Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
As my first nomination I would like to nominate a fun fantasy book by Terry Brooks:
Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!

The advertisement for a fantasy kingdom in a Christmas catalog catches the eye of Ben Holiday, who was recently widowed and dissatisfied with his life; he finds a make-believe world of medieval splendor appealing. But when he arrives in the alternate world of Landover, all is not fun and jousting. Dangers abound, and his actions have a life-and-death reality. The castle is a rusted heap, its army disbanded, and the entire kingdom decayed from the loss of magic. Only a ragtag handful of retainers remain in the castle to serve the new king. Even worse, the feudal lords are in revolt, a dragon ravages the land, and the first pretty girl Ben meets turns into a tree. A demon lord has pledged to kill any king, and the ghostly knight intended to protect the throne is an empty pile of armor. Ben tackles things head on and finds the strength to conquer problems both mundane and supernatural.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #32
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooblues View Post
As my first nomination I would like to nominate a fun fantasy book by Terry Brooks:

The advertisement for a fantasy kingdom in a Christmas catalog catches the eye of Ben Holiday, who was recently widowed and dissatisfied with his life; he finds a make-believe world of medieval splendor appealing. But when he arrives in the alternate world of Landover, all is not fun and jousting. Dangers abound, and his actions have a life-and-death reality. The castle is a rusted heap, its army disbanded, and the entire kingdom decayed from the loss of magic. Only a ragtag handful of retainers remain in the castle to serve the new king. Even worse, the feudal lords are in revolt, a dragon ravages the land, and the first pretty girl Ben meets turns into a tree. A demon lord has pledged to kill any king, and the ghostly knight intended to protect the throne is an empty pile of armor. Ben tackles things head on and finds the strength to conquer problems both mundane and supernatural.
I'll Second this. Terry Brooks is one of my favorite authors!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think LoTR is one book... yes it was originally published in three parts...

However, I would question if most people would read the full thing. I would expect having it on the list would just be a novelty.

However, if three people give it the nod it can make the list.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #34
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooblues View Post
I just reread this, but I'll give it a third nomination. I get three nominations, right?
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #35
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I nominate For the Win by Corey Doctorow
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #36
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I nominate "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #37
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think LoTR is one book... yes it was originally published in three parts...

However, I would question if most people would read the full thing. I would expect having it on the list would just be a novelty.

However, if three people give it the nod it can make the list.

BOb
Banjomike and I already did, so it should be on the list. Then it is up to the vote of the potential readers if they think they can manage.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So with your nomination then are you saying it is the Entire Trilogy we'd read this month?
It is not (as the note you quoted in your post says) a "trilogy"; it is a single novel, sometimes published in three volumes. Yes, that is my nomination. Of course you don't have to read it all if you don't wish to!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #39
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Pedantic note.

The Lord of the Rings was first published in three volumes, each volume consisting of two books :

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring (Books I, The Ring Sets Out, and II, The Ring Goes South,)

Volume II: The Two Towers (Books III, The Treason of Isengard, and IV, The Ring Goes East,)

Volume III: The Return of the King (Books V, The War of the Ring, and VI, The End of the Third Age, plus six appendices).

It is clearly a single work, so there can be no objection to its nomination in this thread.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #40
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I will second "American Gods" and raise you a Terry Pratchett's "Witches Abroad", in which Granny Weatherwax bats Gollum over the head with an oar and sinks him, putting an end to that story possibility with aplomb.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll nominate The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold.

This is a stand-alone fantasy novel, complete in itself, and not part of some great series. It's available in drm-free multiformat at Fictionwise.

The book is set in Montefoglia, a fictional Italian city-state of the late 1500s. Magic exists as a routine technical craft.

Review here: http://www.bscreview.com/2005/10/boo...e-spirit-ring/

"From the beginning the characters are believable. The central characters, in particular, are interesting and well thought out, drawing the reader into the machinations of plot and the inner turmoil of each individual. The imagery is accomplished with a subtle hand, the humor even more so."

"The Spirit Ring is an absorbing and enjoyable read."

It's probably the least well-known of her books, but well worth reading. I'd certainly be delighted to have an excuse to re-read it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll third American Gods.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Fantasy? I'll nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). There's enough weird in that book to keep a thread alive for a year. Heck, there's even enough in there to write entire commentaries about. Come to think of it, people have!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-23-2010 at 10:48 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I nominate For the Win by Corey Doctorow
That's science fiction, not fantasy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
I will second "American Gods" and raise you a Terry Pratchett's "Witches Abroad", in which Granny Weatherwax bats Gollum over the head with an oar and sinks him, putting an end to that story possibility with aplomb.
The problem with nominating Witches Abroad is that it's part of an ongoing series and it's not the first one. It's possible it may have some spoilers or some things on it people won't get unless they've read all the proceeding books in the Discworld series. I've read some of the Discworld books and yes, reading in published order is the best way to enjoy them. You may be better off canceling that nomination and instead going for Colour of Magic instead as that is the first book in the series.

P.S., Bob, is there any rule about nominating books in a series that is not the first book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote