Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #46
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
I'm interested in comparing a Sony T2 and the new Kindle side by side. Both should use the same EInk basis. But in case of Kindle there are 2 additional transparent layers (touch-layer & light-layer) on the screen which could degrade the contrast when using no backlight.
A.
Are you sure about that? I assumed that the Paperwhite uses infrared touch like Sony (no extra layer) and that the lighting is provided lights around the edge of the screen (like the nook and kobo?). As such, there should be no degradation in quality. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The Kindle Paperwhite has a capacitive touch screen, it's not infrared like we're used to on the Sony. I have problems getting some elevator buttons to work at times with that type of touch, I know I'd have issues with that screen (I'm not even sure special agloves would help me).

From the Engadget review:
Quote:
It has a new, front-lit display that will let you read in the dark, and a capacitive touchscreen that goes away from the IR based systems we've seen in the past.
The light doesn't come from around the edges like other readers either, it has its own layer (taken from CNet):

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-17-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #48
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I must say that I'm surprised at how underwhelming the upgrade from a T1 to a T2 is. My T1 is my dedicated reader for Japanese e-books, I can purchase Japanese books directly from the reader...
Hey, does the T1 display Japanese text? Any T1? Or only those sold in Japan? I still have to use my Cybook Gen3 to read Japanese and Chinese.

I am also surprised to learn on this thread that several users use Calibre to "tag" their books into "collections" on their Sony readers. How do you do that? Do you have to remove all the books from the Sony and move them into Calibre, then tag them and move them back? I have all my books on an SD card.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #49
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Hey, does the T1 display Japanese text? Any T1? Or only those sold in Japan? I still have to use my Cybook Gen3 to read Japanese and Chinese.
Yes the T1 desplays Japanese text flawlessly. I bought mine in Japan because I wanted the dictionary included. Unfortunately that dictionary is less than stellar. An added bonus is that I can purchase books over WiFi directly from Japan into my T1, that is pretty sweet. Half a globe away and I have my reading material in less than a minute.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #50
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
I am also surprised to learn on this thread that several users use Calibre to "tag" their books into "collections" on their Sony readers. How do you do that? Do you have to remove all the books from the Sony and move them into Calibre, then tag them and move them back? I have all my books on an SD card.
You will need to have all your books in calibre, as the master library. Once you have done that you will do all your tagging and metadata changes in calibre. Then, once you have told calibre to automatically manage the metadata, every time you connect the Sony to calibre all metadata will be updated from calibre to the Sony, no need to resend the books. Here's a very detailed post if you want to know more about it. It takes longer to read than to actually do what is necessary.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #51
maritimer
Maritimer
maritimer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300 & T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Hi Blue2u

I just checked on the Walmart website, but the Sony T1 is not there. And I was in one store in my neighborhood (Ottawa) 2 days ago: prices for Q1 is 120$.

Can you tell me where you saw the price you're talking about? I'm (very) interested by the $68!
my local wm had the price at 68 for the T1 but no inventory. So I had my brother that lives 2 hours away to pick one up - there were 3 in the store he went to and that was early last week.
we are located in Nova Scotia.
maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #52
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Are you sure about that? I assumed that the Paperwhite uses infrared touch like Sony (no extra layer) and that the lighting is provided lights around the edge of the screen (like the nook and kobo?). As such, there should be no degradation in quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite has a capacitive touch screen, it's not infrared like we're used to on the Sony.
The Kindle Touch used infrared, the capacitive touch is a new feature for the Kindle Paperwhite, and it should make the touch screen more responsive and versatile. It's been described as like a invisible coat of paint over the screen, so it shouldn't have any impact, but only time will tell if it has any effect on the screen quality.

Quote:
The light doesn't come from around the edges like other readers either, it has its own layer.
I think this is incorrect, as both the Nook Glowlight and Kobo Glo have a layer to help guide the light over the screen too. There is certainly an extra layer on the Nook and minimal damage is causing hotspots to appear on the screen. Both the Kobo & Kindle have done something different so as not to suffer that same problem (a Kobo rep specifically stated this over in the Kobo forum, though not mentioning the Nook by name). What is different about the Kindle is that the lights are at the bottom edge of the screen only (I'm not sure about the Kobo Glo), and this is supposedly an improvement.

It's going to be interesting to see how the new e-readers perform, and while Sony have definitely missed the boat and fallen behind, I guess from a Sony point of view, they'll look at the positives and they'll have plenty of feedback and time to come up with their own solution for the next version of their reader.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #53
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@ maritimer

Thank you for this information,

Now I just have to find the money to go to Nova Scotia!

I'm kidding!

It is very curious to see how the prices can vary from region to region across Canada. By the way, I'm sure there is no more T1 now, even in your province (FutureShop shows sold out). Too bad!

Have a nice evening.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #54
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd say yes, Sony is slipping. If they don't announce something equivalent or better in the next month I'm likely to order a Paperwhite. Like many others here I've resisted Amazon's readers over the years as I felt Sony's build quality (or maybe just feel) was better and I never needed a hardware keyboard in my readers.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #55
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'd say yes, Sony is slipping. If they don't announce something equivalent or better in the next month I'm likely to order a Paperwhite. Like many others here I've resisted Amazon's readers over the years as I felt Sony's build quality (or maybe just feel) was better and I never needed a hardware keyboard in my readers.

They just launched the T2. Although, with SONY's typical flare for marketing, they didn't quite 'announced it'. They more like, tried 'slipping it by', almost hoping noone would notice.

More seriously... if you are holding because you hope something new is going to come up over the next month(s), then you might as well let go. No way they will release anything new so soon after the T2.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #56
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You will need to have all your books in calibre, as the master library. Once you have done that you will do all your tagging and metadata changes in calibre. Then, once you have told calibre to automatically manage the metadata, every time you connect the Sony to calibre all metadata will be updated from calibre to the Sony, no need to resend the books. Here's a very detailed post if you want to know more about it. It takes longer to read than to actually do what is necessary.
Thanks jackie_w. I am going to look at this carefully.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #57
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lost its edge ? that's an understatement if there ever was one.
Not only it has no front light but it's not HD like the Paperwhite is and no 3G in sight either ...

Only downside of the Kindle is that it does not support epub. But that does not change the fact that the T2 sucks, big time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I just saw a video for the Amazon Paperwhite. The illuminated screen is nice. It seems to me that for the first time Sony has fallen behind Amazon in technical innovation.

In the US market, I cannot see why anyone would buy a Sony. It costs more and does not have more. If you want buttons over pure touch, you would buy a Nook which also has glow. I think Sony will only do well in places where the Paperwhite and Nook are not available.

Sony needs to up its game fast if it wants to stay alive in the market. Is it too late?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #58
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Kindle has at least ONE huge downside in my eyes: it's a closed system. Which not only leads to not supporting epub but behaving partly like an Iphone. You are bundled to Amazon.

But you are right - the minimum a new 6" reader should have is a better screen resolution. The technology exists and obviously is ready since months. 800x600 versus 1024x768 on 6" makes a visible difference when using small fonts. A key feature of an ereader is it's screen, I presume...

Concerning 3G:
I for my part would pay some extra money NOT having it. I do not like the feeling my reader could phone home telling someone what, when and how fast I'm reading, what words I'm marking in my books and if it's DRM-prodected when and where I bought a book. This was one of the reasons I bought my first reader from Sony and not from Amazon.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #59
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
@ maritimer

Thank you for this information,

Now I just have to find the money to go to Nova Scotia!

I'm kidding!

It is very curious to see how the prices can vary from region to region across Canada. By the way, I'm sure there is no more T1 now, even in your province (FutureShop shows sold out). Too bad!

Have a nice evening.
Sorry I didn't reply, forgot about this thread! It was in Alberta, but they too were sold out. If I were you I'd call any Walmart within driving distance and see if they have any stock. It's always hit and miss when stores are clearing out. I wish you luck!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #60
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Analogus, how do you figure the Kindles represent a closed system? Seems identical to the Sony situation to me. You can take epubs and convert them, if required, for any other e-reader. If you're talking DRM, the DRM on Sony e-books is no more transportable or 'open' than Amazon's.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote