Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
moorspede
moorspede has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Astak v5 pro problems, I apologise, this is long.

I bought an Atskak V5 Pro on-line at their site. After I'd charged it up and had a play with it, I was in love with the thing. I then put attached the the device to via the cable to my computer. Nothing happened. Huh. The cable seemed a little loose where it attached to the device's port. I grabbed another cable which I knew worked and tried that. It still didn't work. I tried it on my partner's machine (he has windows 7 I have xp service pack 3). By this time I started to try everything I could no matter how stupid it seemed. I tried varying methods of booting the device, switching the computer on then switching the device on, keeping the device on while switching on the computer, etc. I turned off my virus checker. Nothing worked.

I then emailed support and waited, several days later I emailed them again, and waited. Finally, I emailed Sales stating that I could not get through to Support and that I was worried that the time I may take to get a refund may expire. They answered immediately stating that they would forward my email to Refunds. I told refunds that I liked the device and I was sorry that I couldn't get through to Technical Support and incorporated my second email to support in the body of the email, she forwarded it on to technical support.

Technical support replied saying to try it on another machine, I replied that I had done this and it hadn't worked. I also stated that I would prefer an exchange.

She wrote back that she didn't understand why I'd want to exchange the device when it didn't work on my machines!

I'm assuming that the port was damaged somehow in the manufacturing process, or that it is some kind of other hardware error. While packing it back into its box to return it I realised that I could not get the chip out of the device without tugging it (it slipped in easily). It is located right next to the port.

I could take this further and ask for an exchange, I live in Australia so each time I post it I'm $US40 out of pocket. Does anyone have any ideas?
moorspede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb

My first PEz was like that.
If I held the connection into the PEz just right, I could get it to work.

See:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56391
Also look at Message #35 of that post for what I found would make it work on a problem machine.

The downside to that fix, is you disable USB2 mode that you might need (for speed) if you use USB Mass Storage devices for large files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
moorspede
moorspede has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Thanks for pointing out something else to try, theducks, I had a look at post 35 but it did not help in my case. The posts confirming that several people have had the same problem has allowed me to make the choice not to try to exchange the device and probably waste more money than I already have.

Thank you again )
moorspede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
My experiences with mine - a week old now.

Sometimes, with the old firmware that it came with, it didn't seem to know I had plugged it in. It seemed to work more reliably if I plugged the cable into the reader first, then plugged the other end into the computer.

I found it was actually very tight to plug the cable into the reader. The black plastic of the cable plug has to slide under the top edge of the reader because the socket on the reader is recessed. Are you sure you are fully inserting the plug? It is also quite tight to remove.

It also seemed to work better if the device screen was showing the menu of files, rather than showing the contents of a book, when you connect it to the computer. Once, the prompt never came up until I exited the book I was reading, then, up it popped. Of course, you then have to press OK at the prompt otherwise it will sit there and never connect. With the new firmware I loaded recently, it seems it doesn't matter as much what the reader is doing when I connect it to the computer.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
suzymca
suzymca began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
I had that issue too, until I realised after trying many usb cables, that I actually had to push HARD the cable into the pez...give that a try maybe?
suzymca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzymca View Post
I had that issue too, until I realised after trying many usb cables, that I actually had to push HARD the cable into the pez...give that a try maybe?
That was one of my points too, yes. The plastic surrounding the small plug on the cable, will hit the readers top plastic edge, and you need to make sure it goes under the edge and the plug actually seats fully into the socket.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Fully agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
That was one of my points too, yes. The plastic surrounding the small plug on the cable, will hit the readers top plastic edge, and you need to make sure it goes under the edge and the plug actually seats fully into the socket.
Dear Jusmee and all:

It is nice to see that the USB cable fits tightly; BUT seating it fully can be a problem. You have to check it! Make certain that it fully seats.

When you attempt to charge, make certain that you visually confirm two things:

1. That you see a lightning bolt in the battery icon!!

2. That the little light in the upper left of the device is blinking in Orange Color (not red, but orange).

If these are not visible, you are not charging. Turn off the device, reseat the USB into the device, and wait to see it automatically turn itself "on". If it does not turn itself on, your USB connection is still not right. When the warm-up screen is over and you see the main menu you will be prompted on the screen, push any key except the large "OK" button (push the #7 button for example, but any numbered button will do).
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote