Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What improvments would you like to see for the Glowlight 3?
Increase visual readability of Links/Dictionary 7 87.50%
Display Chapter page information while reading 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I think H202 has 4Gb --
The original H2O has 4GB and a microSD card slot.

The H2O 2nd edition has 8GB and no card slot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
duped post.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-16-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #18
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From Chapters, a Kobo Aura H2O2 is about $173 USD (including shipping), The nook Glowlight 3 is $119.99 without sales tax. That's a $53 difference. The H2O2 has 8GB ram and the comfortlight (orange light). Plus it is a 6.8" screen and has most f the features asked for in this thread.

The difference is worth it to get a larger screen and the features you want.
I have a Nook GL3 and a KA1. The GL3 has the most important thing: a much nicer-looking screen.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If I wanted a Kobo, I would have bought one. This is just a wishlist for owners of Glowlight 3 (which I bought for $89). I appreciate mention that Kobo has these features for people who have not yet bought something.

I didn't select either poll option. Don't understand the first, and the 2nd is already taken care of by pressing the center of the page. It instantly shows you the pages left in the chapter.

* additional font sizes on the large end (although thrilled with the recent addition of 2!)
* Sort of both authors and titles to include Z-A
* Sort to include recent purchases (and a reverse - old to new)
* New and Recent in My Library scroll should not include 6 year old magazines.
* Screensaver - I'd like to be able to change it.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-16-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #20
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
The original H2O has 4GB and a microSD card slot.

The H2O 2nd edition has 8GB and no card slot.
I saw the H2o in Amazon ad and assumed (wrongly) that it was te H2o2. Sorry about that.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
It's actually easier to get a Kobo and these features then to hope B&N implements them.
I like my Nook Glowlight 3 more than I like my Kobo. It has it's limitations but it manages to get a lot of stuff right.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
I have a Nook GL3 and a KA1. The GL3 has the most important thing: a much nicer-looking screen.
An interesting statement. What do you find nicer looking about the GL 3 screen? Personally, I prefer the extra screen area of the KA1. Both devices have the same generation 300 DPI eInk screens and both offer colour changing illumination. There is the capacitive vs. IR touchscreen debate where I must admit that having compared several ereaders, I can see little if any difference between the display using either technology.

On the differences side, the KA1 does offer a much wider assortment of fonts and font sizes along with the ability to finely customize font weight (including sideloaded fonts after patching) and easily adding more fonts. The KA1 will also display epub3 and epub3 fixed layout ebooks. The Gl 3 does offer physical page turn buttons but that seems to come at the price of a massive bezel -- is there any real need for the GL3 to be taller than the H202 which has a 6.8" screen?

Last edited by DNSB; 01-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An interesting statement. What do you find nicer looking about the GL 3 screen? Personally, I prefer the extra screen area of the KA1. Both devices have the same generation 300 DPI eInk screens and both offer colour changing illumination. There is the capacitive vs. IR touchscreen debate where I must admit that having compared several ereaders, I can see little if any difference between the display using either technology.

On the differences side, the KA1 does offer a much wider assortment of fonts and font sizes along with the ability to finely customize font weight (including sideloaded fonts after patching) and easily adding more fonts. The KA1 will also display epub3 and epub3 fixed layout ebooks. The Gl 3 does offer physical page turn buttons but that seems to come at the price of a massive bezel -- is there any real need for the GL3 to be taller than the H202 which has a 6.8" screen?
DNSB, do you own a GL3? Have you tried one? Just curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
DNSB, do you own a GL3? Have you tried one? Just curious.
I've seen the Kindle PW3 and the Kindle Voyage. I would not say either has a better screen than the H2O. So how can the nG3 screen be better than the KA1 screen? I don't get how.

Also, it's not GL3. GL is meaningless. It's n(for nook)G(for Glowlight)3(for version) aka nG3.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've seen the Kindle PW3 and the Kindle Voyage. I would not say either has a better screen than the H2O. So how can the nG3 screen be better than the KA1 screen? I don't get how.

Be that as it may, I'm still curious as to DNSB's experiences with the GL3.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Also, it's not GL3. GL is meaningless. It's n(for nook)G(for Glowlight)3(for version) aka nG3.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Be that as it may, I'm still curious as to DNSB's experiences with the GL3.
I would like to see a photo of this nG3 and the KA1 to see which is better.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #28
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Trying to keep this post on-topic. I have one huge need for the Nook platform, not really for me but for my parents. It's also the reason my spouse moved to Kindle:

- Full integration with Overdrive library books

I want a way to be able to check out a book in Overdrive and just have it automatically show up on my Nook without having to tether to a computer.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Trying to keep this post on-topic. I have one huge need for the Nook platform, not really for me but for my parents. It's also the reason my spouse moved to Kindle:

- Full integration with Overdrive library books

I want a way to be able to check out a book in Overdrive and just have it automatically show up on my Nook without having to tether to a computer.
I never check out library books, but that is something B&N ought to look into. It would be a good selling point for them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Gl 3 does offer physical page turn buttons but that seems to come at the price of a massive bezel -- is there any real need for the GL3 to be taller than the H202 which has a 6.8" screen?
You know, on the boards, I keep hearing about the bezels. And yeah, in pictures they are big honkers. But I own a GL3 and in person they never bother me. Even when it sits next to my Aura, which is a compact device.

I wish the Nook had a bunch of software improvements. But I have no complaints about the hardware.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote