Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
igorsk has a definitive answer on the memory size (from this thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
The total size of installed flash memory is 128MB. The size of the user's data partition is 91.875MB.
Seeing as it's igorsk, it's good enough for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #32
digicatz
digicatz began at the beginning.

Device: considering the Sony model for the $299, with $150 worth of ebooks +
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduj View Post
I read the matrix comparison post that you have made available. I'm wondering is there anyway to anticipate the quality i.e. the longevity of these second generation ebook readers? I have a ebookman 911 and it is starting to breakdown and I don't think I can get it fixed. Do you think one manufacture-Sony,Jinke, Dutch- is more reliable than the other two? It's my experience that if things go wrong with the hardware they don't repair it, they replace it. What kind of warranty is coming with these new units. TIA EDUJ
I noticed on the Sony page, service plans much like the apple service plans.
1 yr $ 69 or 79 , then progressively more up to 4 yrs. It may have been $39ish for one year now that I think about it. These included accidental damage.
Between that and the online offers of $150 in ebooks and another $50 in classics
(unfortunately ends today... has to be registered by 07/31/2007) would make the Sony a real contender as price after all ebooks is $100. But there is also the chase credit card deal if you can find the right offer page and get in. Thats $50 but you need to get approved, get the card, then register on the Sony rewards site, and $299 will be billed to card, and 8 weeks later credited back.

digicatz
digicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #33
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Yes, I'm being picky, but if you have to convert a file from RTF or TXT to some other format to make it readable, than it is dishonest to say that the Sony Reader "supports" RTF or TXT. Supports should mean, to my ornery self, you can load an RTF or TXT file right on the thing and it will work.
:
You do load the file directly to the reader and it works. The software may do a conversion as part of the downloading to the reader but you don't notice any coversion taking place and it doesn't take any time.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
I think this is the kind of things that manufacturers should be taken to task for.

Yes, I'm being picky, but if you have to convert a file from RTF or TXT to some other format to make it readable, than it is dishonest to say that the Sony Reader "supports" RTF or TXT. Supports should mean, to my ornery self, you can load an RTF or TXT file right on the thing and it will work.

I wish the marketing literature did a better job of differentiating what formats are supported natively (without conversion) and which ones are supported via conversion. This is why I am still confused about whether or not PDF is natively supported, because the blurbs on the Sony website suggest it both ways.

Mostly, I'm just tired of converting stuff.
The Sony Reader will read RTF and TXT directly. It always has. We just suggest converting to LRF because you can have a better format in most cases. When you read RTF, links and graphics do not work and if the font size is too small, it won't show very well. Text is just text and if the line ends are a mess or the paragraphs are a mess then it's just a messy read. So yes, the literature saying the Reader supports RTF and TXT is 100% correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #35
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicatz View Post
I noticed on the Sony page, service plans much like the apple service plans.
1 yr $ 69 or 79 , then progressively more up to 4 yrs. It may have been $39ish for one year now that I think about it.
digicatz
That's ok if you're a US resident but for the rest of us Sony wont even sell the reader to us. We have to go to a third party retailer in the US to buy them so don't get the chance to buy into the service plan.
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 03:11 AM   #36
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
hm.... from what I can tell, on that wiki comparison matrix page, under "hanlin v2" is shows a picture of the "hanlin v8." The specs that are in that column, what are they actually from?
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #37
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
hm.... from what I can tell, on that wiki comparison matrix page, under "hanlin v2" is shows a picture of the "hanlin v8." The specs that are in that column, what are they actually from?
The picture is actually depicting a v2, at least according to Jinke's homepage. But then, it seems they brought out a new v2 device, the v2b, which does look indeed different, while the v8 looks now like the v2 from our Matrix. Quite confusing indeed. I'll contact them -- maybe they can shed some light into this.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #38
leewoc
leewoc began at the beginning.

Device: XDA exec
Question What to pick????

I'm looking to take the plunge and purchase an e-book reading device.

I already know I want an e-ink based device but after that I'm a bit stuck.

I've got down to 2 possibles I think, the iRex iLiad and the Bookeen CyBook V3.

Which device will give me the best range of reading material? What's the difference between e-ink and e-ink vizplex?

Am I even considering the right two devices?

I really need an ebook soon before my paper book habit gets me thrown out of the house!

Thanks in advance.

Chris
leewoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #39
gingercat
Connoisseur

I'm hoping long term the irex will have a larger range of software developed for it as they're trying to make it more developer friendly. If anyone comes up with a version of the sony reader software ported to the iliad it will nearly be the perfect reader (shame about the price tho)
Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #40
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewoc View Post
I've got down to 2 possibles I think, the iRex iLiad and the Bookeen CyBook V3.

Which device will give me the best range of reading material? What's the difference between e-ink and e-ink vizplex?
Since you are outside the US, the Cybook is probably your best bet for a device with a 6" screen.

Vizplex is the newest E-Ink screen. Its primary improvement is faster page turn speed. The iLiad uses the previous generation of E-Ink, but its custom controller, larger size and 16 grey scales still gives it the edge in everything except the time required to go to a new page. It is significantly more expensive though.

Both the iLiad and the Cybook use MobiPocket Reader software, so there is little practical difference in available e-books. MOBI is the only "secure", DRM-ridden, format supported on these devices - but it is one of the most popular. The iLiad also has FBReader, which will read many (DRM-free) reflowable e-book formats. However, it is typically possible to convert a non-secure e-book to the MOBI format on a desktop computer. So MOBI support is enough (and Cybook will support more formats natively over time).

Standard A4 PDFs are readable on the iLiad, less so (even after optimization) on the Cybook. Note that neither one will read Secure Adobe e-books (Secure PDFs).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #41
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
The E-book Reader Matrix mentions that the Cybook Gen3 supports the "OEB-XHTML" format. I could not find any confirmation of that on the official site or anywhere else...

Could you clarify where you got that information from?

Thanks,
Julien
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #42
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Do any readers support TXT files compressed with RAR or ZIP?
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja View Post
Yes, I believe the Hanlin units support this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja View Post
FBReader is available for the iLiad and supports tar, zip, gzip and bzip2 archives. RAR is not supported, because there is no open source implementation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #45
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Unrar IS open source.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote