Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Making the Move: First Attempt at Fiction

I'm old-fashioned enough to think in terms of New Year's resolutions, and I've been mulling over what I want to do in 2015.

I have written seven full-length non-fiction works, and - curiously - three of these featured short fictional interludes.

I think I want to try writing some fiction in 2015. I have an idea for a type of crime story (with a twist), and I'd also like to try converting a historical experience I've researched (from 1945) into a story.

Any advice for a not-exactly first time writer?

I am reading Ursula Le Guin's 'Steering the Craft' as a pointer. I have no intention at all of attending any creative writing workshops as I'm pretty sure that these are 95% cynical rip-offs.

I'm also fairly relaxed in my approach. I will try approaching an agent or two, but if this doesn't work I'll just squirt anything I write onto Smashwords.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you're using Scrivener you might find one of these fiction templates of use Click I'd try the 7 point plot structure template on for size.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Good luck! My only advice is to live with your characters and keep at it, both writing and revising to make the story and the characters come through more. also, if you're struggling with a project, it might be the sign that it's the wrong one. (Took me a very long time to learn this.)

I've never done a creative writing workshop, but I did the Open University "Start Writing Fiction" MOOC on Futurelearn, and didn't really find it of value. They are supposed to have a pretty good Creative Writing department, so... I think reading analytically and being aware of what works for you helps more.

I also find a good editing book is better than a creative writing book, as it teaches me what to be aware of in my own writing, not just editing.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Eleanor,
Which editing books have you found useful?
I am finding the 'exercises' in Le Guin's 'Steering the Craft' surprisingly enjoyable and thought-provoking.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not really a group therapy person either, and I'm definitely still learning, so I'm hesitant about offering advice. But, for what it's worth ...

My current big project has been in my head for almost 2 years now, and I'm guessing the writing won't start in earnest for several months yet. Part of this is other commitments, but some is knowing that there are still pieces I need - so I'm reading lots of books, fiction and non-fiction, specifically chosen to feed this idea. This isn't planning as such, I don't really plan my books beyond an idea of where it's headed, it's just that I don't yet have enough to really put me in the story - which is where I have to be before I can write (different writers work in different ways, this is mine). Meanwhile I'm collecting characters and setting elements that I know are in there somewhere.

It was pegasi&prefects's comment about "reading analytically" that inspired me to add my comments here, because I think that's been a major factor in how my writing went from mucking about to actual usable output. That, combined with having a story idea working away in my head, means that almost everything I read or watch, and pretty much everything I do, takes on a new significance in light of the story. Sometimes the thoughts are technical ("ooh, I hope I don't to that to my readers", or "that's a neat way of showing things"), and sometimes it's story related ("but what if it was like this, instead?"). But very often relationship between experiences and the ideas they generate are less obvious, but it seems to work (for me).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Hi Eleanor,
Which editing books have you found useful?
My hands-down favourite, to the point of evangelism, is "Self Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Brown and Dave King. Annoyingly, I don't think it's available as an ebook, at least it wasn't when I got it. I actually keep it on my writing desk for easy reference, and it's taught me far more than any book on actual writing. I also particularly like that it doesn't deal in absolutes: it's more "consider if you do this too often or not enough, here's an exercise to help you figure it out."

There's an excerpt here to see if its style gels with you.

Echoing everything GMW said!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasi&prefects View Post
My hands-down favourite, to the point of evangelism, is "Self Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Brown and Dave King. Annoyingly, I don't think it's available as an ebook, at least it wasn't when I got it. I actually keep it on my writing desk for easy reference, and it's taught me far more than any book on actual writing. I also particularly like that it doesn't deal in absolutes: it's more "consider if you do this too often or not enough, here's an exercise to help you figure it out."

There's an excerpt here to see if its style gels with you.

Echoing everything GMW said!
It is now apparently. At least in Kindle: Amazon US
Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford

I had a moment's hope, but--not for Australia.

Dammit, people, I want to give you my money! Again!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The hardest part is to keep the enthusiasm going until you reach the end. I always start with a short story to see if I like the characters or not, then if that goes okay I'll develop it into something a bit longer. Then once you've got something "finished" get a few other writers to have a look at it and tell you where you've gone wrong.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Two of my favorite writing books are "Beginnings, Middles and Ends" by Nancy Kress and "Character and Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card, both published by Writers' Digest Books.

The first deals with implicit promises made to the reader at a story's outset, and the way those promises affect a reader's perception of the overall story arc. The second explores the narrative power of first-person, third-person, and omniscient points of view, along with tips for leveraging the inherent advantages of each. Both books are well-suited to someone with extensive overall writing skill.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Nabeel
Zealot

Thank you for all the recommendations so far. I am listening and following them up.

One more question: is a good idea to read already published fiction in your area, to get some indication of how to do it? Or, on the contrary, is it better NOT to read it, so you strike out on your own?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Thank you for all the recommendations so far. I am listening and following them up.

One more question: is a good idea to read already published fiction in your area, to get some indication of how to do it? Or, on the contrary, is it better NOT to read it, so you strike out on your own?
If you hope to be a commercial success in a genre then it is important that you are familiar with the mores and expectations of that genre (and to have some idea of what as become clichéd). In which case the advice is fairly clear: read LOTS of it.

If we assume you are already familiar with the genre, then read whatever you think will help with your particular project. Once I get into active writing mode on a project I tend to keep clear of things too similar nature, mainly because I worry that my own tone/style/turn-of-phrase might be influenced by it. Whether that concern is justified I don't really know, it's just what I tend to do (and it's not like it leaves me with any shortage of things to read).

Last edited by gmw; 12-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford

Another, different kind of recommendation. I was always a pantser, but this book I've used Contour (for iPad) to work from brainstorming into a firmer sense of where my plot is going, what my beats are, what my characters' journey is. I was a bit cynical about it, but actually, the writing is going so much more smoothly once I have done the exercise, even though I'm not slavishly following it. I know where I'm going, so i just let it all flow out and concentrate on character and dialogue.

There are so many different systems, but perhaps finding one that works for you and working your way through it will help you stay focussed.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

You might find this book of interest. Basically the author expands on the idea that Lester Dent made popular back in the day.
The FORMULA For Writing Fiction That Publishers Will Like
Smashwords