Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
golfwombel
golfwombel began at the beginning.

Device: win11 - calibre 16.0
metadata "author" and sorting problems with the tolino

at first - my english is not the best but I will hope you understand what I mean.

baseline: pc win11 - calibre 6.10 - Tolino vision6 software 16.0.0

I have different books, written by more than one author.

In the calibre metadata there is a field called "author(s)" which is filled with the names for example "Hjorth, Michael & Rosenfeldt, Hans" and exactly like the specification of the publisher and written in order on the title of the book. and the metadata is embedded into the book-metadata (attached picture).

If I sort the list of books with calibre, it will appear with the character "H" - "Hjorth, Michael". And this is what I want, because it is the right order.

If I send this book via usb to the tolino reader, the same book with the same metadata will appear with the character "R" - "Rosenfeldt, Hans". And this is not what I want.

Maybe there is a problem with the display of the metadata in the html-format, because if you look to the picture you will see the tag "creator" twice. and therefore mybe the Tolino-system takes the second entry for sorting. But in my opinion this is not correct.

what can I do to get the same alphabetic sorting with my ebook-reader which I have with the pc and calibre.

Thanks for the solution or any idea to find a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadaten.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	198625  
golfwombel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Does the Tolino use the file name (as sent) or metadata?

If the Metadata, use the preferences: metadata plug board to swap {author_sort}->{authors} in the sent copy
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If the Metadata, use the preferences: metadata plug board to swap {author_sort}->{authors} in the sent copy
Or use the plugboard to send only the first author to the device, removing the possibility of the tolino choosing the wrong one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Or use the plugboard to send only the first author to the device, removing the possibility of the tolino choosing the wrong one.
Charles, Is there a reason the Metadata plugboard (icon) is not available on the toolbar (or send to device context/options menu)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Charles, Is there a reason the Metadata plugboard (icon) is not available on the toolbar (or send to device context/options menu)?
Never thought it was needed. It is easily discoverable and set and forget. If we start down this route then why this preference and not that one?
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Never thought it was needed. It is easily discoverable and set and forget. If we start down this route then why this preference and not that one?
Right-click menu on the Preferences button for quick access to specific areas? This would also expose them for the Favourites menu.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Right-click menu on the Preferences button for quick access to specific areas? This would also expose them for the Favourites menu.
Unfortunately that changes a lot. The "exposed areas" would need to be calibre "actions", which currently they aren't. Alternative equally painful: create actions that can invoke the preferences. Both would be a lot of work, not worth my time (development and maintenance) for what I consider to be minimal benefit. Someone else might feel differently, in which case have at it.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
yeah, that makes sense. What exactly does right-clicking on the buttons on the statusbar do? As they directly open the related look & feel settings I thought that could've been reused.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
yeah, that makes sense. What exactly does right-clicking on the buttons on the statusbar do? As they directly open the related look & feel settings I thought that could've been reused.
Now I've just found that right-clicking the "Hide Search Bar" icon on status bar opens up the Searching Preferences dialog, whereas right-clicking other icons (Cover Browser, Tag Browser) opens up directly the Look and Feel dialog, lol.

Which gets somewhat close to this suggestion we started discussing here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350595
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:14 AM   #10
golfwombel

@theducks and @chaley
- when I look to the file "books" on the tolino (with the explorer) there all is sortet in the same way like on the computer itself
- when I open the tolino and look to the library this is sortet (as far as I understand) by the metadata. I can select between "sortet by title" and "sortet by author" and in the overview there is shown only one of the two names - in my case the wrong one.
- in my calibre library (and it is a big one) all metadata for all books are in the same form. when I startet a few years ago I decided for myself to have the same profile for the fields "author" and "author sorting" that means both fields are the same, i.e. "Grisham, John"
- in my opinion it is no way to change or modify the field "author" every time I want to sent a book to the tolino.
- I suspect it is a general problem in the tolino software which will read the html-data not in the right way (and it is not a calibre problem, because there all is ok).
Old 01-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwombel View Post
@theducks and @chaley
[...]
- in my calibre library (and it is a big one) all metadata for all books are in the same form. when I startet a few years ago I decided for myself to have the same profile for the fields "author" and "author sorting" that means both fields are the same, i.e. "Grisham, John"
- in my opinion it is no way to change or modify the field "author" every time I want to sent a book to the tolino.
Yes you can change the author field when you send a book to a device. See Preferences / Metadata plugboards. Pick the format you want (EPUB?) and the device (Tolino?).

If you want only the first author in First-name Last-name format then use this template with the destination field "Authors"
Code:
{authors:'swap_around_comma(list_item($, 0, '&'))'}
For example, if the authors are
Code:
Public, John & Blogs, Joe
this template will return
Code:
John Public
Old 01-07-2023, 07:18 AM   #12
golfwombel

ok - many thanks - I will try it. but you understand, it is not the real solution of the problem.
in the meantime I´ve sent my question to the tolino-service. hope to get an answer, and if they have an idea or even a solution, I will post it in here.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:41 AM   #13
golfwombel

I was still looking on for a solution - but in the moment there is non.
I found out it depends on the epub-system for the metadata. more than 25 years ago they have decided to standarise the metadatas based on the "Dublin Core"-system and there the field for the author is only one !! field like this for the title. they doesn´t differentiate between first name and surname, between one or two or more authors and so on.
finally that means -> if a book has more than one author and his name is more than John Grisham (i.e. "Dr. med. Peter R. Wellington & James A. Fulham") you always will have problems until they modify the "Dublin Core"-system worldwide. when and if this will happen - nobody knows.
and this also means, the softeware of ebook-readers have to be coded at least like the calibre-software to show the same in the library like it is written on the originally book. in my case that means, there is a problem with the tolino-software in displaying the metadata in a correct way.
thanks to everybody for looking to a solution.

Tags
calibre, order of sorting, tolino