Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Activating T1 without registration?

I will be getting my T1 soon, and I am wondering whether it's possible to activate it without registering it with the Sony store.
I haven't seen Sony's TOS yet, but I'm pretty sure that I don't want to agree to it (and I'm absolutely sure that I don't want to spend a week analyzing their terms before I can make an educated decision on whether to agree to it or not...)

I (briefly) had a Kobo, and there it was possible to edit the database, and fill in some dummy email address, to have it work without registration, but I haven't found any instructions for the Sony so far.

(I don't care if I wouldn't be able to use the Sony store, if the reader isn't registered.)
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
You should do what everybody else does and ignore the TOS.. it's just there to cover Sony's ass...you can authorize your T1 with ADE but it is much easier to let the pc reader software do it for you, I only use the pc reader software to keep the firmware up to date and to authorize/reauthorize the reader but if you are comfortable with using ADE that is certainly an alternative
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
As far as I know you don't have to register it. I have never used my T1 with the Sony store. I just now turned the WiFi on, went to the store screen, it gives three options, sign into your Sony account, create an account, explore the store. I have never yet signed into my Sony account, though I do have one.

I *clean* all purchases and transfer to the T1 with Calibre.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Oh, wow, I didn't expect that.
That's another big plus for Sony, then — neither the Kobo nor the Nook I had could be used without registration.
And I'm pretty sure you won't even be allowed to look at the Kindle without signing your firstborn away...

Update: I just received my T1, and it's true—NO SIGNUP, NO TOS, just the hardware, and it's up to you how to use it!
I LOVE IT!!!
(Compare this to the 170 page TOS you have to agree to, before you can even start up the Nook.)

Last edited by Frescard; 09-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
It is definitely one of the things I like about the Sony readers, CHOICE! If you want to connect with their store you can, but you don't have to.

That and no ads, no annoying recommendations, just you and your books.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I don't think you're going to get very far borrowing library books if you don't register it. It needs to be registered to an Adobe account which gets done when you register it with Sony if I remember correctly.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Also, you can update the firmware without registering.

I haven't tried library books from the device. I just get them on my computer and load via Calibre. Of course I don't get the adobe books. But can't you authorize your device without a Sony account?

Last edited by booklover6; 09-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You should be able to register it in ADE itself as one of your 6 devices...but then I'm not sure you could get the library books directly to the reader with wireless under this scenario. Someone would have to test...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yes, if you're not heavily into library use, as booklover says, install Calibre on your PC/laptop - and life with a reader becomes sweetness & light ......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
My T1 went bonkers once and I was in the middle of reading a library book. I had to reset it and reauthorize it with both Sony & Adobe on the device. It still wouldn't let me read the book. I had to redownload it from the library then it was fine.

No, I don't believe you can authorize the device without a Sony account. That's part of the process of authorizing. Again, if I remember correctly. In order to authorize it you have to make the account which connects the device to Sony to authorize.

**edit

I should add that the other books were fine to read after reauthorizing but not the library books. I had to redownload it after I reauthorized it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
I fully support your idea Frescard questioning the practices of these corporations.
If you want even more freedom, e.g. by using your favorite reader application, have a look on how to "root" your device: PRST1 Rooting and Tweaks

You get an almost full featured Android! And no, no need to sign up with google
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Frescard
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ink View Post
I fully support your idea Frescard questioning the practices of these corporations.
If you want even more freedom, e.g. by using your favorite reader application, have a look on how to "root" your device: PRST1 Rooting and Tweaks
Well, I didn't quite see the need for rooting so far—I'm pretty happy with what I got; but I did install the modified reader, which got me everything I was missing: configurable page refreshes & font settings, as well as a clock.

So right now I can't really thing of anything else to make it more "perfect" (except perhaps an option to change pages via tap—but it seems nobody has figured out a way to implement that yet, so I'm sure I'll get used to the swipes).
Old 09-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I like vertical swipes for page turns. Up or Down changes turn direction.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
Oh, wow, I didn't expect that.
That's another big plus for Sony, then — neither the Kobo nor the Nook I had could be used without registration.
And I'm pretty sure you won't even be allowed to look at the Kindle without signing your firstborn away...
A bit OT, but just for the record. The Kindle works quite well without any kind of registration (with the exception that for some bizzare, innexplicable reason, collections are disabled until you do.)

That said, Sony is by far the friendliess device in this regard. If only they had fixed the glitches in the T1 firmware without trying to force us a new T2 device in the market, which is basically a downgrade, in terms of hardware.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
redneck eyeball
redneck eyeball began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
I don't have a Sony account, nor have I activated anything.
I've just been using my T1 (and my T2) for reading books I've downloaded. There was no need for me to activate.
redneck eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote