Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
BD "failed to make Sony Reader file"

OK, I'm a BD newbee, but I just downloaded it and was following HarryT's instructions. Works great, right up to the point where I click "make". Then BD runs along for a while, until the progress bar says "Converting lrs to lrf... , wait, please". Then it puts up a dialog saying it failed and I'm back to the make menu.

I've tried a number of settings, with no success. Then I clicked the little R, and it switched to reader mode. Now I can't switch it back and there are no menu bars anymore. Quiting and restarting doesn't even get me back a menu bar. I'm stuck - with nothing.

A) How can I switch it back to editing mode?

B) How can I figure out why it is bombing?
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To switch out of reader mode, right click anywhere in the main window and select "editor mode" from the pop-up menu.

As far as bombing goes, did you install BD 4 first and then unzip the BD 5 update on top of it? Which operating system are you using? If it's Vista, you must install the program into a folder other than "Program Files"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
OK, I'm a BD newbee, but I just downloaded it and was following HarryT's instructions. Works great, right up to the point where I click "make". Then BD runs along for a while, until the progress bar says "Converting lrs to lrf... , wait, please". Then it puts up a dialog saying it failed and I'm back to the make menu.

I've tried a number of settings, with no success. Then I clicked the little R, and it switched to reader mode. Now I can't switch it back and there are no menu bars anymore. Quiting and restarting doesn't even get me back a menu bar. I'm stuck - with nothing.

A) How can I switch it back to editing mode?

B) How can I figure out why it is bombing?
Can't help with Point A, but regarding Point B, I had the EXACT same problem yesterday with BD. It gave me the same message, and did the same thing. I had to de-install it and then, instead of going with the full release update, I used the beta one on the Wiki page, the last one dated 5-30-2007. It worked fine after that.

I don't know why it hung up. I run Windows XP with no service pack. All I know is that the full release update won't work, but the 5-3-07 one will.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, I've reinstalled everything again, without running BD. It seems that installing 5/30 doesn't over-write something that needs to be replaced. Maybe if I'd done basic + 5/30 I could have avoided the problem. All I know is that basic + last official + 5/30 doesn't bomb.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2Read View Post
I run Windows XP with no service pack.

I sure hope that's not the machine you're connected to the internet with!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I sure hope that's not the machine you're connected to the internet with!
Definitely not! Not on this laptop. I just use it for keeping certain household files, using little programs (like book deisgner, etc.) and things like that.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote