Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
juvalencia
juvalencia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Post Errors with any change in the library

Hi I have a library that is being kept synchronized between two computers using dropbox in one of the computer everytime I open and do any change I get the following error

calibre, version 0.9.38
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 272, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\check_library.py", line 292, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 57, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 315, in run
DatabaseException: disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 272, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Ho can I fix this?
I am running Calibre 0.938 as Administrator and it seems access rights is not the issue.
juvalencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Immediately make sure you have a good backup of your calibre library! You may be close to loosing your books and/or metadata.

I can see three possible causes, someone more familiar with this error message may be able to narrow it down:

1. The Dropbox software is active and has the file metadata.db open, perhaps in order to sync it with the other computer. Make sure that you never use calibre on more than one computer at a time, and that Dropbox is allowed to fully sync with the cloud before you turn the computer off or try to start calibre on another computer. Calibre is NOT intended to be used with networked filesystems or Dropbox. You have plenty of room for mistakes that can cause data loss if you ignore this.

2. The filesystem on the disk is corrupt. Disk maintenance software in your operating system might be able to fix it. But maybe not without data loss. If calibre works ok from the other computer, make sure to copy that library over after the filesystem has been checked and fixed.

3. The disk itself has failed. Disk maintenance software might be able to temporarily partially fix this, as a reformat also might be. But most likely you will have to get a replacement disk soon.

Last edited by Adoby; 07-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvalencia View Post
I am running Calibre 0.938 as Administrator and it seems access rights is not the issue.
Why as Administrator - should not be necessary ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In W7 being in an administrator group is not the same as being an administrator in XP.
In XP you always ran (admin) elevated.
In W7 (Vista) you just have the right to elevate via UAC.

In Unix, you would SU (sudo in Linux) to elevate a task right. The difference was SU lasted until terminated.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In W7 being in an administrator group is not the same as being an administrator in XP.
In XP you always ran (admin) elevated.
In W7 (Vista) you just have the right to elevate via UAC.

In Unix, you would SU (sudo in Linux) to elevate a task right. The difference was SU lasted until terminated.

I assume the OP is referring to the Run as administrator I've highlighted in the attachment

Its an artefact of Windows Vista, Seven and Eight - and as far as I know its not needed for calibre, I have a recollection of KG posting that when it is used some calibre features wont work.

See Teach Your Apps To Play Nicely With Windows User Account Control for a complete and very detailed explanation of the issues at hand (not for the faint hearted)

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2013-07-12 , 12_27_16.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	108139  

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Even though it is bad practice to routinely run a program like calibre as administrator, it should not be the cause of the error message described?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Even though it is bad practice to routinely run a program like calibre as administrator, it should not be the cause of the error message described?
Agreed - probably not the cause of this problem, but it maybe an attempt to bulldoze another problem out of the way, which is the cause of the problem.

You've got to go out of your way to run a program as admin.

BR

Tags
dropbox