Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #91
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Something is wrong with the battery.

Left in sleep mode last night, not sure of the battery percentage. 80%+ that's for sure. Turn it on this morning, or attempt too, and the battery is dead. I going to charge to 100%, then monitor the drain during the day without using it.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #92
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Mmm. Plugged the Aura One in and battery percentage has risen from 2% to 30% is twenty minutes. That seems too fast to me.
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #93
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
Mine just arrived .
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #94
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
That's troubling! I hope the problem solves itself after a few cycles.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:04 AM   #95
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
Something is wrong with the battery.

Left in sleep mode last night, not sure of the battery percentage. 80%+ that's for sure. Turn it on this morning, or attempt too, and the battery is dead. I going to charge to 100%, then monitor the drain during the day without using it.
Did you turn off the wifi and disable the automatic sync before you left it in sleep mode?

Last edited by oren64; 09-01-2016 at 05:21 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 05:07 AM   #96
pagepack
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Did you turn off the wifi and disable the automatic sync?
Yes. Even if wifi was on, would it still be active in sleep mode?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:11 AM   #97
pagepack
Zealot

Charged to 82%, going out so Ive unplugged it and left it in sleep mode. Will check on the battery in a couple of hours.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #98
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
I remember seeing some weird stuff with the battery when I first got my H20, everything turned fine after a while. I'll see how my AuraOne behaves on that regard.

A few notes:
- couldn't bypass registration, db seems to have extra fields and inputing random strings did not fool the device. I had to make a kobo account, it was a little annoying.
- screen is very nice, lots of space once fullscreen reading is enabled.
- i'll definitely get the cover to protect it, i'm scared of putting the thing in my bag.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #99
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barsanuphe View Post
I remember seeing some weird stuff with the battery when I first got my H20, everything turned fine after a while. I'll see how my AuraOne behaves on that regard.
First: It's H2O, not H20.

Second, I always have had that problem with new devices. The first few cycles are always completely wrong
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #100
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Went out with the One battery at 100%, no Wi-Fi, no automatic sync, upped the light to 55%, read 5' in the metro out, 10' in the waiting room, 5 ' in the metro back: the battery is at 90%...
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
Yes. Even if wifi was on, would it still be active in sleep mode?
No the WiFi will not be active when the device is sleeping. But, there is an option for an automatic daily sync. This will wake the device, do the sync and go back to sleep. It shouldn't use much battery power, but if there is a lot to sync, or there are network problems, it can use more than expected.

Turning off the WiFi is more about saving power when the device is running. The WiFi will disconnect when not in use and hence not use much power, but the device does connect at various times. For example, if you open a purchase kepub, it checks to see if the device has the current reading status. If you close the same book, it will send the reading status to the server. This done silently. If you WiFi is off, then it doesn't prompt. If the device cannot find a known network, again, it doesn't prompt.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #102
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
First: It's H2O, not H20.

Second, I always have had that problem with new devices. The first few cycles are always completely wrong
I'm sure you need a couple of full discharge/charge cycles to calibrate the battery meter.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #103
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question Sync... cancel

@davidfor,

Yesterday I tried to cancel the books Kobo proposed for download (all books I bought more or less long ago, but took care to cancel on the kobo site to avoid precisely this problem), at a time when I had the Wi-Fi on (for initialisation and dictionary downloading), and I noticed the Wi-Fi going on and on, so I turned off the Wi-Fi.

Since then when I call the three dots top right of the home screen, I see that the Wi-Fi is indeed disabled, but the Sync line says Sync... Annuler (that is cancel in Frech). Could that be pulling on the battery?

I don't understand why it should, but I don't understand either why it would deplete so quickly: while I typed this message, 9' now from my preceding message here, it went from 90% to 88%.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #104
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Protip: don't plug in your device as soon as you get it, let the battery run down, then charge it. My engineer friend told me its much healthier. Something about dormant electrons.

And according to Canada Post, my shipment doesn't even exist. Woe is me.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #105
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
@davidfor,

Yesterday I tried to cancel the books Kobo proposed for download (all books I bought more or less long ago, but took care to cancel on the kobo site to avoid precisely this problem), at a time when I had the Wi-Fi on (for initialisation and dictionary downloading), and I noticed the Wi-Fi going on and on, so I turned off the Wi-Fi.

Since then when I call the three dots top right of the home screen, I see that the Wi-Fi is indeed disabled, but the Sync line says Sync... Annuler (that is cancel in Frech). Could that be pulling on the battery?

I don't understand why it should, but I don't understand either why it would deplete so quickly: while I typed this message, 9' now from my preceding message here, it went from 90% to 88%.
My guess is that the incomplete sync is what is using the battery. What I think is that when you turned the WiFi off, the process that is doing the sync probably didn't stop properly. It's sitting in the background using CPU doing nothing useful. That's a bug in the firmware, hopefully it won't be in the final release.

The workaround is to restart the device. This will stop any rogue processes and start everything fresh. And if WiFi is off, the sync won't start.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote