Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Unhappy M92 -- dead? frozen? bricked?

Hi --

I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday, looked at a couple of PDFs and left the M92 to charge (the charge had gotten kind of low). Now it does not respond to anything -- it's stuck on a screen showing a list of PDFs on the SD card (which I have removed). The small orange light on the right hand side is on steady.

If I press the reset button on the back and hold in the on/off switch for something over 10 seconds, I can get the orange light to go off, but that's it ... once I release the reset and the on/off, the orange light comes back on, and I'm at the same frozen screen throughout this operation.

I tried it at least 3 times, with the unit plugged in, to no effect.

Additional detail: when I depress the on/off switch alone, I seem to see a small blue light behind the orange one, blinking three times.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

/Glenn

Last edited by chexmix; 02-09-2013 at 08:18 PM.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
1. Are you sure you used the right reset hole (small hole on the back of the device, NOT the one next to headphone socket?)

2. Try starting the device with both power button and "volume -" button pressed. This activates some sort of hard reset procedure.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Janek -

Yes. Definitely using the small hole in the back.

I will try your suggestion of power button / volume -. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
chexmix
Zealot

Interestingly (though frustratingly), I've plugged the unit into my laptop and there is some tiny activity showing when I depress power / volume -. It isn't very heartening activity: here is an example dmesg output (I run Linux, for what it's worth):

[219096.828936] usb 2-1.5: Product: NS Blank CODEX
[219096.828939] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: Freescale SemiConductor Inc
[219096.829920] generic-usb: probe of 0003:15A2:0052.0007 failed with error -22
[219097.177700] usb 2-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 14

... I did a Google search on that first line and it turned up hits for Amazon Kindles. Hmm. FreeScale is a Chinese company, and I'm only guessing this is reflecting the M92 and not something to do with my laptop.

Still completely frozen, though.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
chexmix
Zealot

Blast.

I should wait longer before I start to whine, I suppose, but ... I'm really starting to regret having bought this thing.

Electronics are so ... inscrutable ... to me at least. I recently spent $135 (US) on a Nexus 7-like thing. It has performed flawlessly and dependably, even surviving my installation of CyanogenMod. I have NO complaints with that device.

The M92 cost me 3x as much, or thereabouts, and ... this. It seems to now be a pricy paperweight. It responds to nothing.

I know there were people who questioned why I was making this purchase back in the autumn when I did it. I hereby invite you to taunt me with cries of "I told you so." Yes indeed, you did.

You takes your money and you takes a chance.

/G
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Try using different wall charger...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
And maybe also a different USB cable...

And also, if it really went to heaven, it should still be under the warranty... So, no real problem, except for the hassle of packing it and sending it somewhere...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
You could try to use an older firmware. I update the M92 without power supply, if your device is charged (it's very long the first time), it mustn't be a problem with the USB.

I don't know if it's useful, but you could watch this : Onyx Boox M92: not booting after update

Last edited by Randy11; 02-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
chexmix
Zealot

I will try some of these things when I get home; however, I admit I don't know how to put an older firmware on it when the unit is completely frozen.

EDIT: In the meantime, does anyone know whether I am better off in this case leaving the thing plugged in (ostensibly to charge) or unplugged (ostensibly to drain). It is plugged in currently.

Last edited by chexmix; 02-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that you could put the firmware on your SD card.

Even if your device froze when is running, the reset and the boot process : press the "OK" button, could permit to load the firmware.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I think that you could put the firmware on your SD card.

Even if your device froze when is running, the reset and the boot process : press the "OK" button, could permit to load the firmware.
I still don't understand. Sure, I can put the firmware on an SD card, but the M92 has had the same frozen screen for days now. I have tried to reset it, reboot it, get it to do anything -- nothing works. I've put SD cards in and taken them out again. No change.

UPDATE. Tried new cable. Different plug. Still nothing.

I am leaving it unplugged. I have no idea how long it might take to finally run out of juice. Maybe it IS out of juice (bum battery). No idea.

Does anyone know, is Booxtor taking a (well-deserved, seriously) vacation? I wrote the store but have only received the robo-reply so far.

Last edited by chexmix; 02-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #12
Randy11
Wizard

Do you say that the device can't start the update process ?

Don't wait an empty battery, shutdown the M92 : it could be dangerous for the battery if the soft can't manage it.
Or you can try to disconnect the battery, there is a big post from Booxtor that show how.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
chexmix
Zealot

Randy11 - the device doesn't do anything. I can't shut it down. I can't restart it. It does nothing. I don't know how to make that any more clear.

I guess I will start searching for that post by Booxtor.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard

I found the link : Disassembling of Onyx M92. It's simple.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
chexmix
Zealot

OK. Well, it does look pretty easy to take apart ... but will that void my warranty?

Still no word from Booxtor.