Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Pingu
Enthusiast
Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not a cover, not a skin but protection---ideas?

I have a Timbultu sleeve for the K3 which is great but I want something to protect the Kindle from bangs etc when I am using it nude. I have looked and looked and am either dumb or missing something.

I don't want a stick on skin, I want something with a bit of thickness. Am I am making any sense?!

So I just found this

This seems to be what I am after-any comments?

Thanks

Last edited by Pingu; 12-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
haseya07
haseya07 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Silicone covers, I think, are only good for keeping your device from scratches and maybe slight bumps. Other than that, It doesn't offer much protection. That's just me, though.
haseya07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I use anti-glare screen protector for protecting the screen from scratches. But it is madness to have it without a bubbles. Grrr.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
The measure of a "bang" is acceleration. The mass is fixed at the mass of the KINDLE. The only parameter that you're left with to change is the distance over which the acceleration takes place. Thicker is gentler and gentler is tuned to the impact.

The screen is at greatest risk of being broken for being large, brittle and exposed.

I am most concerned with trash entry and have covered the ports with slightly sticky, no residue tape.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I've used a silicone cover similar to what is in the OP on every Kindle since the first version and we now have 5 Kindles total. These sort of covers are great as they do indeed add some bump protection but more importantly they improve the handling of the reader. Well, except for the first Kindle which has a rubber back and being wedge shaped allows a more positive grip if you hold the reader in your left hand.

And it is correct a silicone cover or sleeve ( am not sure what to call actually call them) does not offer any screen protection. Still I would not add any of the clear screen protectors. We all use a-frame style Kindle covers. We have been through all the different style hard covers from Cole-Haan, Amazon, M-edge and a couple others. We found any of the book-style covers awkward to handle and with since the adding of the new hinge it just doesn't feel secure. The a-frame is more is nice because the front flips over the top and just handles better over all. The model we settled on is from M-Edge and the main reason I first tried it was because it didn't have the hinge, it uses a couple, wait here is a link to the cover on Amazon, it is easier than trying to describe it What I do is usually slip my reader with it's silicone sleeve into the cover then just slip the two elastic corners over the reader's corners to hold the reader in the hard-cover. That was the biggest selling point for me, the reader fits into the hard-cover with the sleeve on the reader. You do not want to keep taking the silicone sleeve on and off as each time it will stretch out of shape a bit more until it won't recover anymore.

But the combination of the sleeve and the hard-cover really seems to be ideal for all the moving about we do with our readers. And none of us ever use a reading light and we have tried the new lighted cover for the K3, well I did since I have a couple K3's for under the tree and needed to try the new lighted cover which I sent back in favor of what we are used to and like.

Oh, if you use the silicone sleeve it puts a lot of strain on the hinge in covers that use a hinge to hold the reader in the cover so I really would not recommend using both in that style hard-cover.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Pingu, can you provide a link as to where one can purchase that skin?

Where did you find that skin?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I ended up getting several of silicone covers with a bundle purchase and in my option they are waste. They do not sit properly on the device and shift too easy. They also leave gaps around the side. I will post a picture if you would like to see it.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0454.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	62548   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0453.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	678.7 KB
ID:	62549   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0449.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	772.8 KB
ID:	62550   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0452.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	830.5 KB
ID:	62551   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0455.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	62552  

Last edited by nimblem; 12-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
That certainly does look poorly fitted nothing like the photos in the original posting.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I ended up getting several of silicone covers with a bundle purchase and in my option they are waste. They do not sit properly on the device and shift too easy. They also leave gaps around the side. I will post a picture if you would like to see it.
you put it on improperly and stretched it out of shape. that is the problem with them if you aren't careful, or even if you are. You can try a blow dryer on one of the lowest settings which could let it snap back to life.

All I know is I have used and we currently use 5 soon to be seven silicone covers with no issues....slide the Kindle in don't try and stretch the cover around the reader.

EDIT: I looked closer at your pictures and those sleeves look a lot thinner than the ones we use. But still they can have a tendency to want to stretch if you tug on it in the slightest. But the thinner silicon could explain why yours is so bad.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 12-09-2010 at 12:28 PM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Yeah snipe... They are probably made from a different company...
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
nimblem
Addict

hmmm i will try to heat it up to shrink it down a bit. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Pingu
Enthusiast

I had a link in my OP but it's gone...edited out?

I'll have to go and look again for it.

Thanks all.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
Pingu
Enthusiast

Marware SportGrip for Amazon Kindle 3