Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
E-book
E-book began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Is the Kindle right for me... @.@

Hey guys, I'm an avid book reader who's been using my Ipod touch to read .txt, converted pdf, epubs, and assorted files for years now, and before that simple .txt files on my tiny ipod/blackberry...

And I've just realized the Kindle is only $139 and it seems like a pretty great product, but I read that the kindle will only "read other types of non-DRM text-based content on your Kindle."

I've been able to get pretty much anything to work on my ipod touch, albeit a little ugly at times, so now I'm wondering if I can do the same with Kindle. I've got a pretty large collection of free and not free e-books on my computer that I'm hoping to be able to read on a decent sized screen. Will I be unable to read some of my books? Is it only epubs that have DRM?

If I can only read books that I've purchased from the Amazon store, not interested...

Sorry if this post was a little convoluted haha, thanks for your help
E-book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle's standard format AZW is exactly the same as MOBI, and the Kindle will read DRM-free MOBI ebooks. You can side-load them via USB.

Calibre, which has its own forum here, can convert just about any DRM-free ebook format to MOBI for a Kindle.

MOBI is not as capable as ePub, but it is good enough for many purposes. If you want, you can jailbreak the Kindle and read ePubs directly (FBreader & fbKindle).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
The Kindle does not read epubs natively. I'm not sure about txt or pdf. There are (as always) ways to strip DRM and convert between formats. Have you considered one of the other readers out there? I read epub, pdf, ADE pdf, txt, rtf on my Sony without the need for any conversion. With the exception of B&N and possibly Apple?, epubs have a generic DRM - I buy mostly from Kobo but read on the Sony. An epub reader has the added advantage of being able to borrow library books. Your local library may have ebooks, otherwise there are a number that allow non resident membership for a fee. Philadelphia is very well regarded on MR.

Which epub reader is another question, and depends on how you are going to use it and what features you value. For myself, I chose the Sony for its simplicity and price - at the time it was one of the cheaper ones available to me, I definitely wanted epub, I wanted a solid build and reliability since I was buying while overseas and returns would not be worthwhile, and I wasn't interested in connectivity. Also keep in mind that connectivity is generally designed so that the customer can buy direct from the tethered bookstore - I'm not sure how well it works with other sites although you should be able to find the information in the relevant device forums here.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
I think that once you switch to a dedicated e-reader you'll never go back. They're brilliant. Did you try the Kindle for iphone/ipod touch app on your ipod? You can try out the kindle store, maybe try a few free titles.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Although Sony PRS-x50 would be a better fit you can always install Duokan for your Kindle 3 to read epub and many other formats that K3 otherwise is not able to read.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The kindle does read text (txt) files. As a matter of fact, it will read html (and use links to launch its browser) if the the extension is changed/renamed to txt. And they also read pdf files - but depending on what size page is was initially meant to print to, the font size can be a problem. But Calibre can convert it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Calibre also has a plug in that can assist with any DRM issue, I've been told.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
If you want to read DRMed epubs without breaking the DRM, you need something like a nook or a Sony. The nook is probably your best bet if price is important, you can get the wi-fi only model for $149 or sometimes $119 refurbished. If you're willing to pay a little more, the PRS-*50 series Sonys are great.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-book View Post
Hey guys, I'm an avid book reader who's been using my Ipod touch to read .txt, converted pdf, epubs, and assorted files for years now, and before that simple .txt files on my tiny ipod/blackberry...

And I've just realized the Kindle is only $139 and it seems like a pretty great product, but I read that the kindle will only "read other types of non-DRM text-based content on your Kindle."

I've been able to get pretty much anything to work on my ipod touch, albeit a little ugly at times, so now I'm wondering if I can do the same with Kindle. I've got a pretty large collection of free and not free e-books on my computer that I'm hoping to be able to read on a decent sized screen. Will I be unable to read some of my books? Is it only epubs that have DRM?

If I can only read books that I've purchased from the Amazon store, not interested...

I had these same concerns when I bought my kindle. Not a problem. It is very easy to convert from any non-drm format to mobi. And the problem that everybody is always talking about- that you can't read library books on the kindle- is not a problem because there are so few library books even in epub anyway. But don't expect to be reading pdfs on it unless you get a kindle dx. Those things are really ugly when you try to read them.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I had a kindle 3 for a while. Cool device. Very lightweight and beautiful eink screen with fast page turns and awesome battery life. I think you'd enjoy it. That said, I sold it and bought a nook color the day they hit the shelves. Other than battery life (which isn't a big deal to me) I find the nook color superior in every way (including that this response is being typed on the nook color right now).
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle 3 will suit your needs quite nicely. Probably any of the e-readers will suit your needs quite nicely.

The Kindle does not read EPub unless it is converted using a program like Calibre. But the Amazon bookstore is the largest book store available. There are other independent book stores that sell Mobi books that you can read on a Kindle.

Go to Best Buy and take a look at the Sony, Nook, and Kindle. That will give you a feel for each device and you can see if one stands out for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-book View Post
All major USA online bookstores sell their books with DRM protection so do not get confuse with what the formats are. You cannot read Nook books outside the Nook and same for Kindle. Assuming you bought from their respectives stores.

My advice to you would be check titles on their stores and compare prices and availability. The one with more titles and better prices should give you an idea of the device you need.

Kindle is light, fast changing pages and has landscape mode, PDF support among others.
Another comparable device is Sony.

Nook Color is not a dedicated reader and is locked out the box, no Android market; it is also heavier and poor battery life. Kindle gives you up to one month with one charge.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Yes the nook color is as much a dedicated reader as any other; that is why it is locked down.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Yes the nook color is as much a dedicated reader as any other; that is why it is locked down.
It is locked down for marketing purposes and to force users to buy in B&N store.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It is locked down for marketing purposes and to force users to buy in B&N store.
What? are you kidding me? If that was the case they wouldn't support multiple formats.
The fact that the nook color doesn't have access to the Android market place is more to the fact that it is a dedicated eReader.
It's User interface is all about ereading and features that are just not possible on eink.

I don't know what Barnes and Noble did to you but man you just pump out more lies and misinformation. this is crazy.

and you seriously need to stop confusing people about ePub

Google does NOT USE proprietar DRM on ePub
Fictionwise does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Kobo does NOT use Proprietary DRM on ePub
Borders does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Librarys do not use Proprietary DRM on ePub

they all use a ADOBE Digital Reader which is supported on ALL devices except for the Kindle.

But you know this already but yet you still keep telling people ALL online bookstores slap their OWN DRM on their books.

People use these forums for help.

Last edited by boswd; 01-19-2011 at 12:01 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote