Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Advice for two column layouts?

My dad has a HUGE collection of science fiction books/magazines from the 1950s that are starting to fall apart and will be going into the trash bin before too long. Just the thought makes me sad, so I'll be taking on the task of scanning his collection.

Almost all of the books use a two column format. What do I need to do to keep an OCR from just reading straight across column A to column B? I know that making PDFs is an option, but it would mean either making the image teeny-tiny to fit on my e-reader screen or paging back-and-forth to read the two columns... not something I really care to do.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I haven't used OCR for a while but the last time I used Omnipage it recognised the columns and even worked through tables. The software's pretty intelligent these days and considering that 19th April 2011 is the date that Skynet became self-aware and started a war with mankind in Terminator II I reckon by tonight you should be able to ask the software for an answer to your question.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I haven't used OCR for a while but the last time I used Omnipage it recognised the columns and even worked through tables. The software's pretty intelligent these days and considering that 19th April 2011 is the date that Skynet became self-aware and started a war with mankind in Terminator II I reckon by tonight you should be able to ask the software for an answer to your question.

Oh, my goodness! Thank you so much for such an awesome response. Seriously, you totally made my day

Sadly, Omnipage is a bit out of my current price range of... oh, let's see... zero dollars and zero cents. I'll have to look around for other options (or see if my dad is willing to pick up the tab).
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Also see WIKI at the top of the page and check out OCR for other options in your price range.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Split the scan in two images, one for each column, and proceed normally.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Maybe you can consider Finereader Pro 10 (http://finereader.abbyy.com/), It’s cheaper then Omnipage Pro 17 and will do what you need and much more

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote