Are there dictionaries in epub format? I mean, i don't want to open it but to use it during reading (vide Dixiegal example)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
There are a couple of free apps for dictionaries at the app store. The pre-installed one works GREAT with Safari. As you read along, if you run across a word you do not recognize, just tap on it and the little "definition" flag pops up.
Maybe I missed something, but cannot figure out how to make the dictionary work with Safari. Did you make a special bookmark let for it?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I didn't do anything, didn't get a dictionary app or anything. It has one installed already. I just double tap a word and it pops up the options. It works like the autocorrect and paste and other options. It just works by magic, as far as I know, because I didn't do anything special to get it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
I can't use the dictionary in safari either. can anyone teach me how to set it up?
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
z0rr0

Dixiegal, does dictionary work on other app than iBooks and Safari (if it really works on Safari ;-)?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rr0 View Post
Hi,
Bye
See my thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87909
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote