Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #106
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I read a rumor on a couple of tech sites today that the next Iphone will no longr have a charging port. It'll use wireless charging only. Life gets stranger and stranger.
That'll be the $1000 phones.

The iPhone SE2/9 will most likely be just new chipset and eSIM (maybe extra LTE bands) on a 5-year old design with comfortably sized bezels and TouchID. If this model gets A13 as rumors suggest, it'll continue to be supported for 4-5 years so enough time to consider options. I'll be getting monthly AppleCare+ if it does materialize as I expect I'll be using it for a long time.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I read a rumor on a couple of tech sites today that the next Iphone will no longr have a charging port. It'll use wireless charging only. Life gets stranger and stranger.

I wonder if they'll really do that.

Barry
That's the dumbest thing Apple could do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #108
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My 1st cell phone had a replaceable battery, and my 2nd doesn't. I only replaced the battery in the 1st one once. The speaker in it started to go bad sometime after that. I think we're just so used to being able to take a battery out and slap a new one in on so many things that we think everything aught to have that capability. Part of it is our throwaway society and part of it is probably planned obsolescence as well. By time we get a new device it's likely already obsolete.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #109
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's the dumbest thing Apple could do.
I don't know about that. The Apple Watch is wireless charging only. I use a mophie charging case for my iPhone and over the past 6 months, I've only used the wireless charging to charge it. It has a micro USB, but it's easy just to put the thing on the charging stand rather than fiddle with the wires. However, I seriously doubt that Apple is going to go wireless charging only until they come out with their long awaited wireless charger and get all the bugs worked out. There is a reason it's over a year late.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #110
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I see corded charging going away as tech advances. It seems inevitable to me.

I love that I don't have to dink with plugging in a cord on my Apple Watch.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 12-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #111
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

In a discussion on one tech site about Apple's apparent change, there was much talk of how VERY inefficient wireless charging is compared to wired,
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #112
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
In a discussion on one tech site about Apple's apparent change, there was much talk of how VERY inefficient wireless charging is compared to wired,
But that will improve over time I'd think. Remember how wonky home WiFi was in its early days?
Old 12-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #113
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I can see Apple doing this...but I hope not. I don’t want to have to by Qi charging discs to keep everywhere like I have chords
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #114
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Although I like wireless charging, I just don't see it as very practical for a while (wireless charging only). Just about everywhere I go I see charging ports for people on the go; a small cable is much easier to carry around than a wireless charger.

And what about wired headphones?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #115
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

My wife has Psoriatic Arthritis and wireless charging is easier for her.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #116
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Although I like wireless charging, I just don't see it as very practical for a while (wireless charging only). Just about everywhere I go I see charging ports for people on the go; a small cable is much easier to carry around than a wireless charger.

And what about wired headphones?
Malwarebytes just sent out an email warning that charging ports can be used to hack phones and tablets. Personally I always use a wall socket when traveling.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #117
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife has Psoriatic Arthritis and wireless charging is easier for her.
Apache
At least the lightening connectors on iDevices and usb c can be plugged in either side up. Micro USB ports are very frustrating, and those of us of a certain age can find them tough to deal with. Especially in dim light, and hands that don't work like they used to.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #118
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
But that will improve over time I'd think. Remember how wonky home WiFi was in its early days?

I have nothing against wireless charging, but as an option, not the ONLY method available. There's a huge gap between the 50-70% efficiency of wireless chargers and the 90%+ of wired. And since the Apple rumour relates to a device coming out very soon, "it will get better one day" is not much help. There's another problem too, one more relevant I suspect to many people.

From an article about the new development:

"There are other logistical concerns, too. How will users of these new cordless phones charge their devices while out and about? Topping up your phone should be fine when you're at a desk, but what if you're stood on a packed bus, or train? Wireless chargers require your phone remain connected to a single flat contact point, which isn't helpful if you're in motion" (end quote)

How many people charge their devices on the move? The answer, I suspect, is A LOT. Like, A LOT A LOT.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #119
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When I was using a Nexus 5 with wireless charging I almost never plugged it in. I did have that option, of course.

In addition to a couple of cheap wireless charging stations (about $10 each as I recall) I had a battery with wireless charging capability. I think that cost about $30. So I was able to charge on the go as easily as I could if it didn't have wireless charging. I'm retired so I didn't use that a lot. I'm home most of the time. But it worked well the times that I did use it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #120
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I wonder if they'll really do that.
One site had rumours that several Chinese phone manufacturers are going to be going wireless only on their top end handsets. Bluetooth connection to earphones, speakers, motor vehicles, etc. and wireless charging. It also mentioned the devices will be water and dust proof.

I might finally make use of the wireless charging in my car.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote