Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
JStew
JStew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do I know which Kindle I have?

This sounds dumb, but I'm not sure if I have the Kindle or Kindle 2. How do I tell? I'm curious if anyone knows about the "new" Kindle that is due out after Christmas? Is that even correct?
I've had mine since last December. Any thoughts? I know my neighbor has a newer version so I'm thinking that is the Kindle 3.
Wisdom to share?
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Compare your serial number to the list here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Which one of these is it? K1 K2 K3 in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.jpg
Views:	2086
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	62624   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	62625   Click image for larger version

Name:	k3.jpg
Views:	2655
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	62626  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
This sounds dumb, but I'm not sure if I have the Kindle or Kindle 2. How do I tell? ... Wisdom to share?
Had you surfed to a website that has all the answers before posting here? Its URL is www.amazon.com and if you go there and search for "kindle" and "kindle 2" you might find some helpful hints.

So, in the spirit of camaraderie, that sounds like an odd, not a dumb, question. And, welcome aboard to MobileRead.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Had you surfed to a website that has all the answers before posting here? Its URL is www.amazon.com and if you go there and search for "kindle" and "kindle 2" you might find some helpful hints.

So, in the spirit of camaraderie, that sounds like an odd, not a dumb, question. And, welcome aboard to MobileRead.
Ever been new to something before and not known where to go to find the answers?

The OP probably heard we try to answer questions without being snarky or telling them to do some research before asking.

It took me less than two minutes to post my answer, I"m sure it took the duck less than one.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Wow that first kindle was ugggerly! That's a kindle only a museum could love.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You might want to add.........."in my opinion"

Many people did not find it 'ugly'.

It was comfortable to hold,.........and.......most important, it did the job and did it well.

I will say the K3 is much lighter and even more comfy!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
I wasn't lucky enough to have a Kindle 1. I had a Kindle 2 which I'll admit I found it a bit challenged in the looks department but I really loved it anyway. Sometimes looks aren't everything
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Not even them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You might want to add.........."in my opinion"

Many people did not find it 'ugly'.

It was comfortable to hold,.........and.......most important, it did the job and did it well.

I will say the K3 is much lighter and even more comfy!
Admit it DGM! It's ugly! And the only reason you hold on to it was because it did what it had to do! The K2 looked a tad better (still ugly though), but the K3 is nice looking device.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Admit it DGM! It's ugly! And the only reason you hold on to it was because it did what it had to do! The K2 looked a tad better (still ugly though), but the K3 is nice looking device.
No, you weed in my garden of life!!

I held on to it because there was nothing better out there, it wasn't "ugly"!

It had an sd card, a replaceable battery, and was just plain sweeet.

The k2 had no appeal to me.......the K3, however, I jumped on.........I found out how to change the battery myself, if ever needed, and with its increased capacity to hold books, even I was satisfied.

"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder.......
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I love my K1. Tavi is still used when we go to the beach or other places I am worried about damage to the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I love my K1 and will always own it. It still has the best "hand" feel to me because of the wedge shape. That may be why I can't use a reader without a fold back (or over) cover. The thinness of most readers is uncomfortable to me when they are "naked".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I love my K1. Tavi is still used when we go to the beach or other places I am worried about damage to the Kindle.
Do you put it in a one gallon baggie? I hear that works beautifully to keep sand and water out.....
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have a water proof bag from one of the stores, I can't remember which one off the top of my head. It has a double seal and then a cover on the seals. It works quite nicely.

I think the company is Trendy Digital
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I love my K1 and will always own it. It still has the best "hand" feel to me because of the wedge shape. That may be why I can't use a reader without a fold back (or over) cover. The thinness of most readers is uncomfortable to me when they are "naked".
Me too. It was my "first" and they say you never forget "the first"....