Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #91
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Planned obsolescence.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #92
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Unicorns are real
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #93
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Yes, I am aware of that history (except I would comment that denying battery replacements as you claim they did would be counter to consumer protection legislation in many countries, my own included), that is why I checked some of their other repair costs and noted in my post that they did not seem out of line either with those for other phones.

I would also comment that it is not unusual for other devices to throttle CPU, etc. when battery health is diminished. But they do not suffer from chattering hate campaigns because they do not have a leading market position, a position that for some device types generally precipitates such campaigns.
Apple will only replace batteries once it reaches below 80% health per their diagnostics.

Problem is the performance on these devices were being *permanently* throttled to half of normal speed while Apple Store Geniuses claim that the battery is still healthy. Apple was denying battery replacement for in-warranty devices even when the customer offers to pay for the battery replacement to in order to restore performance.

If iOS thinks the device's battery is degraded enough to activate permanent throttling, why would Apple's warranty diagnostics still report the battery as healthy? Plus the Apple Store Managers and Geniuses were denying that the devices were being throttled.

There are a lot of "gates" that I think were frivolous (e.g. bend-gate) and I tend to when I see discussions on planned obsolescence. With battery-gate, I believe customers had legitimate complaints with how the issue was handled prior to being made public.

Our household has a ton of Apple devices and we're generally pretty happy with them. I'm not gonna claim that Apple's perfect, though.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-10-2019 at 01:25 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
FWIW - I would like user replaceable batteries, memory expansion slots, and many other features my beloved iPhones don't have. I wish I could expand internal memory later, after purchase (especially on Macs). I wish I could load apps that Apple doesn't approve of....accepting the risk myself. I wish I could completely take control of my iPhone and iPad...with root access or even install a different OS.

I'm not unsympathetic to many of the complaints about the choices Apple makes. But i am far more pleased than annoyed. I love my mac, ipad, iphone, Airpod, Homepod, AppleMusic, iTunes, AppleTv, iMessage and Facetime lovely manicured garden.
Speaking of taking control, I would love to go back to iOS 12. I find iOS 13 awful and it kills the battery big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #95
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, Readers have replaceable batteries just like smartphones. Meaning they don't. The only difference is that I can take my iPhone in to get the battery changed. I've had my iPhone battery replaced once.

When my H2O eventually needs a new battery, I'll buy a new Reader as it will be time to get one. It's 5 years old and doing well still.
Actually kindles batteries can be replaced, not easily just like the iphone battery is not easy to replace. UbreakIfix shops can probably do it but there are tons of videos on how. The trick is getting the cover off but they usually include the tool with the battery.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #96
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I bought a spare battery for my Samsung Galaxy S5 not long ago. I think I paid $10 on Amazon.

My sister had her Iphone battery replaced last year and I think it was $70. So batteries on a phone where the back pops off are 1/7th the cost of the ones you have to send in. I'd accept a little extra thickness for that.

By the way, my Galaxy S5 is waterproof so it can be done either way.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #97
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You realize the Galaxy S11 will be released not long from now. Samsung too dropped user replaceable batteries years ago on its flagship phones.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #98
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You realize the Galaxy S11 will be released not long from now. Samsung too dropped user replaceable batteries years ago on its flagship phones.
Sure, but $10 shows that $70 is not inexpensive.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #99
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I've gotten two replacement batteries this year. I find that there is no need to install them at all, I just get the vendor to install a new phone around them. Surprisingly they don't charge any installation fee at all for installing a new phone around a replacement battery and no charge at all on the invoice for the battery, so it's free. Whereas people (especially some Apple users) are always complaining that they get charged too much to have a replacement battery installed into an old phone.

In April I drowned my battery in the sea, it was a nice battery but the phone that was installed around it was a bit so-so. I got a battery to replace the drowned one and the vendor very kindly installed a new phone around it for me, no charge on the invoice for the battery.

Then in October I gave that battery away (it was a very nice battery, I just wanted to try a different battery and after all batteries are free). So I got my second replacement battery this year and the vendor again very kindly installed a new phone around it with no charge on the invoice for the battery, so free again. That free battery is going very nicely too thank you.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-10-2019 at 10:19 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #100
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sure, but $10 shows that $70 is not inexpensive.
Yep. All one need do is keep a 6 yr old phone.

And if you like buttons on a phone....
Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #101
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I actually do.

Hoping the rumors of a TouchID iPhone SE2/9 pan out so I can replace my iPhone 7. Battery's shot on that one and I'd really like having a dual SIM iPhone for travel.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #102
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Yep. All one need do is keep a 6 yr old phone.

I like my seven year old Note 2 just fine thank you very much. It still plays my music, it still opens my books, and I make an occasional phone call/text every now and then.

So long as it does what I need it to do year after year, why should I buy a new phone?

I have never been one to be constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest. Now when/if my phone dies, then and only then will I upgrade.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #103
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I like my seven year old Note 2 just fine thank you very much. It still plays my music, it still opens my books, and I make an occasional phone call/text every now and then.

So long as it does what I need it to do year after year, why should I buy a new phone?

I have never been one to be constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest. Now when/if my phone dies, then and only then will I upgrade.
That's a very reasonable course of action. However, if you want to talk about "why devices don't have replaceable batteries when yours does"....it must be understood that even "your" device has been sealed for years now.

I no longer upgrade my phone. I upgrade my camera...which happens to come with a phone.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #104
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I actually do.

Hoping the rumors of a TouchID iPhone SE2/9 pan out so I can replace my iPhone 7. Battery's shot on that one and I'd really like having a dual SIM iPhone for travel.
Likewise. I’m looking forward to seeing whether the SE2 will be real or vaporware... hopeful. My iP7 battery is still OK but I wouldnt mind a bit of an upgrade.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #105
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I actually do.

I read a rumor on a couple of tech sites today that the next Iphone will no longr have a charging port. It'll use wireless charging only. Life gets stranger and stranger.

I wonder if they'll really do that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote