Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Wicked by Gregory Maguire 8 10.53%
A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness 2 2.63%
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss 17 22.37%
Storm Front: Book one of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher 11 14.47%
A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin 16 21.05%
The Fairy Godmother (book 1 in Five Hundred Kingdoms series) by Mercedes Lackey 2 2.63%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu 2 2.63%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 10 13.16%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 6 7.89%
The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 1 by Michael Scott 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Welcome to the book club VFX, we hope you enjoy your time with us.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to the book club VFX, we hope you enjoy your time with us.

Thanks a lot. I just hope I can keep up with the pace of reading. I am generally an avid reader, but I am wrapping up my dissertation right now, so things might be hard for a couple of months - but I shall do my best!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

Thanks a lot. I just hope I can keep up with the pace of reading. I am generally an avid reader, but I am wrapping up my dissertation right now, so things might be hard for a couple of months - but I shall do my best!
Take your time..this is all for fun, and not everyone participates every month. Your education is definitely much more important! (Congratulations BTW, that takes a lot of hard work).

I'm an avid reader more in spirit and desire than in practice. As you can see by my counter I'm one of the slowest readers here...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I have a blind vote everytime. I read the summaries and vote without peeking at results or reading the discussion first.
I do too. I feel that if I look at the current voting results and vote accordingly then I am not making MY choice. I would in essence be 'giving my vote away.'

Last edited by Gronk; 06-29-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I do too. I feel that if I look at the current voting results and vote accordingly then I am not making MY choice. I would be in essence be 'giving my vote away.'
True. This was my first not-so-blind vote and I do feel a little of that, although I don't feel its completely lost. I also see that my stronger choice is trying to make its way up the chart. Oh well, live and learn.
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Go Game of Thrones! You can do it!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm up to a Feast for Crows and since I was first on the hold list at Overdrive, I decided to get started on the B&N sample. I was a little disconcerted to discover that what seemed to be an ample 114 pages in the sample translated to page 44 in the "real" ebook. And since a lot of that 114 pages is taken up with contents, blurbs and so forth, the reading sample itself was only a chapter plus a bit of the second. Just as an FYI.

Despite my reading of the GRRM opus (Curiosity's got me about what happens next; I don't think the books are well-written), I'm not especially into fantasy either. I voted for my own nomination, Wicked, which seems more my cuppa in the fantasy stakes. Since it's a non-starter, I'll probably be on the sidelines, although I could participate in a discussion of Game of Thrones.
I think I'll read Wicked no matter what wins. Fantasy isn't my cup of hemlock, but Wicked seems interesting. Plus, it's been made into a musical. Must be something to it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think I'll read Wicked no matter what wins. Fantasy isn't my cup of hemlock, but Wicked seems interesting. Plus, it's been made into a musical. Must be something to it.
I'm going to forge ahead with Wicked also. I've meant to read it for a long time and I should return my nephew's copy to him before he leaves for college this fall. I've had it for [mumble] years [/mumble].
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm going to forge ahead with Wicked also. I've meant to read it for a long time and I should return my nephew's copy to him before he leaves for college this fall. I've had it for [mumble] years [/mumble].
It's the book description in the first post that sells it for me. "[S]trange and imaginative postmodernist fable ... puckish humor and bracing pessimism in this fantastical meditation on good and evil, God and free will ... has both idealism and cynicism in its discussion of social, religious, educational, and political issues present in Oz, and, more pointedly, present in our day and time." Sounds interesting; a lot more so than straight out fantasy.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not really interested in reading Name of the Wind (just read it late last year) or Game of Thrones.

However, I might to a side/buddy read with some others on one of the other books here if there's any interest?

Quite happy with The Voyage of the Minotaur, The Winds of Khalakovo or even possibly Wicked.

It might be nice to do one of these with the author's involvement so I would probably lean towards The Voyage of the Minotaur.

So - anyone interested?

EDIT: Just voted for The Voyage of the Minotaur to reflect my above comment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I would be up for reading, and then discussing, Wicked also. The two leaders do not really interest me at all. It would have to be after I finish Rabbit Boss and Bleak House though.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #42
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Stardust is a great book, it is not epic in length, there are no sequels to deal with, and it is an unusual sort of fantasy world, sort of a dark place where witches cut out the hearts of stars and eat them and everyone is a bit darker than they might seem at first.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
It's the book description in the first post that sells it for me. "[S]trange and imaginative postmodernist fable ... puckish humor and bracing pessimism in this fantastical meditation on good and evil, God and free will ... has both idealism and cynicism in its discussion of social, religious, educational, and political issues present in Oz, and, more pointedly, present in our day and time." Sounds interesting; a lot more so than straight out fantasy.
And a fable based on an allegory, at that. The MGM movie has trumped the book in the public imagination, but The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was more than just a children's fantasy book, although obviously it works on that level. On a deeper level, it's a protracted allegory about populism and the political issues of the day. I've forgotten most of the symbolism, but the yellow brick road is a metaphor for the gold standard, and it's trampled by Dorothy's silver slippers; the populists were in favor of silver. The slippers were changed to ruby in the movie because it was so pretty in technicolor and it's worth remembering other significant changes in the movie, including the mandatory spectacles in the Emerald City and that it wasn't a dream.

I'd love a mini-discussion about Wicked. Let's talk dates--sometime while it's still summer, I hope.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict

Wicked: Do NOT read the spoiler if you have not read the book....seriously!
I was too "sensitive" for Wicked.
Spoiler:
I felt sympathy for the character in question and then realized where it was all going to end (which made me angry, because I was much happier seeing her through the kids version) so I stopped reading. Learning that the good was not so good tarnished it for me as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I would be up for reading, and then discussing, Wicked also. The two leaders do not really interest me at all. It would have to be after I finish Rabbit Boss and Bleak House though.
Quote:
And a fable based on an allegory, at that. The MGM movie has trumped the book in the public imagination, but The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was more than just a children's fantasy book, although obviously it works on that level. On a deeper level, it's a protracted allegory about populism and the political issues of the day. I've forgotten most of the symbolism, but the yellow brick road is a metaphor for the gold standard, and it's trampled by Dorothy's silver slippers; the populists were in favor of silver. The slippers were changed to ruby in the movie because it was so pretty in technicolor and it's worth remembering other significant changes in the movie, including the mandatory spectacles in the Emerald City and that it wasn't a dream.

I'd love a mini-discussion about Wicked. Let's talk dates--sometime while it's still summer, I hope.
How about August 1st? That would give us a month to read it, and The Wizard of Oz, too, if anyone wants to compare the versions.