Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
First Impressions & Comparisons

In a few months, my wife's cell phone contract will be up. I'll be changing carriers at that time, and my handy, little WM6 smartphone will be a boat-anchor. Hmmm... What about this newfangled Android stuff? Is it any good?

AHA! I can check it out for cheap with a Nook Color! (Note the clever rationaiization for buying a new toy?)

So:
1) It's HEAVY! My jetBook is a bit on the weighty side. The K3 is featherweight by comparison. A 4 A-h battery is not light! I doubt you could start small gasoline engines with it, but maybe...
2) It's PRETTY. I didn't realize how much I missed a big, bright, LCD color screen. It's like the worlds largest PDA! (Ooooh! Shiny!)
3) It has a card slot! Huzzah! I miss that on the Kindle. I use the jetBook's card a lot.
4) Barnes & Noble did not screw around with eReader and mess it up. Works mostly the same as before. Ah, comfort.
5) The capacitive touch screen is different from my PDA/smarphone resistive screens. Personally, I don't like it as well, but YMMV.
6) The app store is a nice method of customization. One reason I bought the Nook is that it has some PDA functionality in apps. We'll see if it's good enough to make me dump smartphones entirely and use it as a giant PDA.
7) It works perfectly with 3rd party ePubs. I'd heard mixed signals about this. Right now, it's 2 for 2 on unencrypted ePubs. I haven't tried stock ADE books. I don't think I have any in hand at the moment---Oops, I found a couple of old ones. Works fine except they show up in 'My Files' rather than the Library.
8) The Crossword app is nice.

The next step will be to try it with Outlook sync. I'm told that will be fun. :[

Ka-plah!

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wouldn't draw too many Android conclusions based solely on the nookcolor (NC) because the NC uses a terrible hybrid OS that is part Android and part B&N garbage. I think a true Android tablet or phone will be a different and better experience and comparison. In other words, don't give up on Android based on the NC running the stock software.

If you are technically inclined, even just a little bit, you can create a boot disk using a microSD card and run CM7 (a version of Android built for devices like the NC) and also be able to remove the microSD card and still run the stock B&N firmware. That will give you a much better capability of assessing Android. It will also make for a better tablet which is opened up to much of the Android Market rather than a tiny subset of apps. True Android reader apps are much better than that gosh-awful stock reader app on the NC. It is pathetic, but fortunately there are several alternative Android readers to choose from like Coolreader, FBreader, Aldiko, Moon+ Reader, Kindle, Nook (Android app), Sony, et cetera. Some are really good, others not so much. Even the Android version of Nook is much better than the NC stock reader app! All that I listed are better than the stock NC reader except perhaps the Sony app (which really sucks). By having a few reader apps to choose from, you greatly increase the number of eBook formats which you can read.

I agree that the touch screen is not as responsive and polished as other tablets, but the display from it is very good. The screen is exceptional for reading eBooks, not so much for typing and data entry.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you understood what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't draw too many Android conclusions based solely on the nookcolor (NC) because the NC uses a terrible hybrid OS that is part Android and part B&N garbage. I think a true Android tablet or phone will be a different and better experience and comparison. In other words, don't give up on Android based on the NC running the stock software.
If Nook is very unlike Android, and I like Nook, does that mean I won't like Android? Perhaps I should take the Nook back and go with a dumb phone come Feb?

Quote:
True Android reader apps are much better than that gosh-awful stock reader app on the NC. It is pathetic, but fortunately there are several alternative Android readers to choose from like Coolreader, FBreader, Aldiko, Moon+ Reader, Kindle, Nook (Android app), Sony, et cetera. Some are really good, others not so much. Even the Android version of Nook is much better than the NC stock reader app! All that I listed are better than the stock NC reader except perhaps the Sony app (which really sucks). By having a few reader apps to choose from, you greatly increase the number of eBook formats which you can read.
No thanks. I like the eReader derived reader on the Nook. FBreader is an OK reader, and I've used on various platforms. I own a Kindle 3 so a Kindle reader for the Nook would be counterproductive. If I need format flexibility, I use the jetBook, which still has everyone else beaten.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I don't think you understood what I wrote.

If Nook is very unlike Android, and I like Nook, does that mean I won't like Android? Perhaps I should take the Nook back and go with a dumb phone come Feb?

No thanks. I like the eReader derived reader on the Nook. FBreader is an OK reader, and I've used on various platforms. I own a Kindle 3 so a Kindle reader for the Nook would be counterproductive. If I need format flexibility, I use the jetBook, which still has everyone else beaten.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

ahh pay him no mind he's our resident nook troll.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
(...) the NC uses a terrible hybrid OS that is part Android and part B&N garbage (...)

(...) True Android reader apps are much better than that gosh-awful stock reader app on the NC. It is pathetic (...)
We should call you "Duracell Bunny", you are relentless! Keep it up!

To the OP, pretty much all the android phones out there have a customized skin on top of the Android OS (the exceptions are the Nexus phones and one of the LGs, if I recall correctly). The NC is not different, though it takes it a bit further. If you want to experience pure (or nearly pure) Android, create an SD card with CM7 and boot from it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
It's important to me that I have a Nook that's standard (so I can talk customers through problems, among other things) so I hadn't thought about rooting my C-Nook but the idea of putting Android on a SD card is interesting. Are there instructions on doing so anywhere?

Rob Preece
[edit - please visit your User CP to create a signature - Moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 05-22-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: [edit - please visit your User CP to create a signature - Moderator]
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
the idea of putting Android on a SD card is interesting. Are there instructions on doing so anywhere?
These instructions are pretty good.
http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complet...he-nook-color/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

A few more experiments have found:
1) The best format for lists seems to be .xlsx.
2) Formatted text files seem to work best as HTML3 from Word 2010.
3) BN IMO made a mistake by not including .rtf as a neutral format.
4) I miss arrow keys when editing. Even WM6 h/w rec. had arrows.
5) Photo viewing is dyn-o-mite.
6) Thumb typing is not.
7) File management is pitiful. I understand the 'no delete' thing, but for heaven's sake, how about file size and date added? Especially for photos
8) The slideshow button on the photo viewer doesn't seem to do anything.
9) Battery life is pretty good for a power hog. Wifi on or off doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, probably because as a percentage, it's a small amount on such a big backlit screen.

I picked xlsx format purely because MS Office seems to be going that way.

The omission of rtf as a neutral file format, while including a bunch of doc and docx variants is puzzling. rtf has very few bad features. It primarily omits a lot of file characteristics that can only get you in trouble if it gets crosswise. You can recover rtf files easily if they get corrupted, and they can't transmit nasty things. Both doc and docx worked (though docx was very slow to load), but plain vanilla filtered HTML 3 was best behaved. PDF was typical PDF, although even a tagged file didn't reflow. Shame, shame, shame.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

A comment or two on add-on software:

Springpad: Works OK and does some useful things. How do they plan on making money?
Fliq Note: Works OK, but doesn't seem to do anything useful. If you write a note and can't do anything with it, why wouldn't I just inscribe it on a roadside rock?

My next look will probably be Quickoffice. I suppose I'll have to link with Google Docs for that, this being Android and all.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I am a little puzzled about what you are using to type this stuff (i.e. where you talk about formatted text files, rtf, etc) if you don't already have QuickOffice. I'm thinking I've been missing something on my Nook Color? I have QuickOffice, but how else are you doing this typing and file saving?

As far as Springpad, I "purchased" it (it was free), but after reading a description of how it works on their website I quickly got rid of it. From what I read, it "enhances" your notes and lists with links to websites that have info about what you entered. In other words, they are tracking you and watching what you are entering, it seems to me. Yikes! It seemed like the most invasive app I ever heard of. And this after I just read a few articles about how mobile apps can be very invasive and you don't even know it.

So now you know how they are making money - by putting links (i.e. ads) into your entries. No thanks!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I am a little puzzled about what you are using to type this stuff (i.e. where you talk about formatted text files, rtf, etc) if you don't already have QuickOffice. I'm thinking I've been missing something on my Nook Color? I have QuickOffice, but how else are you doing this typing and file saving?
The NC native file viewers are surprisingly pleasant and versatile. Go to My Files and click on a .xlsx file you've sideloaded and a reasonable static representation of the spreadsheet shows up. Same for other supported formats. The NC website makes a big deal about it. For a book/file reader, that's all that's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
As far as Springpad, I "purchased" it (it was free), but after reading a description of how it works on their website I quickly got rid of it. From what I read, it "enhances" your notes and lists with links to websites that have info about what you entered. In other words, they are tracking you and watching what you are entering, it seems to me. Yikes! It seemed like the most invasive app I ever heard of. And this after I just read a few articles about how mobile apps can be very invasive and you don't even know it.

So now you know how they are making money - by putting links (i.e. ads) into your entries. No thanks!
I'd be surprised if that's enough to make any profit. I can see them selling it to advertisers that way, but after a few years, I doubt they get much money net. If they're going out of business (likely), or selling my email address to someone (they claim not), I'll probably kill them off. The service does work as advertised though, so bully!

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
This thread reads like people trying to build a radio from a coconut, when what they've mistaken for a coconut was in fact already a fully functioning radio.

If you're content with an e-reader that can manage an app or two, by all means carry on, though I don't know why you would pay $250 for such a thing. If you intend to wring an iota of productivity from the device, however, for the love of ice cream put a real android operating system on it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
This thread reads like people trying to build a radio from a coconut, when what they've mistaken for a coconut was in fact already a fully functioning radio.

If you're content with an e-reader that can manage an app or two, by all means carry on, though I don't know why you would pay $250 for such a thing. If you intend to wring an iota of productivity from the device, however, for the love of ice cream put a real android operating system on it.
Written to all posters of this thread, no one in particular,

I agree, and that is all I was trying to state. However, certain people still want to label me as a troll even when I try to help with OBJECTIVE observations. I'm not a troll, but I'm not a cult member either. If I have an ipad it is because it gets the job done, not because I worship at the alter of Jobs, nor will I worship at the alter of NC or Android as some do! If you folks cannot be objective like taosaur, then I truly feel sorry for you as that seriously limits your intellectual capability. It makes you a cult member, and that is sad. My advice and philosophy is to use what works for you and be happy with it. Don't call other folks trolls simply because they are not a GD replication of yourself. And the fact that I've held onto my NC since december, installed CM7, etc. indicates that although I'm really frustrated with Android I'm still trying to make it work for me. That is a lot more than most of you will do with an iPad or Windows device because you are to GD closeminded to think outside of your cult teachings!

Last edited by jswinden; 05-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If you're really wanting to try out the Android OS and don't want to change the NC stock device, try running CM7 from an SD card.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html

The time investment is about 30 minutes; the money investment is about $70 (assuming you get the same SD card I used, which isn't necessary); and it will really give you the Android Flavor experience more than the NC stock device can.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
What's coming at you is coming from you.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote