Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Newbie Needs Help with library book

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your help.

I bought myself a Kindle 2 for Christmas, after returning a Cooler e-book reader.

I have had no trouble downloading content from Amazon and this site but when it comes to my public library it is another story.

I downloaded MobiReader desktop 6.0 which recognizes my kindle and generated a pid for me. I was then finally able to download a mobibook from my library and send it to my Kindle 2 but alas my Kindle 2 does not want to open it.

Help, what am I doing wrong?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
ugh! I know this... let me do a little looking and I will get back to you (unless someone beat me to it that is)
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I downloaded mobi reader and connected my kindle to make sure... the reader software will recognize your kindle as an external drive and it does not give you the PID for the Kindle. You can get a PID for the computer but that is about it.
to get the PID for your Kindle you need to search for a python script called kindlepid.py
After that you can enter that PID into your library software to get a book for the kindle. Then you need to use another script called kindlefix.py to add some kindle specific flags into the ebook to make it work on the kindle. You also need to make sure that you are downloading mobi ebooks from your library.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Americanchild
Enthusiast

I downloaded version 6.0 which recognizes the kindle (not 6.2 which no longer recognizes kindle) and gives a pid which I used to register my Kindle with the library.

Ok say I have downloaded a nice legal python script and the phython software. I can open the script with the phython reader but I see lines of code, there is no gui, exactly how would I make this script work?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard

Huh.. I am going to have to look for version 6 then
I will PM you how to use the script in a bit. Where did u find version 6? I am looking and all I can find is 6.2
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
time4mercy
time4mercy doesn't littertime4mercy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
I think you need to run another Python script (called Kindlefix, I believe, I'm not at home) on the book itself in order to make it Kindle-friendly.

daffy4u's posts are very helpful (thanks, daffy4u!!!). S/He gives great assistance via astrology (think stars).

Hope that helps!
time4mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Americanchild
Enthusiast

I'm thinking stars and a large dose of Prozac as I am still working on this little project. I am in my 30 day trial period for the Kindle and am wondering if now is the time to send this back? Is their a better option? I didn't like the Cooler ebook reader, it felt very cheap to me even though the screen did lookgood.

Any thoughts as I try to earn my degree in Python.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay, if you are looking for an ereader to read library books on, I think you are better off with a sony, or other device that will read epub/pdf........and here's why.

The kindle reads only mobipocket books (without stripping the drm and thats a whole 'nother can of worms) and epub is the way most libraries are going. The sony allows you to download ebooks to your computer, then sideload to your reader.

Before you make a choice, however, make sure your local library carries a selection that you want to read.

Check out this site to search your library.

Personally, I love my Kindle, and wouldn't give it up for anything.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4mercy View Post
I think you need to run another Python script (called Kindlefix, I believe, I'm not at home) on the book itself in order to make it Kindle-friendly.

daffy4u's posts are very helpful (thanks, daffy4u!!!). S/He gives great assistance via astrology (think stars).

Hope that helps!

Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Americanchild
Enthusiast

I DID IT, I DID IT. Thank you Daffy!! I could never have done if without you. You are wonderful. And thank each and everyone of you who sent me personal messages and offered you assistance. What a wonderful group of people you are.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard

Awesome