Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Ebby
Enthusiast
Ebby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs t1
Screen color/quality

Hello,

I have my Sony Prs-t1 since wednesday. I have read many reviews before deciding to buy it. In all of them it was mentioned how the screen was white. This is my first e-reader and I never see other readers before and do not have the possibility to do it.

To me the screen appears light grey and not white (or almost white). When there is a very good day lighting the reeding is comfortable but in a rainy day or at night with artificial lighting I find the contrast is not really enough. In this case I have to go on the display preferences to put the text as black as possible, think who alters a little the fonts.

As I have no point of comparison I wonder if my screen is as it should be. Are you experiencing the same with your Prs-t1?
Ebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Hello,

I have my Sony Prs-t1 since wednesday. I have read many reviews before deciding to buy it. In all of them it was mentioned how the screen was white. This is my first e-reader and I never see other readers before and do not have the possibility to do it.

To me the screen appears light grey and not white (or almost white). When there is a very good day lighting the reeding is comfortable but in a rainy day or at night with artificial lighting I find the contrast is not really enough. In this case I have to go on the display preferences to put the text as black as possible, think who alters a little the fonts.

As I have no point of comparison I wonder if my screen is as it should be. Are you experiencing the same with your Prs-t1?
no eink screen is white. They are all a little grey. Your T1 is functioning as it should. One thing to think about is getting a light cover. It works very well and you'll have more light for the screen in low light situations. Both my mother and mother-in-law have a light cover for their T1 and they do use it sometimes. I have a light cover for my 650 and i sometimes do use it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Hello,

Welcome to MobileRead, Ebby! It is quite common for new users to have the same concern that you do. Many people who have never had an ereader before expect the screen to be white when in fact it is really light grey.

I agree with JSWolf that a good reading light is important especially at night. It will make the screen look more white in low-light conditions. If you cannot find a cover with a built-in light, then there are many threads on MobileRead where people recommend their favorite clip-on lights. Or you could just read in an area of your home where you are sitting near a lamp with good light.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I agree. Good lighting makes a huge difference. In bright light, the screens on both my T1 and 350 look almost white and the contrast is fantastic. In poor light the screens are grey and difficult to read. Then again, isn't that the case with paper books as well?
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If better lighting doesn't make it comfortable reading use larger font, clean glasses or get new prescription for glasses.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Ebby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If you cannot find a cover with a built-in light, then there are many threads on MobileRead where people recommend their favorite clip-on lights. Or you could just read in an area of your home where you are sitting near a lamp with good light.
I will make a search on the forum to try to find some clip-on lights. If there is some with a good autonomy (or maybe rechargeable) it will be fantastic.

I definitely have to find a good lighting system. Here in Belgium we have much more grey days then sunny luminous days, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Then again, isn't that the case with paper books as well?
Sure we have the same problem with paper books but I thing the difference is less important then with the reader screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
If better lighting doesn't make it comfortable reading use larger font, clean glasses or get new prescription for glasses.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

$36.99
$44.00
$37.24

The use a AAA battery. You could get a rechargeable type if you want a rechargeable battery.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you don't want the weight of a battery-driven light permanently built into the cover, the clip-on Lightwedge Verso Arc Rechargeable eReader Light is very nice. It weighs only a few grammes and is rechargeable via USB cable. One benefit is that if you buy a new reader you can still use the same clip-on.

However, it does seem quite pricey at the moment (eBay or Amazon). I was lucky enough to get one when they were on special offer at Waterstones.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Ebby
Enthusiast

Yes this light seems very interesting but as you said it is a little pricy.

At home I will use a silicon case I ordered on ebay us (I'm waiting for it). I still have to find a cover for outside reading. The sony case (even the simple one) is really very expensive (much more here than in USA and as it is a Sony I'm sure I will have to pay the customs fees if I order it from there) for a what it is.

I think I will essentially need the light at home so the clip-on seems the best solution.

Do you know if the Lightwedge Verso Arc Rechargeable eReader Light will fit over the silicon case?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you know if the Lightwedge Verso Arc Rechargeable eReader Light will fit over the silicon case?
I'm sorry, but I don't know. It worked OK with the official Sony standard cover. It comes with 2 different removable clips. I think designed for either the Kindle or the Nook. Neither clip is spring operated though. They are just shaped rigid plastic with a rubberised lining to avoid scratches. I got mine to work by sliding the clip between the back of the reader and the cover until it was firmly attached. I think the original design is that the clip slides directly onto an uncased Kindle/Nook.

I hear you about Euro prices versus US prices. I'm in the UK and we seem to have to pay top prices for everything
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Ebby
Enthusiast

I'm going to try to find out if the size of the clip is enough big to fit the reader + the thickness of the silicon.

Is the sony cover is made with so cheap material as I have read on reviews? An other thing is that I have the white reader and if I had to buy the official case I thing it will be nice to have it in white too but I think one part of the cover is made of fabrics, so I suppose it will be very messy. The price here for the standard cover is 35€ (45$ or 28£) I don't know if it worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I hear you about Euro prices versus US prices. I'm in the UK and we seem to have to pay top prices for everything
Oh yes that's true! Here in Belgium it is worst than in UK. That's why I buy very often from UK but when it is comparing to USA it is steel good to cry!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is the sony cover is made with so cheap material as I have read on reviews?
Well, I don't think anyone could describe the plastic as 'classy' or 'expensive-looking'. However, I haven't found it to be flimsy. The outer covers are 2 different textures of plastic. The pros of the standard case are its light weight (83g empty), its slimness and the fact that the plastic box completely encloses all the T1's corners. Being plastic you should also be able to clean it quite easily, but I haven't needed to with my dark red one. I'd be a bit worried whether the white cover would turn a bit yellow over time - but this is not based on any actual facts or reports from others. Something else you should know about the official Sony covers - once the PRST1 is IN it doesn't really want to come OUT. It IS removable but every time I've done it I've been afraid I was going to break something. Maybe I just don't have the knack If you want to constantly switch between a silicon case and another case you might get fed up quite quickly with the Sony.

If you want to consider a classier case (IMO obviously) which is a bit cheaper than the official Sony, you could consider the brand new Gecko real leather one. See this recent post and subsequent ones (including my own) in the same thread to form your own opinion. Gecko is a Netherlands company, so you should get fast free shipping.

If you want to see a few other case choices then start at post #1 of the same thread and while away an evening.

Just a note about the Verso Arc light with the Gecko cover, though. You can't slide the clip between the reader and the Gecko case along the top edge because there is no gap there. I've had to use the right or left edge instead. The left gives more available positions. It still seems to function just fine for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The majority of my reading time is without a light, mostly because I prefer hauling around the reader in the slimmer cover without the light, and not having to carry the clip-on light with me (I hate carrying a purse, so it's whatever I can stuff in my pockets, and the less, the better). For my eyes, by raising the contrast and lowering the brightness on the reader's settings, and using a bolder font, lets me read in dimmer light very nicely without any eye strain. I wouldn't be able to read a paperback book in that lighting, so those settings make a huge difference. You just have to experiment and find your comfort level.

When I do need to use a light, the Verso rechargeable clip-on mentioned above is very good, as is the Sony cover with the light, I switch between those two.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You do realize that putting your reading in a pocket is a risk of getting it damaged. All it takes is someone to bump you.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Ebby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For my eyes, by raising the contrast and lowering the brightness on the reader's settings, and using a bolder font, lets me read in dimmer light very nicely without any eye strain. I wouldn't be able to read a paperback book in that lighting, so those settings make a huge difference. You just have to experiment and find your comfort level.
Yes I'm using the reader settings now too. In an other post I was talking about some ebooks I have where it is impossible to change the fonts (and some fonts are bolder then other so it is annoying) but they give me a solution I have to try to see if it works to be able to change it on those ebooks.

I was wondering if it is possible to add other police choices on the reader police options? I suppose no.

Last edited by Ebby; 05-07-2012 at 06:40 PM.