Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Cpt.Jack
Cpt.Jack began at the beginning.

Device: none
Waterproof e-ink reader

Hey there everyone,
so I’m obviously looking for a new e-reader.
My Kindle Touch, which has been with me for about 6 years, died of water damage. At least the display did and now I can’t unlock it.

My reading habits are probably a bit on the unusual side:
  • Reading for hours on end, sometimes the whole day (even while eating)
  • Reading while walking anywhere (snow, rain, sun, dark)
  • On the Touch I didn’t use a cover only for transport I had it wrapped in a washcloth
  • On the Touch I didn’t use a cover only for transport I had it wrapped in a washcloth

Features I'd like to have or must have:
  • Waterproof (for obvious reasons, as well as reading in the rain or on the beach)
  • Being portable (somewhere around the size of the Touch would be awesome since it fit the back or front pockets of some of my pants)
  • Being able to sideload ebooks through calibre
  • Being comfortable to hold for long periods
  • Some kind of back light
  • E-ink screen

I don’t really care about the price since I had the Touch for so long and I will probably only upgrade, if a color e-ink reader should become available or some other mayor development happens. I would actually like to do some hands-on testing but since I’m in Germany there is no easy way to get my hands on most of the devices without ordering them online.

The ones I’m considering at the moment are:
- Kindle Oasis (+ nice design maybe, + buttons, - aluminium is probable not very nice to the hand without a case)
- Kobo H2O2 (+ nice backside is probably good for holding over a long time, + smaller size, + epub)
But i'm always open to new suggestions.
Cpt.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Pretty much any waterproof ereader should be okay for you, or almost at least. The only thing is that waterproof e-readers are rare and hard to obtain.

Kobo offers H2O and Aura One. The latter is most easily obtainable currently, but it's big and needs a hyperexpensive cover for protection. The H2O comes in two editions, the older of which has a microSD slot.

Pocketbook offers Aqua 2. All is great with it, except the screen is comparatively worse than on Kobo H2O and there's no microSD slot.

And Tolino Vision 4 HD is also waterproof. No microSD.

A longer list https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...tly-available/
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Jack View Post
- Kobo H2O2 (+ nice backside is probably good for holding over a long time, + smaller size, + epub)
The last time I appreciated a nice backside, my wife gave me such a smack!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Adding to Mobama's response, there is also the Tolino epos and the Kindle Oasis 2.

I would disagree that the Aura One requires a hyperexpensive cover. I am using the Kobo cover which is a touch pricey but at the time, no aftermarket covers were available. I would agree that any ereader needs a cover.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I have both a Kobo H2O and a Kindle Oasis 2, and for a heavy reader, I recommend the Kobo.

If I'm reading a lot, the battery on the Oasis might not last two days, whereas the Kobo just sips at its battery and I can get 4 days of heavy reading in.

The Kobo is also less slippery in the hand, which would be a consideration for you.

The Oasis does have some pluses, but I'm just addressing your concerns.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #6
Cpt.Jack
Cpt.Jack began at the beginning.

Device: none
thank you all for the fast answers.

@Strether: thanks that helped me a lot, but now I'm curious what are the advantages of the Oasis
Cpt.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
thank you all for the fast answers.

@Strether: thanks that helped me a lot, but now I'm curious what are the advantages of the Oasis
Smaller size, making it more portable than the Aura One. Page turn buttons. Amazon's software has some plusses (and some minuses) compared to Kobo software. On the plus side, Amazon has a better dictionary, X-ray is pretty nice and it is less buggy than Kobo can be.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
The H2O is thinner, but taller than the Oasis2. But the Oasis is much more responsive than the H2O. The operation of the page buttons is very smooth and the screen is very responsive. I find it easier to get around your library on the Kindle.

I'm not sure how either of them would operate if you were walking in the rain, as far as responsiveness is concerned. They both might be OK, but I'm not sure.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The wireless delivery options that Kindle offers make it better imo. Whether it's a book I already own on Amazon's servers, or a book I have downloaded from another source, sending it wirelessly makes it very easy.

Reading on my Kobo was fine, but having to connect to my computer when I wanted to add books was a pain. It added another couple of steps that made it less satisfactory for me.

Amazon is my primary source for books also.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I'm not sure how either of them would operate if you were walking in the rain, as far as responsiveness is concerned. They both might be OK, but I'm not sure.
A consideration might be the touchscreen that can be disabled on the Oasis2. Other than visibility raindrops won't effect operation with disabled touchscreen, plus wiping off water / dirt can be done anytime while reading without unwanted touches.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Hey there everyone,
so I’m obviously looking for a new e-reader.
My Kindle Touch, which has been with me for about 6 years, died of water damage. At least the display did and now I can’t unlock it.

My reading habits are probably a bit on the unusual side:

Features I'd like to have or must have:
  • Waterproof (for obvious reasons, as well as reading in the rain or on the beach)
  • Being portable (somewhere around the size of the Touch would be awesome since it fit the back or front pockets of some of my pants)
  • Being able to sideload ebooks through calibre
  • Being comfortable to hold for long periods
  • Some kind of back light
  • E-ink screen

I don’t really care about the price since I had the Touch for so long and I will probably only upgrade, if a color e-ink reader should become available or some other mayor development happens. I would actually like to do some hands-on testing but since I’m in Germany there is no easy way to get my hands on most of the devices without ordering them online.

The ones I’m considering at the moment are:
- Kindle Oasis (+ nice design maybe, + buttons, - aluminium is probable not very nice to the hand without a case).
But i'm always open to new suggestions.
Here's a YouTube link of folks reading/writing while walking.
https://youtu.be/aHkVZ-4n_DY
I was quite young when my mother told me to get out of the rain.
My experiences with beaches is that they're dry and sandy. My sister likes to read in a swimming pool, not by a swimming pool, and in the bathtub. She uses a waterproof case on those occasions.

No e-ink device has a backlight. Those are for the brilliant LCD screens that you can't read on the beach. E-ink devices are lighted from the front.

My Kindle of choice is the Paperwhite. In it's Amazon case it still fits in my front pants pocket or a bottom pocket on my Guayabera shirt. I can't imagine carrying an e-ink reader or a phone in a hip pocket. I know people who have sat on their phones or had it disappear either by accident or theft.

The Oasis, without a case, doesn't fit in any of my pockets. And, I can buy two Paperwhites for the cost of one Oasis.

My Paperwhite in it's case is easier to hold than a paperback book.

I don't sideload books but many do.

Enjoy reading.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The wireless delivery options that Kindle offers make it better imo. Whether it's a book I already own on Amazon's servers, or a book I have downloaded from another source, sending it wirelessly makes it very easy.
Oddly, I can purchase books on my Kobo from the Kobo store and have them wirelessly delivered to my ereader. For sideloaded content, I use calibre's server component. The same on my Tolino save for the ability to save sideloaded ebooks to the Tolino cloud. Where exactly does an Amazon ereader have a significant advantage here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Reading on my Kobo was fine, but having to connect to my computer when I wanted to add books was a pain. It added another couple of steps that made it less satisfactory for me.

Amazon is my primary source for books also.
I connect to my charger more than my computer. And I prefer being able to read/edit ebooks in a standard based format. As for being forced to connect to your computer to add books? That whole scenario is so dated.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly, I can purchase books on my Kobo from the Kobo store and have them wirelessly delivered to my ereader. For sideloaded content, I use calibre's server component. The same on my Tolino save for the ability to save sideloaded ebooks to the Tolino cloud. Where exactly does an Amazon ereader have a significant advantage here?

I connect to my charger more than my computer. And I prefer being able to read/edit ebooks in a standard based format. As for being forced to connect to your computer to add books? That whole scenario is so dated.
Are you saying that there's a way to get books from a Calibre server to your Kobo without using the web browser on the Kobo? (I don't consider that an option, to tell you the truth) If there is now a way to connect wirelessly to Calibre like the one built in to Calibre Companion, that would definitely change things for me with Kobo!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Are you saying that there's a way to get books from a Calibre server to your Kobo without using the web browser on the Kobo? (I don't consider that an option, to tell you the truth) If there is now a way to connect wirelessly to Calibre like the one built in to Calibre Companion, that would definitely change things for me with Kobo!

Shari
Sorry but I use the web browser to download from the calibre server. It's not the prettiest but it works. There is a bit of a security issue in that I have to include the usernameassword on the address line but since that is unique to calibre, not that big an issue for me.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-08-2018 at 10:45 PM.